What Are You Listening To Now?

It's Friday nite.

I got myself a few bottles of beer, as you do, and plugged in my electric bass to badly run through a few tunes.

The wife, for no reason at all, started singing an old song and I thought, 'Right - I'm gonna play that!'

Here's Bad Manners for you. They don't make 'em like this no more.

Ah yes

The far off days before 16,457 identikit ska punk bands ****ing ruined it all for everybody.

First in selection of great tracks that got covered by others, and the cover version was rubbish and/or a bad pastiche of the original (IMO).

Sorry about the quality of the You-Tube clip. Unfortunatly, there isn't a lot of live film of Slade recorded 50 years ago on You_Tuube. Anyway, just look at them! Listen to that rocking boogie, Listen to that (over amplified) vocal! Great times (for a 12 year old lad).

Quiet Riot? Oasis? Sooner have The Shirehorses verion.

First in selection of great tracks that got covered by others, and the cover version was rubbish and/or a bad pastiche of the original (IMO).

Sorry about the quality of the You-Tube clip. Unfortunatly, there isn't a lot of live film of Slade recorded 50 years ago on You_Tuube. Anyway, just look at them! Listen to that rocking boogie, Listen to that (over amplified) vocal! Great times (for a 12 year old lad).

You forgot the stacatto version :

As experienced for the first time by my good self from somewhere near the bottom of a pile of bodies on the floor of some shithole in Leeds. Would have been better without having my head trodden on a few times but once I regained my feet it was fun

I regularly snag a $20 note off a forgetful friend who swears Quiet Riot did this originally.

As experienced for the first time by my good self from somewhere near the bottom of a pile of bodies on the floor of some shithole in Leeds. Would have been better without having my head trodden on a few times but once I regained my feet it was fun

I've totally forgotten One Way System!
Brill times.

Branigans by any chance?

Attachments

• 1692014011497.png
    1692014011497.png
    997 KB · Views: 3
Branigans by any chance?
Yep thats the one. Was seeing a woman in Bradford at the time so went to gigs in Leeds a lot for a year & a bit.
I've totally forgotten One Way System!
Brill times.
Carefree youth. Freedom. Cheap booze. Cheap entertainment. Nowt not to love :)

Friday night - Time for another song that someone thought they would show their appreciation of, and do a cover version.

Grace Jones.
She was a character. She was her own person. She had an image and she would do some odd things too.

How odd to do an album where the title track was a version of an underground experimental industrial B-side of a single by an unknown artist.

I wasn't a Grace Jones fan - there was so much more music for me at the time - just like the original of the song she covered. I got the original single (still have it) and even managed to see the artist live.

Here is Warm Leatherette by The Normal (the chap that discovered and launched Depeche Mode).

Here she is covering Joy Division.

Well, I didn't know of that and after listening to it, I still don't know. Not really a fan.
Fair play to do this though - she did many covers and a very varied selection.

When I see Joy Division doing this track on the 'Something Else' TV show, I find it one of the most phenomenal live TV performances ever. Devestatingly good.

Well, I didn't know of that and after listening to it, I still don't know. Not really a fan.
Fair play to do this though - she did many covers and a very varied selection.

When I see Joy Division doing this track on the 'Something Else' TV show, I find it one of the most phenomenal live TV performances ever. Devestatingly good.

The more I listen to Joy Division, the more I like them. I was always a big New Order fan, as my dad had a lot of their stuff, but I was only born in ‘76, so obviously missed it as it happened. They’ve been a band that I’ve always liked, without knowing them at the time, it seems.

Nostalgia trip for me tonight. Always conjures up a certain time & place & people. All now long gone.

Plus you basically get 2 songs for the price of one.

Time for another music post in a different kitchen. OK, you may not enjoy 'surf music'. You may not enjoy cover versions. So, here are some surf cover versions - but wait, this had me smiling when I heard one of the tracks on the radio this week.

This is by one of the best Japanese surf rock bands on the planet - The Routes. They are releasing a new LP next month and although you can't get the LP yet, they've provided a sampler of the fifteen tracks on YuTub.

You may hate this, but give it a listen. I really like it myself, but I'm not going to rush out and buy it. Enjoy the weekend.

Apart from an album of Buzzcocks tracks, they did an LP of kraftwerk stuff too. You will have to give that a listen, Jeff.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663