What Are You Listening To Now?

Wow. I did TWO of those things then. Who'd have thought I'd have so much in common with Elton John when i was only 8
Still got the Matchbox Rolls? It could be worth a small fortune these days If it’s in mint condition..

Just to avoid any confusion 1) I woke up 2) Watched Grandstand.

No Rolls sadly. Matchbox or otherwise.

Tracy Chapman.

Thanks to my wife having mentioned her, after reading something. I'd forgotten how good she is. Chapman that is.

A couple of nights ago (11th July), I went to see a band that I've not managed to see live before.

They were, according to some/many, they were one of the most influential bands of the eighties that hardly anyone knows of.
Noel Gallagher loves them. Interpol ripped them off. Editors, White Lies, Slow Readers Club stole their sound.

They are The Chameleons and they were very very good. And the main guitarist is called Reg Smithies – what a great rock n roll name.

Here’s one of their better known tracks – Swamp Thing.

A couple of nights ago (11th July), I went to see a band that I've not managed to see live before.

They were, according to some/many, they were one of the most influential bands of the eighties that hardly anyone knows of.
Noel Gallagher loves them. Interpol ripped them off. Editors, White Lies, Slow Readers Club stole their sound.

They are The Chameleons and they were very very good. And the main guitarist is called Reg Smithies – what a great rock n roll name.

Here’s one of their better known tracks – Swamp Thing.

I remember seeing them somewhere in the mid 80s. No idea where other than it was outdoors. Some sort of mini festival thing. Spear of Destiny were on the bill, along with The Redskins (ahhh...Marxist skinheads...those were the days !! )

The Redskins, wow that's a throwback. Saw them twice; Camden EB and a GLC festival when skins stormed the stage, that wasn't fun.

**** it lets give them their due. I know Keep on Keepin' On is the critics choice but this was always my joint favourite along with Bring it Down

**** it lets give them their due. I know Keep on Keepin' On is the critics choice but this was always my joint favourite along with Bring it Down

Oh how I remember the Peel sessions. I was gonna guess 1982 - Just checked and they were in 82 and 83.
And Attila the Stockbroker, Them were the days. And The Newtown Neurotics.

Ahh, you've got me started now.

Blimey, I saw Attila and Jules the Poet, and New Model Army and... The 3 John's???... at a long gone pub venue that was where Hammersmith tube complex thing now is. That's got to be 80s sometime.

With living 'Up North' I never got a chance to see Attila, Seething Wells, or that lot - don't think they came north of Watford (Never saw The Milkshakes either, unfortunatly). We used to keep seeing John Cooper Clarke. Saw him playing shows with The Fall. Great days.

I saw JCC at Brunel University, not sure of the year but memorable because he cadged a fag off of a friend (I don't smoke)... JCC was shaking and needed a cig to calm his nerves. Pale and thin, he looked decidedly unwell. I can guess why.

I've seen The Fall numerous times over the years, despite MES supposedly not liking London. Last time at the Festival Hall (in 2004 Google tells me) which was not a venue you'd expect. Met MES once too, at the premier of his Hey Luciani play at Hammersmith Riverside. I doubt he remembered it, he was caned.

I saw JCC at Brunel University, not sure of the year but memorable because he cadged a fag off of a friend (I don't smoke)... JCC was shaking and needed a cig to calm his nerves. Pale and thin, he looked decidedly unwell. I can guess why.

I've seen The Fall numerous times over the years, despite MES supposedly not liking London. Last time at the Festival Hall (in 2004 Google tells me) which was not a venue you'd expect. Met MES once too, at the premier of his Hey Luciani play at Hammersmith Riverside. I doubt he remembered it, he was caned.
I saw JCC in the bar before a gig, he was downing G&Ts, he asked me to get him another one because he claimed to have no money on him. During the gig, he got somebody in the front row to get him another. Coincidentally, Attila was the support act.

Music's not dead until real people stop making it and that's not going to happen anytime soon. I'll bet there were plenty of people singing in church this morning.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463