What Are You Listening To Now?

Time for another music post in a different kitchen. OK, you may not enjoy 'surf music'. You may not enjoy cover versions. So, here are some surf cover versions - but wait, this had me smiling when I heard one of the tracks on the radio this week.

This is by one of the best Japanese surf rock bands on the planet - The Routes. They are releasing a new LP next month and although you can't get the LP yet, they've provided a sampler of the fifteen tracks on YuTub.

You may hate this, but give it a listen. I really like it myself, but I'm not going to rush out and buy it. Enjoy the weekend.

Apart from an album of Buzzcocks tracks, they did an LP of kraftwerk stuff too. You will have to give that a listen, Jeff.

I shut my eyes & all I could see was a nightclub scene from a 60s film. Go-Go dancers & such. Nowt wrong with that I guess.

I'm a huge Charlatans fan. The other day I heard Bring on the Lucie (Freda Peeple) by John Lennon and it occurred to me that this song must have been something of an inspiration to Rob Collins as they are bits of Just When You're Thinking Things Over AND Just Lookin' in it. For those who know those two Charlatans songs well, check out Bring on the Lucie (Freda Peeple) and see what you think...

Also, check out Fearless by Pink Floyd...

Now, tell me that riff is not also on Here Comes A Soul Saver by The Charlatans?

I'm a huge Charlatans fan. The other day I heard Bring on the Lucie (Freda Peeple) by John Lennon and it occurred to me that this song must have been something of an inspiration to Rob Collins as they are bits of Just When You're Thinking Things Over AND Just Lookin' in it. For those who know those two Charlatans songs well, check out Bring on the Lucie (Freda Peeple) and see what you think...

Also, check out Fearless by Pink Floyd...

Now, tell me that riff is not also on Here Comes A Soul Saver by The Charlatans?

They’re the band I’ve seen live the most times. The first time was in 1992 and I’ve seen them another 5 times since. Their earlier stuff is still my favourite, but that’s probably a lot of nostalgia, as they were one of the bands of my youth.

Charlatans, Inspiral Carpets, Stone Roses, The Farm, Primal Scream, Happy Mondays, Blur (early), Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine and the music of that time was the soundtrack of ages 13-18 for me and it was amazing.

Hi there, welcome back to Cover Version Corner, glad you can join us.

Now, every man and his dog knows and loves Hanging On The Telephone by Blondie. A really great track - I even po-go'd to it at Erics back in the day, as you do.

As you may not know, it is a cover version - the original is by The Nerves, a few years earlier.
The Nerves never really made it big but they had several good songs, mainly written by bassist Peter Case (he didn’t write Hanging On The Telephone tho, it was one written by The Nerves guitarist Jack Lee – He died earlier this year).

Anyway, here it is. Not as professional or polished as the Blondie version, but pure. (Sorry it's a crap video)

I didn't know.

I have a 7" of another cover version of the song, by Acid Reign, released in 1989.

I didn't know of that. I'm glad that I do now. I will be playing that agin. Indeed.

Welcome to another Friday night in the Cover Version Corner.

After last weeks post from Jeff - Acid Reign doing HOTT, I've got another high tempo energy version of a well known classic.

Back in the days when music could be fun and joyful, there was a band called The Dickies. Here's their take on Paranoid. All two minutes of it. I have on 7 inch, the grooves take up about one inch.

Enjoy. I may return tomorrow with something (if I can find it) that you may find one of the worst 'football related' records ever.

My parents bought me the 'Back Home' single when it was out. I loved it. I was eight at the time and I still have it. Somewhere.

Go on then.

I saw the England 1970 world cup squad LP in a second hand record shop in Birmingham about 25 years ago. So I bought it just so I could hear how bad it was.

I’ve got that album somewhere, the sleeve is shaped like a football.

the world beaters sing the world beaters

Ok. This track is not by footballing people but is, lyricly, football based.

I was in the car, listening to random tunes from my MP3 collection, and this track came on and I had to listen to it as I couldn't belive how crap it was. See what you think.

They don't make them like that anymore.

A bit of history.
Ed Banger And The Nosebleeds were part of the very first gen Manchster punk scene. I knew of them from their excellent single 'Ain't Been To No Music School'.
The line-up did change over a year or two but started with the highly regarded Vinnie Rilly (went to The Durutti Column), followed by the actual Billy Duffy - later the guitarist with The Cult.

Ed Banger left the Nosebleeds and he went on to do the track that I posted here, along with a few other items of similar quality. I only recently discovered that this track was produced by the actual Martin Zero (AKA Martin Hannett)!

After Ed Banger left, Billy Duffy got in for vocals the actual Morrisey. Indeed.
There are no recordings of Morrisey singing with The Nosebleeds unfortunatly. I would pay real money to hear him do 'Ain't Been To No Music School'.

Welcome to another Friday night in the Cover Version Corner.

After last weeks post from Jeff - Acid Reign doing HOTT, I've got another high tempo energy version of a well known classic.

Back in the days when music could be fun and joyful, there was a band called The Dickies. Here's their take on Paranoid. All two minutes of it. I have on 7 inch, the grooves take up about one inch.

Enjoy. I may return tomorrow with something (if I can find it) that you may find one of the worst 'football related' records ever.

Not as good as Eve of Destruction though. One of my favourite covers of all time.

Hi lads. I've just popped to the Cover Version Corner again and thought that some of you may enjoy something from REM.

In their early days they did several cover versions, some rather well. When they got a decent following, they set up a fan club and offered members some very exclusive records, cover versions generally. At the time, these were only available to fan club members and were very much sort after. Now, with that internet thing, everything is gettable - even this odd choice of Spizzenergi 'Where's Captain Kirk?'

REM doing 'Where's Captain Kirk'? You'll be telling me they did 'Merry Christmas Everybody' next.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669
9Coventry City4664
10Preston 4663