Who will be next...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he's happy to stay in Scotland, but if he's serious about becoming a top level manager he'll have to leave at some point. Depends what he wants from his career I suppose.

Of course but even now he is well out of our league whilst we remain at this level.

So does Micky Adams.

Warnock won this league only two years ago (his third promotion at this level) and is still sought after at this level. McCarthy won this league four years ago (his second league title at this level), kept Wolves up for two consecutive seasons afterwards and is still sought after at this level. Micky Adams finished second in this league a decade ago and is sought after at League Two level.

A Premier League team won't look at him until he's done something in a proper, competitive league. Not a chance.

A top premier league team might not but plenty of lower half teams would. Are you not forgetting McLeish at Birmingham?

Getting Celtic to qualify from the group stages in the champion's league in a group with Barcelona, is an achievement. He will have plenty of suitors.

I didn't want him back, I thought it was an awful appointment, I think he's struggling at the moment but I believe you benefit from consistency.

Cant we get an up and coming manager from the continent similar to Swansea?

Failing that, how about snatching Zola if Watford don't get up?

Warnock won this league only two years ago (his third promotion at this level) and is still sought after at this level. McCarthy won this league four years ago (his second league title at this level), kept Wolves up for two consecutive seasons afterwards and is still sought after at this level. Micky Adams finished second in this league a decade ago and is sought after at League Two level.

His record is still better than Pearson's which was your argument. I think Warnock has lost all enthusiasm for the game and has done nothing at Leeds. McCarthy has pulled Ipswich round well but was horrendously bad in his last season at Wolves. Plus his tactics are unbelievably negative. Apparently they had 2 goalkeepers on the bench at the weekend

Following on from the Di Canio appointment, maybe we can tempt big Ron back into management.

I could see O'Neill potentially doing what Nigel Worthington did when Rob Kelly got the push, coincidentally at more or less the same stage of the season.

His stock has been damaged by his time at Sunderland and if he could turn around City's form, even just to get a decent enough performance to put us in the playoffs and do reasonably well there, he'd be back in the shop window.

If of course we were to be promoted via the playoffs, he'd be a Premiership manager again at a club where he is universally adored. At this stage in his career, he could do a lot worse.

Pearson's time is up, but it's vital the Thais make the right choice in replacing him. Managers like Roy Keane and Michael Appleton are available for a reason.

Eddie Howe

MON spotted at Ali Baba Kebabs on Welford Road buying a chicken burger and 20 mixed kebabs, Ian Marshall expected to join him as fitness coach.

I could see O'Neill potentially doing what Nigel Worthington did when Rob Kelly got the push, coincidentally at more or less the same stage of the season.

His stock has been damaged by his time at Sunderland and if he could turn around City's form, even just to get a decent enough performance to put us in the playoffs and do reasonably well there, he'd be back in the shop window.

If of course we were to be promoted via the playoffs, he'd be a Premiership manager again at a club where he is universally adored. At this stage in his career, he could do a lot worse.

Pearson's time is up, but it's vital the Thais make the right choice in replacing him. Managers like Roy Keane and Michael Appleton are available for a reason.
Appleton because he's inept. Keane because he's an arse.

His record is still better than Pearson's which was your argument. I think Warnock has lost all enthusiasm for the game and has done nothing at Leeds. McCarthy has pulled Ipswich round well but was horrendously bad in his last season at Wolves. Plus his tactics are unbelievably negative. Apparently they had 2 goalkeepers on the bench at the weekend

Warnoc was always going to struggle at Leeds though. They've sold their biggest assets to Norwich and not really replaced them. That's the fault of the owners, not Warnock

The last bit is exactly correct. I still don't want to see him go, though I understand why the decision might be made, but to sack him with no immediate replacement ready would be pointless at best.

Christ it can't be that difficult to work out what I meant. Did you think I was including Brian Little in there as well because his record is better than Pearson's? I even named the managers I'd favour. Micky Adams was absent, you'll notice.

Whether or not you like my suggestions for a successor surely you can now see that Pearson is done. He hasn't improved us having spent millions. He has failed.

Last edited:
Christ it can't be that difficult to work out what I meant. Did you think I was including Brian Little in there as well because his record is better than Pearson's? I even named the managers I'd favour. Micky Adams was absent, you'll notice.

Whether or not you like my suggestions for a successor surely you can now see that Pearson is done. He hasn't improved us having spent millions. He has failed.

I think he's on borrowed time yes, but I'd still sooner give him next season. I'd argue that this season has been a huge improvement on the last few until this slump.

Somebody a FT suggested the other day Peter Schmichael on the basis that he knows the team having watched a lot of the games this season. At the time I thought it was a bit daft but on reflection, just until the end of the season, would it be a bad idea?

I think he's on borrowed time yes, but I'd still sooner give him next season. I'd argue that this season has been a huge improvement on the last few until this slump.

The 'until this slump' bit is irrelevant. Being second in January is no good if we fail to even make the top six. We have lost more games than we had at this stage last season. We have three more points. Where is the huge improvement? I'm afraid the quarter of a season long 'slump' counts as part of the season. It has to be included in the assessment.

Somebody a FT suggested the other day Peter Schmichael on the basis that he knows the team having watched a lot of the games this season. At the time I thought it was a bit daft but on reflection, just until the end of the season, would it be a bad idea?

Yes. No point getting rid in favour of somebody who hasn't demonstrated they are capable of doing what we need them to do.

Probably, yes. Does Schmeichel even have his coaching badges? Or shown any interest in management?

Lots of fans would've been to every game this season; I wouldn't trust them as managers either.

Last edited:

Has he managed anywhere? Does he even have his coaching badges? The only point to get an interim manager would be to get us in the playoffs and I'd sooner risk that with someone with some managerial experiences.

Plus, most of us have seen us a lot this season and would make awful managers! Myself included!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566