Will Leicester Get Promotion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Will Leicester Get Promotion

I think we've got a great chance. I definitely think we'll make the play offs now we've strengthened our attack and we have a good shot at 2nd. The only risk is if we narrowly miss out on the second automatic spot, I'd be worried that we'll not win the play offs. It seems to be very often the case that if a team is pipped to second place, the deflation means that they stay in this division for another year. Hopefully we can avoid this scenario and start pulling away from the teams behind us.

I think the important thing here is to sit back and think about how monumentaly shit we have been in different spells since we dropped out of the top division.

Think of some of those players who stained the blue shirt with their shocking lack of ability as footballers at Championship level.

I think if you spend a little while pondering those players and managers and some of the shocking results and performances they produced, you have no option but to think we have a bloody good chance this season, especially since the arrival of a player who can win us points in games where we have previously struggled, this season included.

Simple answer, best chance in 10 years.

Last edited:

The only risk is if we narrowly miss out on the second automatic spot, I'd be worried that we'll not win the play offs. It seems to be very often the case that if a team is pipped to second place, the deflation means that they stay in this division for another year. Hopefully we can avoid this scenario and start pulling away from the teams behind us.

It's a myth. Three out of the last five play-off winners finished 3rd in the table.

Even if we won all our remaining games, Hull could also win all of theirs and, should they improve their goal difference to overtake ours, they would beat us. I'll concede this is a little unlikely :icon_bigg, but we could technically win all our games and still end up in the playoffs.

Not even in cafe's wildest dreams do his lot overtake our goal difference.

It's a myth. Three out of the last five play-off winners finished 3rd in the table.

It's not a myth. Finishing 3rd is different to 'just missing out on 2nd.' West Ham and Derby are the exceptions but even West Ham went into the final day knowing that automatic was a long shot and so realistically were already preparing for the playoffs. Swansea and Hull finished 4pts behind 2nd and Watford finished 9pts adrift in 05/06. I'm saying if you get to the final day of the season with a chance of automatic and you miss out, it has a heavy impact on your chances to go up via the play offs. Sheff Utd and Ipswich Town are perhaps the best recent examples of that.

Last edited:
I think it's more a case of the playoffs being something completely else than a full season. The difference between the teams placed three to six is often little even over several months, and over two games it will be marginal; hence, anyone can beat anyone and the assumption that the disappointment felt by the second team to miss out on a direct promotion spot is the cause of the defeat is just a guess.

Last edited:
Today two days after our victory against Wolves there were away victories for Cardiff and Hull while Palace and Watford won at home. There does seem to be a marked difference in quality between the top five and the middle of the table..

It is often said that all teams go through a bad patch. It may be that one or two of our rivals will fall away; it seems to me unlikely that three of them will. Two things seem clear to me - we cannot afford to be one of those teams that has a bad patch and the games between the top clubs may well be even more decisive than usual.

Let's hope that we've already had our bad patch.

The current table on the BBC website shows Leicester having dropped to 5th place with 53 points. Hull are in 2nd with 56, Watford have 55 and Palace 54 !!

All the clubs seem to have played 2 games today so at least we have games in hand.

Last edited:
The current table on the BBC website shows Leicester having dropped to 5th place with 53 points. Hull are in 2nd with 56, Watford have 55 and Palace 54 !!

All the clubs seem to have played 2 games today so at least we have games in hand.

It's a cock up by the Press Association who provide the tables. The table on Sky is the same: http://www1.skysports.com/football/competitions/championship
And the official site: http://www.lcfc.com/fixtures-results/league-table/

It's not the first time this has happened this season.

The Press Association are useless. Still not over the way they robbed me of my money the other week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669