Speculation Winter '13 - Spring '14 Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
given the decent record soton have of buying english players from the lower leagues, thats encouraging.

he's a pest, he has excellent pace (not just over a short distance) but his first touch is up and down. his stamina is good and his improvement since last season is clear. as they say, the first season is always tough. well done nigel on this one .

In the games I've watched recently his first touch has been pretty good.

is he really that good?

It's impossible to say with any certainty. Until his last few games, I thought aspects of his game were dreadful. His first touch at times was not of a professional standard and his lack of composure and variable positional sense too often let him down.

But it is remarkable what experience and confidence can do for someone. This season, he's added a level of commitment and fitness that promoted him above the Waghorn/Schlupp options. He began to lead the defence from the front. His chasing down of lost causes and determination to make life difficult for defenders has been admirable and endearing. This bought him some time.

In the last month or so, the technical side of his game has transformed. I'd genuinely not believe it was the same player. In one recent home game, his touch and understanding was top class, genuinely top Premier League quality. Whether this was always in him or whether it's developed on the training ground is unclear. But the £1m spent no longer looks absurd. It looks like a terrific piece of business. It's as if he finally believes that he is good enough for this level.

His career stands or falls by what happens over the next year. We'll go up. But can we play two strikers in the top league? Personally, I doubt it. In which case, is Vardy good enough to play as the lone striker? Who knows. What happens when we lose a few, will his confidence crumble?

I can see an equal case for him being in the England squad next year or out on loan to a poor Championship team scrambling for a goal.

Last edited:
IF we get promoted, and IF we were to revert to a regular 4-2-3-1 like most teams do in the top flight, I reckon both Vardy and Nugent would be capable of playing in the 3 behind a central striker. Not saying that would be our best option, but I don't think their careers in the top flight, if they get that chance, would stand or fall on whether they can be the 1 up top.

It's impossible to say with any certainty. Until his last few games, I thought aspects of his game were dreadful. His first touch at times was not of a professional standard and his lack of composure and variable positional sense too often let him down.

But it is remarkable what experience and confidence can do for someone. This season, he's added a level of commitment and fitness that promoted him above the Waghorn/Schlupp options. He began to lead the defence from the front. His chasing down of lost causes and determination to make life difficult for defenders has been admirable and endearing. This bought him some time.

In the last month or so, the technical side of his game has transformed. I'd genuinely not believe it was the same player. In one recent home game, his touch and understanding was top class, genuinely top Premier League quality. Whether this was always in him or whether it's developed on the training ground is unclear. But the £1m spent no longer looks absurd. It looks like a terrific piece of business. It's as if he finally believes that he is good enough for this level.

His career stands or falls by what happens over the next year. We'll go up. But can we play two strikers in the top league? Personally, I doubt it. In which case, is Vardy good enough to play as the lone striker? Who knows. What happens when we lose a few, will his confidence crumble?

I can see an equal case for him being in the England squad next year or out on loan to a poor Championship team scrambling for a goal.

No stats? Boooooooooooo.

Good post BN. I have not seen Vardy live so have been wanting to understand how he has transformed this season. Not sure he will crack the England squad but here's hoping he is playing in the Premier League next year with us (Still not claiming we a nailed on PL team yet!)

I think he'd be a good addition if we went up.

Sent from my Dell Office PC using Chrome Browser version 32.0.1700.107 m

Not a typical Pearson signing ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

An experienced centre-half with Premier League and/or international experience. That sounds like a Pearson signing to me

He´s probably on outrageous wages & We can´t afford it.

Sent from my living room using my index finger
Quite. If we were to get promoted, I think the money that would be spunked on his wages would be better spent on at least a couple of other players.

Sent from my office using all the fingers of my left hand only.

Last edited:
Jesus Earthquake Christ, we're going to be linked with everyone on the planet now aren't we?

Sent from a dogging hotspot in Thurmaston using some woman's arse as a kind of drum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263