Alan Young

Status
Not open for further replies.
They haven't sacked him either - no more than City have sacked those no longer required players who had reached the end of their contracts.

But the Leicester Mercury had a massive ' ALAN YOUNG SACKED' story? Surely they can't be trying to dress it up, the sneeky buggers.

I'd put myself forward as his replacement but I couldn't stand working along side stringer. He'd have to go before i'd accept the role :)
Maybe our own 4-4-2 will step into the breach. Maybe he can shed some light on what's going on? (Not sure he'd be allowed to though)

No disrespect to Jason, but I couldn't listen to his voice for more than a few minutes even if he would be a decent match analyser.

Again. What did Radio Leicester do wrong? Still don't see it.

They got rid of someone who was popular with a certain set of fans, and not so popular with another set. The radio chiefs thought we needed a change, and apparently they're really bad people for doing it (even though this happens within business every day of the week).

It's farcical the length that some people are going to over this matter. I mean protesting outside the radio station. FFS :icon_roll

It's farcical the length that some people are going to over this matter. I mean protesting outside the radio station. FFS :icon_roll
If you look at the photo, most of those there look as if they've been allowed out of their sheltered accommodation for an hour or so.

Whilst generally not jumping on conspiracy theory bandwagons, as the BBC twerp kept repeating 'We gave reasons to Alan Young, but it would not be appropriate to repeat them in public', is it possible that Alan has done or said something to someone that is very non-PC and the BBC are wanting to drop him fast because of it, rather than just 'moving forwards' like they did when they got rid of Neville Fulger?

Exactly. Why hasn't Youngy lifted the lid on what reason he was given?

Exactly. Why hasn't Youngy lifted the lid on what reason he was given?

And why on earth does he feel it has changed his relation with the club? What has it got to do with them?

Can't believe people made the effort. A shit commentator doesn't get a renewed contract...wow. If it's that important to people then I feel for them.

No disrespect to Jason, but I couldn't listen to his voice for more than a few minutes even if he would be a decent match analyser.

I do not want to be a commentator. My voice isn't strong enough to do it. It simply isn't me. I'm aware of the criticism from some regarding my ability to do commentary. It can hurt sometimes but I have to deal with that. In this industry, you have to develop a thick skin.

I feel I am stronger at presenting and producing programmes, which is what I generally do. I'm still relatively new to it all so am still developing - just like every other broadcaster.

I'm sure the matter of who will be replacing Alan will become clearer soon.

Last edited:
Well said, 4-4-2. It's hard in any job when 'constructive criticism' of your role is put out there, but it must be especially difficult when it's done in such a public manner, as in your situation. But it's also extremely useful to understand your own strengths and weaknesses, and being able to do that will help you no end for the rest of your career. Not everyone can do that, so congratulations on being strong enough to look at the bigger picture.

I enjoy listening to you, and Ian, even though he can sometimes be a bit silly, as well as being guilty of 'doing his job' by attempting to turn non-stories into something more controversial and salacious. On the whole, though, the current team is the best we've had on RL for many a year, in my opinion. It's not perfect, but it's a massive improvement on the likes of the dreadful Barber, and the much-loved Nev Foulger, whose commentary was easy to listen to but predictable and formulaic (Lennon... Lennon to Izzet... Izzet... Izzet to Savage... Savage... Savage to... etc.)

As for Youngy, I've enjoyed his banter and he's an entertaining speaker, but along with many others, I do want a bit more from the football expert in the team. It's fine - indeed I imagine it's encouraged - for the presenters to be the 'straight guy' and ask fairly basic questions that the ex-pro can then answer with authority (the role that Lineker plays on MOTD, which is a shame as he has really interesting and informed opinions that aren't his job, as the presenter, to convey). But the co-commentator with football experience needs to come across as knowledgeable about tactics and players, and Youngy often appeared to be out of touch with modern football and current footballers, which I'd consider the minimum for his job. You could compare it to the situation with the idiot Lawrenson, and the BBC have rightly reduced his role recently (although how he ended up getting the world cup final is beyond me). He definitely needs kicking into touch.

Anyway, best of luck for the future, Youngy - maybe it's time to knuckle down, embrace modern world football, do lots of research, and hopefully come back stronger in the future.

However, I feel that RL have made the right decision at this time, and the sentimental faux outrage that a small minority have expressed is nothing more than the unfortunate modern phenomena of people thinking they can 'demand' something and get the likes of the BBC to back down and bend to their will. I do hope that RL sticks to its guns and doesn't bow to a few hysterical complaints among tens of thousands of otherwise satisfied City fans.

One more thing about Alan and the complainers' view that he's 'Leicester through and through' (or Lestuh fru n fru, innit?). I'm sure he's admitted that he didn't really follow the club between the time he left as a player and the time he began as a commentator. Let's face it, he's from Kirkcaldy, and while it was the pinnacle of his playing career, he was only at the club for three years and wasn't exactly one of the main players at that time. If anything, he has a stronger connection to Notts County, and he still lives in that area. If Youngy is Leicester through and through, then I don't know what we are... we must be Lestuh fru n fru n fru n fru n fru till we bluddy well bleed blue n white, innit pal?

I enjoy listening to you, and Ian, even though he can sometimes be a bit silly, as well as being guilty of 'doing his job' by attempting to turn non-stories into something more controversial and salacious.

it's time to knuckle down, embrace modern world football,

faux outrage

people thinking they can 'demand' something and get the likes of the BBC to back down and bend to their will.

hysterical complaints .

Desert Fox this was a fascinating post at a serious length and deserves a response.
(1) When was the Football Forum "salacious."? That must have been an enjoyable episode and I missed it.
(2) It is difficult to embrace something if you are knuckling down.
(3) What is it about "modern world football" that Alan Young failed to "embrace".
(4) Most people misunderstand "faux outrage" as meaning an outrage they do not share rather than fake. I am sure you are aware of the meaning but I am not sure why you feel the outrage is not genuine. Do you really believe that people like myself are secretly glad to see him go - and if so on what evidence?
(5) There may be some hysterical complaints though I have not heard any. While I accept that you feel the people complaining are misguided surely you have would agree that the vast majority have not been "hysterical".
(6) We are frequently told that the Forum is "our show". That means that the opinions of listeners whether for or against should be taken seriously.

I do not want to be a commentator. My voice isn't strong enough to do it. It simply isn't me. I'm aware of the criticism from some regarding my ability to do commentary. It can hurt sometimes but I have to deal with that. In this industry, you have to develop a thick skin.

I feel I am stronger at presenting and producing programmes, which is what I generally do. I'm still relatively new to it all so am still developing - just like every other broadcaster.

Fair play to you for this. I agree with you completely. To me, you're the best sports presenter on RL by a country mile but a pretty ordinary commentator. If you're aware of your strengths/weaknesses at your tender age, you should go far in your chosen profession and I wish you well.

On Alan Young, I will reserve judgement until I understand who his replacement will be. AY was a major step up from the likes of Walsh and Piper, but I readily acknowledge that plans may be in place to effectively upgrade the analyst role.

The advantage of AY was a certain maturity in worldliness and experience that contrasted well against his youthful colleagues. He would also offer an opinion, right or wrong. Too many pundits are scared or incapable of stating what they think. IS would make a daft statement to be rightly lambasted by AY for it or IS would tease AY on his 'old school' perspective. This is all good local radio stuff.

For AY's replacement, my preference would be someone not too closely linked to the club or players but who has a definite affinity with the club. Someone with strong and interesting views that he isn't afraid to state.

If it turns out to be someone like Kevin Phillips, then RL have made a rather big cock-up.

Thank you for taking my comment in the right spirit. Certainly it wasn't meant in a destructive way and as others (and yourself) have said, you do have strengths in other areas and I would agree with that.

you're still better than Stringer.

His 'hard hitting' questions to Radio Leicester boss was hilarious.

On Alan Young, I will reserve judgement until I understand who his replacement will be. AY was a major step up from the likes of Walsh and Piper, but I readily acknowledge that plans may be in place to effectively upgrade the analyst role.

For AY's replacement, my preference would be someone not too closely linked to the club or players but who has a definite affinity with the club. Someone with strong and interesting views that he isn't afraid to state.

If it turns out to be someone like Kevin Phillips, then RL have made a rather big cock-up.

Just wanted to totally agree with Brown Nose on the points I've highlighted.

The first point would be a step backwards

The latter point, I want the expert as my eyes and to tell me when a player is not playing well and what they need to do to rectify it. A member of the current coaching staff could not do this.

Desert Fox this was a fascinating post at a serious length and deserves a response.
(1) When was the Football Forum "salacious."? That must have been an enjoyable episode and I missed it.
(2) It is difficult to embrace something if you are knuckling down.
(3) What is it about "modern world football" that Alan Young failed to "embrace".
(4) Most people misunderstand "faux outrage" as meaning an outrage they do not share rather than fake. I am sure you are aware of the meaning but I am not sure why you feel the outrage is not genuine. Do you really believe that people like myself are secretly glad to see him go - and if so on what evidence?
(5) There may be some hysterical complaints though I have not heard any. While I accept that you feel the people complaining are misguided surely you have would agree that the vast majority have not been "hysterical".
(6) We are frequently told that the Forum is "our show". That means that the opinions of listeners whether for or against should be taken seriously.
Very good, David! A few quick replies for you, if you really are interested in my opinions...

1) I bet you could find examples if you went back through enough of the waffle.
2) You need a flexible spine and a bit of practice! It's worth it...
3) Everything, pretty much. Knowing the names of opposing players, for example, and spending a few moments before the broadcast to learn how to pronounce their names, what position they play in and the type of player they are. As a listener, I shouldn't know more about this stuff than the football expert on the show, in my opinion, but maybe you think that's OK.
4) Are you honestly suggesting that people screaming in ALL CAPS that it's a DISGRACE that someone they don't actually know has not had their part-time contract renewed by a local radio station are genuinely outraged? Maybe the meaning of that word has changed without me realizing. Heaven help them when something that's actually important happens in their life. They'll have to invent a new word for how they feel then.
5) I'd say that that if you go out of your way to show up at a local radio station to picket the studio, shouting and waving placards, because someone you don't even know has not had their part-time contract renewed, is a hysterical reaction and way out of proportion. Maybe I'm out of touch with how things are in Leicester now - is this the normal procedure for registering mild upset? In which case, what's proportionate when you've been screwed by the government, beaten up by the police or ripped off by a corporation - start planting bombs? Maybe I'm just too laid back, I'm more of a letter-writer myself, David. But I'm considering upping my game by including anthrax in my letters from now on.
6) I also listen to the show; does my opinion not count? Or is that reserved for people that live in Leicester and are pwoper fans cuz they luv Youn9y? Perhaps I've not got enuff pashun to be taken seriously. Did you read the guff printed in the Mercury? Call me a cynic, but it appears to me that you only get listened to if you're foaming at the mouth these days. Where is the balance? The vast majority of City fans are obviously not bothered about this, but the silent majority are being ignored as the media use the extreme views of a few to supposedly represent the voice of City fans. I'm just tired of this sort of shit, to be honest.

As I said, I like Alan and his on-air banter, but he's had four years to take his job seriously, yet he hasn't even heard of half the players we play against, or players we might be interested in signing. I can understand why RL don't think this is quite good enough in an era when their listeners have easy access to all the main football leagues across the world.

Anyway, I apologize for giving my opinions. I've learnt where my place is, so I'll pipe down now and leave it to those with steam coming out of their ears to shape my future. They seem like an intelligent bunch that we should all listen to!

:icon_roll

Nobody has been harder on Mr. Young than I have...I thought you did a decent job in role you clearly aren't comfortable with. I've always got time for someone who knows what they don't know...a trait our Alan seems to lack.

Very good, David! A few quick replies for you, if you really are interested in my opinions...

1) I bet you could find examples if you went back through enough of the waffle.
2) You need a flexible spine and a bit of practice! It's worth it...
3) Everything, pretty much. Knowing the names of opposing players, for example, and spending a few moments before the broadcast to learn how to pronounce their names, what position they play in and the type of player they are. As a listener, I shouldn't know more about this stuff than the football expert on the show, in my opinion, but maybe you think that's OK.
4) Are you honestly suggesting that people screaming in ALL CAPS that it's a DISGRACE that someone they don't actually know has not had their part-time contract renewed by a local radio station are genuinely outraged? Maybe the meaning of that word has changed without me realizing. Heaven help them when something that's actually important happens in their life. They'll have to invent a new word for how they feel then.
5) I'd say that that if you go out of your way to show up at a local radio station to picket the studio, shouting and waving placards, because someone you don't even know has not had their part-time contract renewed, is a hysterical reaction and way out of proportion. Maybe I'm out of touch with how things are in Leicester now - is this the normal procedure for registering mild upset? In which case, what's proportionate when you've been screwed by the government, beaten up by the police or ripped off by a corporation - start planting bombs? Maybe I'm just too laid back, I'm more of a letter-writer myself, David. But I'm considering upping my game by including anthrax in my letters from now on.
6) I also listen to the show; does my opinion not count? Or is that reserved for people that live in Leicester and are pwoper fans cuz they luv Youn9y? Perhaps I've not got enuff pashun to be taken seriously. Did you read the guff printed in the Mercury? Call me a cynic, but it appears to me that you only get listened to if you're foaming at the mouth these days. Where is the balance? The vast majority of City fans are obviously not bothered about this, but the silent majority are being ignored as the media use the extreme views of a few to supposedly represent the voice of City fans. I'm just tired of this sort of shit, to be honest.

As I said, I like Alan and his on-air banter, but he's had four years to take his job seriously, yet he hasn't even heard of half the players we play against, or players we might be interested in signing. I can understand why RL don't think this is quite good enough in an era when their listeners have easy access to all the main football leagues across the world.

Anyway, I apologize for giving my opinions. I've learnt where my place is, so I'll pipe down now and leave it to those with steam coming out of their ears to shape my future. They seem like an intelligent bunch that we should all listen to!

:icon_roll

Like a lovely warm bath, reading this post was.

Well said Dessie boy. Now get back to uploading pictures of snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363