Post Match Arsenal 2 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most importantly we are still top with a 2 point lead, but with the media spotlight now shining brightly over North London, we can hopefully quietly go about our business of regrouping in preparation of a run of games, that if we show the same application, quality and ruthlessness as demonstrated throughout the season, should secure our champions league qualification and cement our participation in the race for the title for the remainder of the season.

I do think too many Arsenal fans and the media have it confused about yesterday being a must win for a title challenge. Reading some of the comments online would make you wonder if they're now 8 points clear. Personally think Arsenal will fluff their lines against manure and we'll need to keep winning to keep Spurs back a bit.

Re-watched the two challenges from Simpson. The first was a foul but nowhere near bad enough to merit a yellow card. It was clearly only given because of the crowd and player reaction.

Just before the challenge for the second yellow, Giroud and Simpson were holding each other. It was totally 50/50 if you watch the whole thing. The only reason it was a booking is because the crowd and Giroud went nuts at the ref.

The ref was a spineless twat in both instances.

I also re-watched the Mahrez penalty appeal and for me, it was more of a penalty than the Vardy one. Vardy went looking for the challenge whereas Monreal clearly kicked Mahrez's right leg. Either it was Mahrez's exaggerated fall that meant it was given or, much more likely, it was the spineless twat of a ref again.

It was an important week in the title race, but not decisive.

I think Man City have left themselves with too much to do. I can't see them doing better than all 3 other contender's.

Arsenal and Tottenham have confidence boosting wins which will go a long way to help them, but I think people are under estimating our character if they think we will crumble after that defeat.

We are still in the driving seat and, realistically I think we could still lose 2 more games and be champions, all this weekend showed is that we aren't going to run away with the league.

Utterly bizarre that your first response is to apportion blame. That was a ****ing heroic performance.

Two points clear, nice run of fixtures to come, and in a better position relative to fifth than we were before the weekend's game. Life is good.

Well said! I was really worried, in the build up, when EVERYONE was making us clear favourites for this match and the League, that we'd bottle it. We didn't and, even when down to 10 men, we were unlucky to lose. Very proud of the team.

Tremendous effort from the boys and it is a shame the biggest influence on the game was the ref, who was clearly influenced by the crowd. I was sat in the home end and after the Vardy penalty they were screaming for everything.

Within the first 12 minutes of the second half the ref had awarded 5 free kicks to Arsenal and given out 4 yellow cards to Leicester players, two of which were for Simpson. Yes some were yellow cards (Kante especially) but the ref couldn't wait to get his card out and appease the fans - surprising considering Mr Atkinson is considered one of the best refs in the league and has picked as one of England's refs at Euro 2016.

The atmosphere at the KP this season has been electric, but maybe as fans we need to start playing a little dirty when it comes to applying pressure to the ref for every decision. It may not be the nicest side of football, but I am in no doubt that the fans got Arsenal the 3 points yesterday.

I was sat amongst the bastards and believe me first half they were shitting themselves screaming at their team and ref for every decision . " Facking Cheats " they screamed after the penalty . One particular fan looked like his head was going to explode as he spat and snarled at the referee as they left the pitch at half time . Second half him and his mates were jumping up again contesting every single tackle we made . It worked as the ref made one decision their way and they gave it the big hallelujah . Then the ref gave 4 yellows for four tackles which involved Simpsons sending off . This was the obvious turning point which gave them the momentum . Although angry guy still jumped up and called Sanchez a facking dick head .
Thankfully I was half a mile away when the winning goal went in although this was painful enough.
They are now world beaters apparently. If we don't win it I sincerely hope we finish above them . The afternoon was followed by Man city v Spurs match in St Albans in a pub full of Spurs fans so all in all a strange old day .
Looking forward to Norwich and sitting with my more positive and definitely less critical Blue Army !

Tremendous effort from the boys and it is a shame the biggest influence on the game was the ref, who was clearly influenced by the crowd. I was sat in the home end and after the Vardy penalty they were screaming for everything.

Within the first 12 minutes of the second half the ref had awarded 5 free kicks to Arsenal and given out 4 yellow cards to Leicester players, two of which were for Simpson. Yes some were yellow cards (Kante especially) but the ref couldn't wait to get his card out and appease the fans - surprising considering Mr Atkinson is considered one of the best refs in the league and has picked as one of England's refs at Euro 2016.

The atmosphere at the KP this season has been electric, but maybe as fans we need to start playing a little dirty when it comes to applying pressure to the ref for every decision. It may not be the nicest side of football, but I am in no doubt that the fans got Arsenal the 3 points yesterday.

Arsenal have been especially good at this for years. Their players and fans alike have a coherent ability to yap at the ref when things aren't going their way and turn the tide of games. Will never forget the sight of Ian Wight and co. swamping the main man after we scored our equaliser in the famous 3-3 draw, if Arsenal are ever hard done by the world knows about it......

What was proving to be a really exciting battle where the Arsenal players didn't want to be on the ball for more than a second for fear of Kante, was ruined by the sending off.

Without the dismissal Arsenal had no answers, they were, as is often the case, spineless little bedwetters.

There ground was like a library for 50 mins yesterday, massively proud of the team and Ranieri handled Sky's drivel superbly, spoke to an Arsenal fan today he was disgusted by their players attitude. There are huge problems at that club you could see the relief on their faces when the whistle blew. One thing no one can take away from us is that we play football and we do it fairly, said Arsenal fan was amazed at how awesome our fans are especially last season, he said that would never happen at the Emirates.

Ranieri was spot on when he said if it had remained 11v11 we would have won, I think we would have done it by 2 or 3 nil, Arsenal are poor mentally I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop out of the top four shortly

Spot on MA. I think a Ref can be swayed even subconsciously by the constant barrage of appeals from players. Add in the baying from biased fans it is bound to have an impact over ninety minutes. Having said that I have never seen a Ref change his decision, unless he has input from one of the assistant Ref's but I am not saying he always gets it right. I genuinely believe that the introduction of technology as in other sports, would help change this almost mindless challenging of decisions. For example, Captains should be given three maybe four challenges a game but no more, that way they have to be sure that the challenge has a chance of success. The 'Techno Ref', decision would be final he would have access to replays and different angles and have to take into account the Ref's position on the field and what he would see from that position. I realise that this argument is very contentious but something has to change, there is so much at stake these days that the Ref needs help and technology is clearly the way forward. ( I will now duck and run for cover)

Spot on MA. I think a Ref can be swayed even subconsciously by the constant barrage of appeals from players. Add in the baying from biased fans it is bound to have an impact over ninety minutes. Having said that I have never seen a Ref change his decision, unless he has input from one of the assistant Ref's but I am not saying he always gets it right. I genuinely believe that the introduction of technology as in other sports, would help change this almost mindless challenging of decisions. For example, Captains should be given three maybe four challenges a game but no more, that way they have to be sure that the challenge has a chance of success. The 'Techno Ref', decision would be final he would have access to replays and different angles and have to take into account the Ref's position on the field and what he would see from that position. I realise that this argument is very contentious but something has to change, there is so much at stake these days that the Ref needs help and technology is clearly the way forward. ( I will now duck and run for cover)
They shouldn't be given the opportunity to ANY challenges. In fact, barraging the ref should be punished with a straight red card. That would stop the moaning cry babies.

Funny that Carzola is mentioned in that article. I watched a game a couple of years ago and Arsenal were playing I think it was West Brom at the Emirates. The great Santi went over in the box and it was plain as day that the defender was no where near him, replays made it look even worse from several angles. Big howls, lots of shouting at the ref - penalty.

Arsenal would only be happy if UEFA introduced a rule that nobody was allowed within a metre of any of their players during a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669