Brexit

A Starbucks cost around £3 so my daughter tells me.
The point I was trying to make (poorly) is the public are happy to spend £3 a day on a coffee or pay someone £20 to wash their car but the moment a kilo of potatoes goes up 1p due to staff shortages then they all jump on social media complaining about it
I have literally never seen this

I have literally never seen this

Me neither. Most of the reportage about the food shortages has focussed on (from memory) KFC chicken, Nandos, Milk shakes, fizzy pop, iceberg lettuces, flavoured crisps, and now mildly alcoholic gnat's piss - hardly a nutritious item like the humble spud gets a mention. These doomsterish reports usually accompanied by what appears to be a stock photo of a very small convenience store's crisp shelf looking sadly bereft of Monster Munch, though the humble ready salted bags still seem plentiful.

I've been patiently waiting for a Brexit bonus - this seems to be one.

Yeah something better than the Press that are 100% accurate about everything, I mean who can forget that great goal Vardy scored with his head against Wolves. I was there and watched him score it with his foot but the media reported it as scored with his head so I was wrong.

ok, I’ll play, show us a link to a site saying he scored with his foot

https://talkingballs.uk/ and most other websites.

I think it was the BBC that said he scored with his head. https://talkingballs.uk/threads/leicester-1-wolves-0.40693/post-1434244
Oh the bbc still has it wrong now, dunderheads. A nice point , but there’s a difference to being confident in disagreeing with every media report and being confident in disagreeing with some. And there’s a difference between the event being something you see… or the reasons behind 100,000 drivers missing, which you cannot possible know from a poxy vox pops that you cannot extrapolate from

And something being wrong in the media, doesn’t prove that all media is wrong for all reasons. Not for logic, as we established

Sounds wonderful. Making goods more expensive does seem a good way to end the need for foodbanks and the like.
If you make goods 10% more expensive but increase the wage of the lowest paid by 50%, yes. You do solve that particular issue.

If you make goods 10% more expensive but increase the wage of the lowest paid by 50%, yes. You do solve that particular issue.

and the shortfall would be paid by extra taxation or borrowing...

well....or the economy growing, but we all know that isn't happening

50% for the lowest paid? Can't see that happening when the jobs market is about to get even more competitive once furlough finishes. You'd also expect supervisor salaries to increase so they reflect the previous lowest paid and so on....not ****ing the economy would be an ideal solution.

once furlough ends and the full border checks kick in... unemployment and inflation are going to start to bite

and the mooted National Insurance rise.....will not only break a manifesto pledge but tax the young and working to fund the elderly (who bought their houses for tuppence)

once furlough ends and the full border checks kick in... unemployment and inflation are going to start to bite

and the mooted National Insurance rise.....will not only break a manifesto pledge but tax the young and working to fund the elderly (who bought their houses for tuppence)
I agree. Categorical pledges in an uncertain World are usually unwise, and in these exceptional circumstances it is justifiable to break both the triple lock and the tax freeze pledges (but not the aid budget pledge). However, NOT by increasing the National Insurance, which is grossly unfair. Taxes directed at profitable businesses, and/or income tax increases on medium and high earners is the fairest way to proceed.

As a expat, I'm not really entitled to comment, but I'm certain my UK-based siblings and in-laws, all of whom are now pensioners, would agree.

the lowering of foreign aid, like Brexit and Afghanistan just makes Great Britain smaller and smaller

this is Suez mark two and "sick man of Europe" part two

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756