Champions League Knock-Out Matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's been posted in the other thread, but as this seems the main post for debating this game I thought I'd post in here. Feck me Gattuso picked on the wrong bloke there, he probably thought Joe Jordan was just some old coach (even if he is aware of his time in Italy), but I can't think Jordan is a good bloke to mess with, even at his age.

This strikes me as bizarre. Surely you want the English teams to do well ?

Why should I like individual teams based on me being born, through no choice of my own, within the same set of imaginary lines as to where those teams play their home games? :102:

Some of the individual English teams who compete in Europe, I like, others I don't. In just the same way that some of the Italian, Spanish, German or Dutch teams I like, while others I don't. What does their nationality have to do with wanting to see certain teams do well or do poorly?

Why should I cheer on teams like Chelsea and ManCity when they are playing in Europe, when I hate them the other 350-odd days of the year? :102:

Why should I like individual teams based on me being born, through no choice of my own, within the same set of imaginary lines as to where those teams play their home games? :102:

What about the national team? And presumably that's your reason for supporting City isn't it?

Just curious really.

I'm on the fence... I like seeing the English teams do well... but then wouldn't go as far as cheering Chelsea on (or Man Utd usually).

I'll be rooting for Arsenal against Barcelona though (although I'm more interested in seeing a good game), and I want Spurs to do well.

Last edited:
What about the national team? And presumably you support Leicester because of being born there?

Just curious really.

I'm on the fence... I like seeing the English teams do well... but then wouldn't go as far as cheering Chelsea on (or Man Utd usually).

I'll be rooting for Arsenal against Barcelona though (although I'm more interested in seeing a good game), and I want Spurs to do well.

I support Leicester and England because my dad and friends supported them when I was 6 years old and it just stuck (mostly because of my dad, who brought me up to support them though), not because they are my local teams.

I would imagine 90% of us on here, support Leicester and England for the same reason, if we are honest it has little to do with them being our local teams (though their will be exceptions). Just circumstances from when we were younger with regards to the people around us, that is all.

Though I must say, I am becoming extremely apathetic towards the England national side, it just seems like a case of them making the same mistakes over and over again.

What exactly is the reasoning behind you wanting Arsenal to beat Barcelona because they are English? If you prefer Arsenal as an individual club then fair enough, but why do you want them to win just because they are English. Why does being English make you want them to win?

Last edited:
Bah!

And the lino should've allowed the last minute goal, just as it would have been the 532nd wonder goal of Zlatan's career. The rules should allowed to be bent to accept genius. ;)

Hope Barca teach the Arse a footballing lesson tomorrow.

Looks like a clear push to me

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mev581Nzli0&feature=player_profilepage[/YOUTUBE]

Looks like a clear push to me

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mev581Nzli0&feature=player_profilepage[/YOUTUBE]

I was taking the piss mate. It was in response to someone (I forget who) saying Zlatan was less skillful to Torres on another thread. :icon_lol:

I support Leicester and England because my dad and friends supported them when I was 6 years old and it just stuck (mostly because of my dad, who brought me up to support them though), not because they are my local teams.

I would imagine 90% of us on here, support Leicester and England for the same reason, if we are honest it has little to do with them being our local teams (though their will be exceptions). Just circumstances from when we were younger with regards to the people around us, that is all.

Though I must say, I am becoming extremely apathetic towards the England national side, it just seems like a case of them making the same mistakes over and over again.

What exactly is the reasoning behind you wanting Arsenal to beat Barcelona because they are English? If you prefer Arsenal as an individual club then fair enough, but why do you want them to win just because they are English. Why does being English make you want them to win?

I think my wanting Arsenal to win is more because I like them as a club more than them being English I guess.

As I say, I would be happy to see Chelsea lose their games, not too bothered about Man Utd either way but wouldn't ever cheer them on.

Liverpool and Spurs though I'd probably prefer to see do well in Europe. Guess it comes down to who the team is a bit.

I think it's good to see the English teams doing well though, as a way of showing the strength of our league I suppose.

I'm not really overly fussed either way though to be honest, and don't watch a lot of Champions League football (and never watch Europa/UEFA Cup games)

I'm disappointed Arsenal and Barca are playing each other so early in the tournament... I'd prefer it to be in the final, as a one off big occassion. Hopefully we'll get to see two good games though.

I think my wanting Arsenal to win is more because I like them as a club more than them being English I guess.

As I say, I would be happy to see Chelsea lose their games, not too bothered about Man Utd either way but wouldn't ever cheer them on.

Liverpool and Spurs though I'd probably prefer to see do well in Europe. Guess it comes down to who the team is a bit.

I think it's good to see the English teams doing well though, as a way of showing the strength of our league I suppose.

I'm not really overly fussed either way though to be honest, and don't watch a lot of Champions League football (and never watch Europa/UEFA Cup games)

I'm disappointed Arsenal and Barca are playing each other so early in the tournament... I'd prefer it to be in the final, as a one off big occassion. Hopefully we'll get to see two good games though.

Why would you want to show the strength of the Premier League?! Especially from the perspective of the fan of a team in the lower leagues, who no longer get a fair share of the television money? :102:

The Premier League is a corporate disgrace which is taking the competitiveness out of the sport. I want the Premier League model to be an utter failure and fall on its flat face, not a success myself. The fact that the Serie A has seen how successful the PL is and have taken up the PL model I find quite sad really.

Last edited:
Why would you want to show the strength of the Premier League?! Especially from the perspective of the fan of a team in the lower leagues, who no longer get a fair share of the television money? :102:

The Premier League is a corporate disgrace which is taking the competitiveness out of the sport. I want the Premier League model to be an utter failure and fall on its flat face, not a success myself. The fact that the Serie A has seen how successful the PL is and have taken up the PL model I find quite sad really.

The stronger the league, the more successful the teams, the better players will want to play over here.

That's it really.

As I say though, I'm not really too fussed either way about any of them. Just on occassions I would prefer to see the English teams go through, but more because I like the teams rather than just because they are English

Good goal by Spurs - it is similar to Owens debut goal in the 98 World Cup except he passed to Crouch who couldnt miss really

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdwS_AkWkuw&feature=player_profilepage[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
The stronger the league, the more successful the teams, the better players will want to play over here.

That's it really.

As I say though, I'm not really too fussed either way about any of them. Just on occassions I would prefer to see the English teams go through, but more because I like the teams rather than just because they are English

While I agree it'd be nice to see better players come to Leicester to see them live (you can watch them on tv regardless of who they play for nowadays with ESPN and internet streams), I would say that is more due to the success of the Champions League, than the Premier League, which I believe has had a detrimental effect on the English game, esp. to teams like Leicester.

:102: Ashamed of themselves for what? They passed Spurs off the park. All Spurs did was sit back and then hoof it up field towards Crouch. There was one team trying to play football the right way out there and it wasn't the team in white.

Flamini made one awful challenge, which I agree should have been a red card, but one challenge doesn't make them a dirty team.

Milan were shite.. Spurs played with discipline and style. The 0-1 actually flattered Milan, the spurs goal coming from a classic fast break and no more than Crouch deserved as he worked his socks off and led the line very well. In complete contrast Zlatan, who really should stop believing his own hype. It's a shame Milan have fallen so far, that their game plan was to instigate and cause incident. Gattuso's behavior really summed it up... Souness in the studio described him perfectly.. " Not a very good footballer, past his best who plays like a dog.. goes fetch the ball and scratches around". haha.. well done Spurs!

I would imagine 90% of us on here, support Leicester and England for the same reason, if we are honest it has little to do with them being our local teams

It is my main reason.

Had I been born in Derby I would be a sheep shagger.

One of the reasons (one, there are others!) that manure fans attract criticism is the (mistaken) belief that most of them come from other areas and should be supporting their local teams instead.

It is my main reason.

Had I been born in Derby I would be a sheep shagger.

One of the reasons (one, there are others!) that manure fans attract criticism is the (mistaken) belief that most of them come from other areas and should be supporting their local teams instead.

Why exactly should they be supporting their local team? :102:

And spion how old were you when you started supporting Leicester? Did you actually make a conscious decision that "I'm supporting Leicester because they are my local team?" when you chose to support them? Because I can guarantee most of us didn't and that most of is just fell in to supporting Leicester because our parents or friends did.

Last edited:
I support Leicester for being my local team. And I moved away from Leicester when I was 5, and my family didn't support Leicester before that (My dad and brother were more Spurs fans, but are now City fans too)

I support Leicester for being my local team. And I moved away from Leicester when I was 5, and my family didn't support Leicester before that (My dad and brother were more Spurs fans, but are now City fans too)

Fair enough, there will be exceptions, however supporting your local team still makes no logical sense and I'm sure for a lot of us Leicester woudn't even be our local team anyway. Many Leicester fans come from outside Leicester in Leicestershire (or even other bordering counties) or nearer teams other teams in the city.

If you have to support your local team. Someone who grew up in Groby should support Groby Juniors, someone who grew up in Huncote should support Huncote Dynamo, someone who grew up in New Parks should support Ayelstone & New Parks FC.

Last edited:
If you have to support your local team. Someone who grew up in Groby should support Groby Juniors, someone who grew up in Huncote should support Huncote Dynamo, someone who grew up in New Parks should support Ayelstone & New Parks FC.

Your local 'professional' team is an entirely different matter to your local amateur team!

however supporting your local team still makes no logical sense .

Course it does. Just like I followed motor racing, I'd go to my nearest race track ie. Donington or Mallory Park.

The same applies to football. You go to your nearest club to watch a game of football and then on repeat occasion, you support them.

Anyway, it's all cultural and how the average bloke operates with their relation to their origin.

Your local 'professional' team is an entirely different matter to your local amateur team!

So the local team thing only applies when they are of a certain standard because you don't enjoy the standard that your local amateur team play at? What's the difference between that and supporting ManUtd because you don't enjoy the standard of football Leicester play at?

Course it does. Just like I followed motor racing, I'd go to my nearest race track ie. Donington or Mallory Park.

The same applies to football. You go to your nearest club to watch a game of football and then on repeat occasion, you support them.

Anyway, it's all cultural and how the average bloke operates with their relation to their origin.

In that case, surely you are supporting the team because you can watch them live, not because you are supporting your local team?

What about someone living in Leicestershire who can't really afford to or doesn't have the access for one reason or another to go to any games, why should they have to support Leicester because they are their local professional team?

I understand fully why people do it and the cultural reasons. What I don't understand is why people think that people "should" support their local team and why there is some sort of moral obligation to do so. People should support whoever the **** they like and having a go at people for not supporting their local team just strikes me as bizarre.

Last edited:
In that case, surely you are supporting the team because you can watch them live, not because you are supporting your local team?

What about someone living in Leicestershire who can't really afford to or doesn't have the access for one reason or another to go to any games, why should they have to support Leicester because they are their local professional team?

I am not saying why they should, I am arguing why they do support a local club. I suspect even if you couldn't attend live, you still have all the local press and public discussing them. So if you're into football, you are surrounded by it.

I generally find that people who support the likes of Yanited etc. have family members who don't like football.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670