Champions League Knock-Out Matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unbelievable goal from Stankovic

It was good technique, but meh, I'm always wary of lacishing praise upon open goals like that, if there'd have been a Sunday league keeper on goal, he'd have saved it with ease, much less Manuel Neuer.

Last edited:
It was good technique, but meh, I'm always wary of lacishing praise upon open goals like that, if there'd have been a Sunday league keeper on goal, he'd have saved it with ease, much less Manuel Neuer.

Sorry, but thats bollocks ! To hit it from that distance, on the volley, and that cleanly is something very special.

Sorry, but thats bollocks ! To hit it from that distance, on the volley, and that cleanly is something very special.

It's great technique, but of they'd have been a goalkeeper there, he'd have saved it with ease and no one would have been talking about the technique of the shot at all.

It's great technique, but of they'd have been a goalkeeper there, he'd have saved it with ease and no one would have been talking about the technique of the shot at all.

But "of they'd been a goalkeeper there" then the player wouldn't have attempted the shot in the first place!

I'm struggling to think of any goals from that sort distance when the goalkeeper wasn't far off his line!

There's a difference between lobbing a goalkeeper and scoring in an empty net where the goalkeeper isn't, by putting the ball in a position where the goalkeeper almost certainly would have saved it. One is beating the goalkeeper through the shot, the other isn't.

I just can never really get excited about great "open goal" goals.

There's a difference between lobbing a goalkeeper and scoring in an empty net where the goalkeeper isn't, by putting the ball in a position where the goalkeeper almost certainly would have saved it. One is beating the goalkeeper through the shot, the other isn't.

I just can never really get excited about great "open goal" goals.

Out of interest, d'ya play competitively at all PR? 5-a-side? Weekend football?

5-a-side with a few friends, if you can call it "competitively". Used to play weekend football, but had to give it up a couple of years a go for work.

As I've said though, I'm not questioning the technique of it, just from an aesthetic point of view I've never really found great "open goal" goals particularly special.

Last edited:
Well surely you'd appreciate that 95% of us footballers couldn't even manage the technique of the strike, let alone keep it on target. I'd get a hernia even attmepting.

:102: I've said 3 times that it was great technique, just that I've never really enjoyed great "open goal" goals from an aesthetic perspective.

I've never been a huge fan of long range efforts as it is and much prefer great team goals or individual dribbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669