Darius Vassell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Vassell

I agree, Howard is no better than a middling Championship striker. We won't get out of the league, at least not in the right direction, with him leading the line.

Howard would be more effective as a super sub now, our first team striker partnership should be Fryatt and Waggy. Howard could change a game if we were struggling, meaning having a different attacking option for us. Saying that though we would lack height at the top, Waghorn and Fryatt are not target men. Another target man, in the Howard style is what we need. On Vassell, his experience could prove vital, hopefully he has kept his pace. But wasn't he injury prone?

i've just been for a beer in the marriott and saw Sven getting out of his car (in tracksuit!!" and asked about Roberts, he just laughed and said its not done yet but as he walked in he turned round and said "we have Vassell though"... so i'm taking it that its a done deal and that was directly from the man himself... Very nice chap..

i've just been for a beer in the marriott and saw Sven getting out of his car (in tracksuit!!" and asked about Roberts, he just laughed and said its not done yet but as he walked in he turned round and said "we have Vassell though"... so i'm taking it that its a done deal and that was directly from the man himself... Very nice chap..

Please dear god tell me that isn't a wind up.

Mate, I ain't really bothered whether you believe it or not.. I do believe I was the one who spoke to him and that's what he said... As I said, I asked about Roberts and he volunteered the info about Vassell.

Decent signing IMO has played and performed at the highest level 6 goals in 22 internationals ain't that bad of a record and Sven seems to get the best out of him, better than any of the other strikers we currently have at the club and adds some much needed pace to the ranks.

Decent signing IMO has played and performed at the highest level 6 goals in 22 internationals ain't that bad of a record and Sven seems to get the best out of him, better than any of the other strikers we currently have at the club and adds some much needed pace to the ranks.

I'm not sure you can quantify that Pinko. He's scored very few goals in recent years.

Re: Vassell

he's got good quality and was a world cup goalscorer, so no flys on him.
that said, we need some players who can hit the ground running with some confidence.
Roberts i'd have in the squad every day ahead of vassell, but if it's both with Vassell on the bench then happy days.
let's not forgot Howard has had 4 years to do well and he hasn't improved or had a purple patch in any of that time, despite considerable effort on his part and a good work ethic. time to put him out ot pasture i think...

I seem to remember that Howard was voted player of the year two years ago.

Criticism of Waghorn seems to me to be unfair. Nobody has used him properly this season. This was partly the fault of Sousa but more recently caused by Fryatt's stupidity in getting needlessly sent off.

If you play Howard and Waghorn in the same team you blunt their effectiveness. Both are strong bustling centreforwards. Howard is more experienced and better in the air. Waghorn is faster and has more energy. I would pick Waghorn.

Fryatt seems to be a confidence player. In the season of 4 managers he never recovered from Martin Allen humiliating him. This season Sousa seemed to disregard him. I hope that Sven like Pearson can give him support.

Darius Vassell - Haha not sure on this one, maybe if I strikers weren't so bad at the minute I could criticise this.

I really think if we do sign Vassell he'll be playing right wing rather than up front. He covers well defensively and gives attacking full backs the license to get forward and put crosses in without leaving us exposed, which with Naughton would be a very good thing - he clearly has the ability to be a massive attacking threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  513
2Liverpool512
3Aston Villa512
4Arsenal511
5Chelsea510
6Newcastle510
7Brighton59
8Nottm F59
9Fulham58