General Election June 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.
And that's the problem

Democracy is a load of shit

The main reason being most will vote for the party most likely to screw them over because some million/billionaires tell them to do it. But then you've got to wonder what is in it for the mega rich? Surely they have enough and we should accept their propaganda.

Full disclosure: I am Anti Guardian Labour with UKIP tendencies. I will try and be as unbiased as I can.

It is rare that an election should be dominated by an issue of policy the way this one is - 1911, 1931 and February 1974 None of these cut across party lines.

I believe the European Union has caused deeper divisions than any since Britain became a democracy. This is partly because the vote was close. I believe the Remain side did not realise how many millions detested the EU. I certainly had not realised that millions of Remainers had an emotional attachment to the EU rather than just economic.

One reason for the division is that for both sides the result was a surprise. I remember a sense of elation at the result and being greeted by a friend with the words “What a relief!” A Remain friend was quite indignant and some of the sharpness came from a belief among Brexiteers that Remainers would try and snatch their victory away. .

The nearest thing to the EU division was the Corn Laws which came to a head in 1846. This destroyed both the Whigs and Tories and led eventually to the emergence of the Conservative and Liberal Parties. History is no guide to the future but my guess is that the party system will survive Brexit.

Two additional points.
One: Nigel Farage never suggested Brexit would mean £350 million for the NHS. The suggestion came from other Leave Campaigners but not Nigel Farage.
Two: if a young person claims they are passionate Europeans and that Leave voters have ruined their future ask them about their A-level French or German.

Full disclosure: I am Anti Guardian Labour with UKIP tendencies. I will try and be as unbiased as I can.

It is rare that an election should be dominated by an issue of policy the way this one is - 1911, 1931 and February 1974 None of these cut across party lines.

I believe the European Union has caused deeper divisions than any since Britain became a democracy. This is partly because the vote was close. I believe the Remain side did not realise how many millions detested the EU. I certainly had not realised that millions of Remainers had an emotional attachment to the EU rather than just economic.

One reason for the division is that for both sides the result was a surprise. I remember a sense of elation at the result and being greeted by a friend with the words “What a relief!” A Remain friend was quite indignant and some of the sharpness came from a belief among Brexiteers that Remainers would try and snatch their victory away. .

The nearest thing to the EU division was the Corn Laws which came to a head in 1846. This destroyed both the Whigs and Tories and led eventually to the emergence of the Conservative and Liberal Parties. History is no guide to the future but my guess is that the party system will survive Brexit.

Two additional points.
One: Nigel Farage never suggested Brexit would mean £350 million for the NHS. The suggestion came from other Leave Campaigners but not Nigel Farage.
Two: if a young person claims they are passionate Europeans and that Leave voters have ruined their future ask them about their A-level French or German.

Eh?

Two additional points.
What about my A-Level French?

That made happy.

Happy that caps lock was off.

It was very bold of you though.

Two additional points.

I don't have either and I've lived over here happily for years.

Brexit was an "anti" vote. People are too stupid to understand the consequences of nearly everything and the two sides were putting out lies and hate to deter people voting for "the other side"

I'm not saying in or out was right simply that people voted without understanding.

I don't know why, but I always picture you posting from a nuclear fall out shelter in the middle of a desert.

A sun drenched sandy beach. so close.

A sun drenched sandy beach. so close.
Where in France do you live FIF? I spend quite a bit of time in the Pyrenees-Orientales, as well as the Alps, so get to practice my French quite a bit.

Where in France do you live FIF? I spend quite a bit of time in the Pyrenees-Orientales, as well as the Alps, so get to practice my French quite a bit.

Soulac sur Mer, Atlantic coast, SW france, north of Bordeaux.

Where do you go in the Alps? My daughter lives in Grenoble and my son works the winters in the Alps.

Soulac sur Mer, Atlantic coast, SW france, north of Bordeaux.

Where do you go in the Alps? My daughter lives in Grenoble and my son works the winters in the Alps.
I've been to Soulac before, so I know exactly where you are (just south of the Gironde).

I normally have about 3 weeks of boarding/skiing each year, so have been to a lot of resorts over the years. My current favourites are probably La Clusaz, Samoens and Serre Chevalier, which all have a more French feel to them.

Judith-Chalmers_2198026a.jpg

I've been to Soulac before, so I know exactly where you are (just south of the Gironde).

I normally have about 3 weeks of boarding/skiing each year, so have been to a lot of resorts over the years. My current favourites are probably La Clusaz, Samoens and Serre Chevalier, which all have a more French feel to them.

My son works the towns below Val Thorens - courchevel, la Tania ...

Soulac is great, I'm right next to the sea and get to walk the dogs along the beach every morning and evening. Looking to sell up our big property now though but will keep the smaller ones either to live in, or holiday at.

My son works the towns below Val Thorens - courchevel, la Tania ...

Soulac is great, I'm right next to the sea and get to walk the dogs along the beach every morning and evening. Looking to sell up our big property now though but will keep the smaller ones either to live in, or holiday at.
Ah ok, I've been there a few times before too.

Ah ok, I've been there a few times before too.

I've been to Melton Mowbray a few times too - well every year I get my "real" Pork pies and stilton cheese from there. Probably be over within a month, take in the car boot too as a cheap book refill.

edit: just noticed this is the general Election thread so to make sure I'm on-topic - the election seems really boring over there this year. I expected more excitement and innovation.

I've been to Melton Mowbray a few times too - well every year I get my "real" Pork pies and stilton cheese from there. Probably be over within a month, take in the car boot too as a cheap book refill.

edit: just noticed this is the general Election thread so to make sure I'm on-topic - the election seems really boring over there this year. I expected more excitement and innovation.
There will be no excitement here. It will be a Conservative victory in this constituency.

Please please please, I urge you to watch the UKIP party political broadcast that's just gone out on beeb one

Absolutely stonkng, bonking quality from start to finish

Regardless of your politcs, just try and watch it

Magnificent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675