Harbro's English Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.
sexy nat. what a legend
profilepic1566_1.gif

loved it in the council gritter, balls deep...

The argument may well be over now but i thought i'd just add my opinion. Kids aren't taught English in schools nowadays, they're just taught how to pass an English exam, which i'm sure most will appreciate is something quite different.

I cannot understand how Hboro would have ever got a B to be honest. My English teacher would have been disgusted with some of the things he writes, and i went to a shite school.

The argument may well be over now but i thought i'd just add my opinion. Kids aren't taught English in schools nowadays, they're just taught how to pass an English exam, which i'm sure most will appreciate is something quite different.

I cannot understand how Hboro would have ever got a B to be honest. My English teacher would have been disgusted with some of the things he writes, and i went to a shite school.

isn't English GCSE all coursework, that's read by the teacher before submittance?

pretty much all coursework yeah, so you are relying on your teachers marking you.

so you write something over the course of a week, with a dictionary, a spell checker and a thesaurus...

then your teacher marks it

and THEN you send it to the examining board to get it marked....

:102:

seems foolproof enough to me...

so you write something over the course of a week, with a dictionary, a spell checker and a thesaurus...

then your teacher marks it

and THEN you send it to the examining board to get it marked....

:102:

seems foolproof enough to me...

And possibly a little bit of help...

Don't forget handing it in to teacher for a "pre-submission check" a few days before the final date just to make sure you are on the right lines!

Last edited:
Don't forget handing it in to teacher for a "pre-submission check" a few days before the final date just to make sure you are on the right lines!

Pretty much how many undergraduate courses now operate

Yup, it's a joke how easy coursework is made for us. I'm year 13 so it's A-levels for me at the moment, my English language teacher basically said at the start of the year that if our coursework isn't up to the standards required for an A we can do it over and over again to improve it before the final piece gets submitted.

Last edited:
Yup, it's a joke how easy coursework is made for us. I'm year 13 so it's A-levels for me at the moment, my English language teacher basically said at the start of the year that if our coursework isn't up to the standards required for an A we can do it over and over again to improve it before the final piece gets submitted.

It is ridiculous, most teachers I know hate how it is, but it's the only way they can keep getting funding.

I think we're probably the last people to appreciate and understand proper English, it's dying and soon all of our dictionary's will be filled with lol's, rofl's, brb's, l8rz and the like.

I blame mobile phones. When I was a kid I knew all of my friends parents telephone numbers in my head. Now I think I only know my Dads off by heart, I don't even know my own! I have become lazy :mad:

And texting is the same. Abbreviations and mis-spelt words are in most of the text messages I receive. The one I hate the most is 'k' instead of 'ok'. How much harder is it to put OK?

Clearly, because they never taught you to use a capital I

And texting is the same. Abbreviations and mis-spelt words are in most of the text messages I receive. The one I hate the most is 'k' instead of 'ok'. How much harder is it to put OK?

WTF?! You expect people to press the buttons on the keypad 5 time to make ok, when they could do it in 2 clicks and get k?

WTF?! You expect people to press the buttons on the keypad 5 time to make ok, when they could do it in 2 clicks and get k?

Ah I didn't think of what a rigmarole (cheers lako :icon_wink) that'd be as I use predictive text.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Bournemouth00
2Arsenal00
3Aston Villa00
4Brentford00
5Brighton00
6Chelsea00
7Palace00