Jermaine Beckford

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is another disaster in the making.

We sign him having probably told him that we are on fire and heading for the Premier League - and then he finds out that we are actually quite ordinary and he doesn't get the service he expects. He loses confidence; the fans start getting at him and things get worse.

He's probably not as good as we wanted to believe - after all Everton are short of fire power but they were willing to get rid. But he's probably no where near as bad as he's playing at the minute. Confidence is almost all in this game.

Are you saying a player would sign for a club without doing any research or even looking at a league table?

Another idiot who thinks Konch should be able to the job of 2 players, get real.

I don't think he should be able to do the job of two players at all and I'm well aware that our usual formation this season has our full backs playing as wing backs with the consequence that (a) their workload is too high and (b) we have no genuine quality in wide areas at the top of the pitch.

I do not, however, think that this was the reason for Konch being done for either of the first two goals on Saturday. The second, in particular, saw him misjudge a very simple long ball, allowing his man to waltz in behind. Generally, I think he has had a decent season, but he was certainly not a stellar defender on Saturday, and that had nothing to do with his attacking role.

I appreciate your view of me as an idiot though - thanks for that.

I agree that's the way it normally happens, But I would remind you that the first sign of any contretemps between Beckford and the fans came at half-time at Barnsley - his debut - just 45 minutes into his City career. Too early for him to make his mind about the service he's going to get; too early for him to have lost confidence and certainly too early for even a single fan to start getting at him.

Your suggestion that it's another disaster in the making seems to me to be wholly correct. But the answer to the chicken-or-egg debate in this instance leaves me very worried for the future of the club. Hazz and DD have already mentioned the similarity to "the DJ Campbell situation. To lose one striker in this fashion may be regarded as a misfortune; the possibility that we might lose another looks like ****ing stupidity.

I suspect that he was never keen on leaving Merseyside to join us anyway - but Everton wanted to raise cash and presumably didn't think he would ever cut the mustard in the Premier League. From our side Sven was desperate to sign a goal scorer especially with Nugent being injured. As with other examples, Sven hasn't been particularly successful with his recruitment.

I'm very much amongst those who believe that our squad is not much better than being ordinary. We've over-hyped the level of spending and certainly over-hyped on the matter of quality whilst paying OTT sums for Beckford & Mills. That said, the next manager has to try to make the best of it and I guess making Beckford feel wanted and valued should be part of that.

I had a feeling he would struggle with his overall gameplay in this league. Yes he did score 8 goals for Everton but when fans get on his back he has a bad attitude that refelcts his game.As you know I made the other thread on him and some didn't really want to listen to me even though ive seen him play for 3 years for Leeds. He usually scored as many goals or more so than Rickie Lambert and is a faster player too but he doesn't have the overall qualities of that player who works hard for his chances. Beckford waits for chances to come to him which he is finding hard in this league. For me someone like him will only get you about 10 goals in the championship per season. The guy by now at nearly 28 should have learned this and clearly hasn't.
Ive no idea what you paid for him but it wasn't worth it on the basis of his lazyness.

Are you saying a player would sign for a club without doing any research or even looking at a league table?

I think that it would have been easier to persuade Beckford that we were in good shape for promotion at the end September than it is now.

The main thing - and we can only guess at this - is that its likely that he was given no encouragement whatsoever to stay at Goodison Park and therefore took a last minute switch to Leicester on 30/09.

Anyway, the best thing imo is for a new manager to try to get the best out of him. He has scored goals in the past albeit at a lower level - so he should know if playing with confidence where the net is.

He has scored goals in the past albeit at a lower level - so he should know if playing with confidence where the net is.

And at a higher level.

He clearly has some ability although I think that this is unfortunately his level. His attitude at the moment is poor, but he's clearly a confidence player and hopefully the new manager will be able to get the goals out of him. Otherwise it will be just like DJ again.

What is this confidence player crap? Has he given any interviews or statements where he has said he is proud to be at Leicester and sorry that he is not scoring freely, but will carry on trying hard to show his purchase was justified?

To be fair Beckford was trying to make a few runs against WH but they weren't really inviting the pass. I think our fans are worse than most at getting on a player's back, and Beckford certainly has the noisy minority howling at his every mistake. This only makes things worse - he gets nervous and makes more mistakes and gets more howls of derision. However, he doesn't help himself by not seriously challenging for ariel balls or chasing down defenders. It was very silly of him to try to stare out the fans when he was subbed. The difference was clear when Howard came on as he always puts himself about, a few defenders on the floor and challenges for every ball and wins most of them. We're much better off with an in-form Beckford, but I'm not sure how that is going to happen.

Not convinced Beckford has the mental game to turn this around. Schlupp is a far better option right now.

Starting to feel like I'd fallen under the Sven charm, he really did sign some overpriced shite - Mills & Beckford $9-10m.

Not convinced Beckford has the mental game to turn this around. Schlupp is a far better option right now.

Starting to feel like I'd fallen under the Sven charm, he really did sign some overpriced shite - Mills & Beckford $9-10m.

How does 4+2 = 9?

I can't believe we haven't killed him yet

What on earth is the club playing at ?

It's in dollars. Not sure which ones though. Possibly New Zealand.

I thought Beckford cost in the region of £3.5-4m and Mills £5m rising to possible £5.5.. so maybe Sven only parted with £8 for the couple.. bargain.

Until JB stops throwing the toys this is going to be a sad sad player for LCFC.

I still haven't seen anything to think that Beckford has thrown his toys out. He's not looked great but Ffs neither has Vassell or Dyer but they don't get the shit he does.

I still haven't seen anything to think that Beckford has thrown his toys out. He's not looked great but Ffs neither has Vassell or Dyer but they don't get the shit he does.

Beckford and Vassell cannot be mentioned in the same sentence when talking about effort and application.

Good. At least that proves it isn't a colour thing then!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669