Post Match Leicester 0 Sheffield Wednesday 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave Jones is a decent Championship manager, tactically aware eg sensing they could beat us he takes off his left back and puts on a striker. We needed to win, did NP gamble? nah just did the norm, swap wingers, If we had a strong experienced central midfielder in our squad i would swap managers and hope someone like Atkins could get some results from a good enough squad, however i dont think our squad is good enough and i think as NP has done a reasonable job with the club he will talk his way into staying till the summer. Our position is not disasterous (our fate is still in our own hands), yet my belief that NP can halt this slide is fast dissappearing

Dave Jones is so good that Sheffield are romping away.

Nugent was very lucky not to be red carded for a high studs challenge when on a yellow card. Morgan fouled their forward when one on one and could easily have been red carded for it. And Schmeichel petulantly booted the ball into Lita that went into the goal perfectly legitimately. I was amazed that it wasn't allowed.

Not that it matters, but I totally disagree with all three of these views. Nugent was booked for his first offence, which was a petulant pull on the half way line (something that a Wednesday player could have seen his second yellow for later in the game, if consistenct had been applied) and then had his foot at the exact same height as the Wednesday player in a fair 50-50 challenge. Morgan did nothing wrong at all. And for the Schmeichal incident, Lita encroched about 6 yards to stop him taking a quick kick to an unmarked Chris Wood and Lita should absolutely have been booked.

Overall, we were appalling. Too many players didn't have the fight. Too many of them were miles off their top form. I recognise I'm fully in the minority now, but I still believe in Pearson, and even if I didn't, I wouldn't be doing anything until the end of the season.

Dave Jones is so good that Sheffield are romping away.

Dave Jones is managing a club with sod all money by second tier standards. He has also won promotion from this league once. That's once more than our current manager. Jones today showed an ability to change his side for the better during the match. He saw that we were there for the taking, made an attacking move, and saw his substitute grab the winning goal. Our manager made like for like changes to a team struggling to make an impact on the game and unsurprisingly got a like for like performance in return.

I know you're a Pearson supporter and that you get frustrated with what you see as fans going over the top with their criticism of the club. But it's justified at the minute. If you can't see that we're fecked then you ain't looking.

Where, and why, has it all gone so wrong?

A couple of months ago, I was in a pub with some friends. We were waxing lyrical about the consistently high standard of football City had been playing this season, even in defeat. How this team, even without additions could hold it's own in the top flight.

Move the clock forward barely 6 weeks, and it's like we've given up all hope.
Bar the addition of Kane, it's the same group of players that started the year so well.

Getting rid of Pearson now, I believe, is not the right answer. However, if he should take us up, and we found ourselves in the same frame of form, I very much doubt whether he could get us out of it.

We could be out of the play-offs next Saturday. We've well and truly ****ed this up.

Same thing was said about 3 games ago.
Still in the play off position to date, so it's not well and truly fecked at all.

Just in the process of being, if something doesn't happen very soon!

Today was so bad it beggared belief.

I've tried to remain positive through this bad patch but that performance was utterly horrendous in every single way. We shouldn't have lost but it was still comfortably one of the worst displays I've ever seen from us and that's saying a lot.

Why the flying f*ck would we play three strikers and stick one of them out on the left wing?! Kane was obviously dreadful with even the most basic of tasks but he is so obviously not a winger it was painful to watch. He's either not up for it or completely devoid of confidence - I know which one my money's on. Knockaert might be out of sorts but Christ alive.

I don't even know where to start with the first half. Two-yard passes were going astray, wingers were choosing 40-yard Hollywood balls which flew closer to the f*cking Holiday Inn and the crossing was an absolute abortion.

Marshall was a disgrace from set-pieces, it was outrageously piss poor. I can remember one corner which was remotely dangerous but that accounted for about 5% of the total dross he served up elsewhere. The ball he launched into touch from left-back in the second half summed it all up.

The midfield was completely non-existent again. Drinkwater, who you would like to think can assert some authority, was essentially bypassed by the dire tactics we employed. King too, but then I can't really remember the last time he impressed (from what I have seen).

Pearson's approach was piss poor and I think he has to take a lot of the flak for this one. Not impressed.

That said there's 10 games to go and so much will happen between now and then. Play-offs is obviously the name of the game now but results elsewhere were generally good for us today and I really don't think there's much discrepancy between finishing third and sixth. I still think we'll do it.

EDIT: Yes I can't do maths.

Last edited:
That said there's 12 games to go and so much will happen between now and then. Play-offs is obviously the name of the game now but results elsewhere were generally good for us today and I really don't think there's much discrepancy between finishing third and sixth. I still think we'll do it.

Today was so bad it beggared belief.

I've tried to remain positive through this bad patch but that performance was utterly horrendous in every single way. We shouldn't have lost but it was still comfortably one of the worst displays I've ever seen from us and that's saying a lot.

Why the flying f*ck would we play three strikers and stick one of them out on the left wing?! Kane was obviously dreadful with even the most basic of tasks but he is so obviously not a winger it was painful to watch. He's either not up for it or completely devoid of confidence - I know which one my money's on. Knockaert might be out of sorts but Christ alive.

I don't even know where to start with the first half. Two-yard passes were going astray, wingers were choosing 40-yard Hollywood balls which flew closer to the f*cking Holiday Inn and the crossing was an absolute abortion.

Marshall was a disgrace from set-pieces, it was outrageously piss poor. I can remember one corner which was remotely dangerous but that accounted for about 5% of the total dross he served up elsewhere. The ball he launched into touch from left-back in the second half summed it all up.

The midfield was completely non-existent again. Drinkwater, who you would like to think can assert some authority, was essentially bypassed by the dire tactics we employed. King too, but then I can't really remember the last time he impressed (from what I have seen).

Pearson's approach was piss poor and I think he has to take a lot of the flak for this one. Not impressed.

Unfortunately Waxed we are capitulating at a great rate. Our leader seems devoid of anything but plan A. To top this off he has chosen to ignore what almost EVERYONE has noticed regarding our cover in that in critical positions we have none.

Allied to this he continues to ignore that for years we have lacked a presence in midfield.

And still we toil. Badly. Major change required or (as predicted previously) we will slide down the pan like a bad turd.

FFS sort out the glaringly obvious.

A great deal was written in the pre-match thread about how silly it is to play Jeff at left back. It is worth pointing out that Jeff played very well there and Nigel got that decision quite right.

Obviously the critics are quite right. When a team is 5th in the table they have blown any chance of finishing in the top six.

Well **** me David, there's nothing like focusing on a decision that even a ****ibg idiot could see is basically alternative less (bar Lloyd Dyer FFS) while ignoring all the rest around you!

A great deal was written in the pre-match thread about how silly it is to play Jeff at left back. It is worth pointing out that Jeff played very well

I've heard a few people say this and I'm afraid I disagree. He managed to spoon the ball out of play a couple of times when under no pressure at all and generally looked uncomfortable in possession unless he was going forward. He wasn't awful or anything but he didn't stand out as being particularly good.

4 strikers on the field at one point that couldn't conjure up a single goal between them. A midfield that is woefully inept and now a defence that insists on playing the ball across our own goal and getting the keeper into trouble.

Once again we fail to deal with a team that packs the midfield. Teams know how to beat us and Pearson doesn't know how to prevent this. I predict that by this time next week we will be out of the op six and won't find a way back in. I think perhaps it's time to get a manager in now so he can start getting ready for next season.

Oh yes, and by the way,, Schlupp might have been ok as a stand in LB today but I still can't see where he's worth a reported £20k a week

If we'd played Sheff Wed in January at home we would have scored at least four goals and not conceded any.

What has changed? Has every other team suddenly found out our weaknesses? Have our wonderful players suddenly forgot how to work as a team? Is it the manager who couldn't do a thing wrong now seems to be deliberately (by the sounds of some peoples opinions) trying to scupper everything?

I'm splitting my thoughts between us finishing eighth and the idea that we're going to get back on form just at the right time and win the play-offs at a canter. As time goes on, I'm far more expecting us to be playing Doncaster and Huddersfield next season instead of Everton and Spurs.

Anyhow, there's always next season. Again.

Well **** me David, there's nothing like focusing on a decision that even a ****ibg idiot could see is basically alternative less (bar Lloyd Dyer FFS) while ignoring all the rest around you!

Thank you for the offer Camberwell but I will pass on it . You clearly have your own way of relaxing after a wretched match but I prefer whisky. What you call "All the rest" is what I am drinking to forget.

I will defend my comment on Schlupp. If you go back to the pre-match thread you will see that there is criticism of the idea of playing Jeff "out of position". You may feel they are "idiots" but they included posters I respect and I felt they deserved a response. Jeff was not "out of position" in that he has previously played left back for both Sven and Nigel. It may be that this is his best position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669