Post Match Leicester 2 Tottenham 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Bergwijn hadn’t scored for ages either. The ever obliging Leicester City provide both Spurs strikers with a nice easy kick start to their season. Nothing changes does it?

I was so utterly bored down there last night that i'm struggling to give a ****.

The matchday experience is so dreadful that the result just matches it.

The fans don't care, it was embarrassing how silent it was when winning the game until something happened to wake the useless comatose wankers up.

Unfortunately the fans got the ending they deserve.
^^^This along with Covid I just can't be bothered to go and watch, the cancelled fixtures have also made it even worse, I just want the season to end so we can start fresh next season

36 goals conceeded now in just 19 league games.

On course for a total of 72 against for the season.

It really is horrific and if it wasn't for some moments of brilliance going forward occasionally and a lot of luck in games, we really would be right down there with Watford/Newcastle/Norwich.

This fixture is one of those where my desire to not lose is greater than my desire to win. I know it's not the case but it always seems like they humiliate us at ours.

The humiliation trend continues. Spurs fans must enjoy visiting us, their theatre of dreams.

How we threw that away defies me. It didn't read (from match commentary') to me that we deserved a win but wtf has deserve go to do with it. The beeb website was updating every 2 minutes; it went from 2-1 to 2-3 in a blink as I'd been waiting for the 'full time' post.

We must have been doing some serious piss-take time wasting for there to have been 7 minutes extra time added, as I read of no stoppages for injury. If we were, and I've read others fans remarking we do this, then I hope it's a tactic we 'revise' - like zonal marking and a player on the keeper at corners. Seems like we can't even waste time effectively.

I'm going to attempt a defence of Vestergaard.

It's not his fault that we're playing a style that exposes everything he's no good at.

Why sign a slow player who isn't very physical and ask him to play a front foot aggressive role?

His passing is okay for a central defender. Not great but better than some others we've had. He's made some outstanding blocks in the area, throwing himself in front of shots. He's not good in the air in the way that Lukaku isn't. Because of his height, you assume he'll be better than he is.

BR overruled his recruitment team to sign Vestergaard and I understand why in some respects. We needed a PL ready defender and there weren't many about.

Vestergaard was excellent for Southampton last season but was poor the year before. Southampton fans said that his manager had to adjust the style of play to get the best out of him.

BR should have known all this. He keeps picking Vestergaard and then saying he can only play in a three. That's clearly not true. He was in a back four for most of last season.

Vestergaard has definitely been very poor this season. But he's been on a hiding to nothing. Asked to do something he's not good at and then hammered for it.

It's not his fault that we're playing a style that exposes everything he's no good at.

Why sign a slow player who isn't very physical and ask him to play a front foot aggressive role?

His passing is okay for a central defender. Not great but better than some others we've had. He's made some outstanding blocks in the area, throwing himself in front of shots. He's not good in the air in the way that Lukaku isn't. Because of his height, you assume he'll be better than he is.

BR overruled his recruitment team to sign Vestergaard and I understand why in some respects. We needed a PL ready defender and there weren't many about.

Vestergaard was excellent for Southampton last season but was poor the year before. Southampton fans said that his manager had to adjust the style of play to get the best out of him.

BR should have known all this. He keeps picking Vestergaard and then saying he can only play in a three. That's clearly not true. He was in a back four for most of last season.

Vestergaard has definitely been very poor this season. But he's been on a hiding to nothing. Asked to do something he's not good at and then hammered for it.
I’ll try to remember all this next time I see him galloping to the halfway line to tackle someone who’s already past him

On their estimated figures the family were worth over 5 billion in 2019. It’s now just over 2 billion.

Yes. I don't as a rule spend much time fretting over the ups and downs of multinational conglomerates, but I'm not aware of any of KPs activities outside the highly COVID-vulnerable duty free and travel industries.

Personally, even after the obvious deficiencies on show last night (even without the last ninety second meltdown), I think it's a case of make do and mend for which we have the capability. Whether all this leads to any transfer cash from now on being siphoned back to KP base, is more concerning.

I’ll try to remember all this next time I see him galloping to the halfway line to tackle someone who’s already past him
Well exactly.

I would suggest that Vestergaard knows full well that galloping to the halfway line is a bad idea. But that's what he's expected to do.

Not if the attacker is in the ****in box

Look back at goals we conceded in 16/17 when Huth and Morgan were inexplicably told to play that way too. How many times did they get caught in no man's land leaving the attacker a free run?

It didn't happen when we set up deep and narrow. Vestergaard is that type of defender.

On their estimated figures the family were worth over 5 billion in 2019. It’s now just over 2 billion.

The increasingly rare appearances of Top at matches does make me wonder about how much he's got on in Thailand.

Without Vichai, there was always the prospect of a run on the KP empire. Numerous reports said so in 2018. Yes the travel situation has been dire for their business model but I think they were in trouble anyway.

Look back at goals we conceded in 16/17 when Huth and Morgan were inexplicably told to play that way too. How many times did they get caught in no man's land leaving the attacker a free run?

It didn't happen when we set up deep and narrow. Vestergaard is that type of defender.
I don’t disagree with that, but I don’t believe he’s helped himself with individual decision-making.

I was thinking exactly that - we signed the wrong player for our game and he's looking like a donkey as a result. I'm not saying he's a class CB, he's not, but he's not as bad as our game makes him seem.

I was also thinking back a bit as to how we've been caught out in planning our defence, and hindsight is a wonderful thing, I know.

We'd bought 2 CBs (Soyuncu and Benkonvic) foreseeing the departure of Maquire and/or Evans (for different reasons) It looked to my eye that Benko was perhaps the more Evans-like and Soyuncu was more in the Maguire mould. Then Maguire went (excellent business btw and I'm not quibbling) and Soyuncu stepped up and, despite the concerns voiced at the time, started to look good. He appears to be in a wobble phase but I reckon he'll come good.

We all don't know what happened to Benko but we know the upshot. Now Soyuncu appears to be in a wobble phase (I reckon he'll come good btw) Fofona wasn't expected to fit in quite so soon either.

What we've not done is replace the experience of Huth and Morgan. Evans' injuries have left us horribly exposed (as a throwaway aside, and opposite to Veste, maybe we make Evans look a better player than he is!) We've looked at bringing in youth and transitioning them in. Maybe our time frame for bringing on CBs is naive. I think CB is a role that benefits from experience - we've a young side and the defence is now our Achilles' heel.

There's a lot of poorly presented wibble there, I know, but the gist of it is that we've been sailing close to the wind with our recruitment policy and been caught out. Certainly nobody could have foreseen the injuries, nor Benko not working out, but we've been on notice that Evans was wearing out. We relied on him staying fit and being available. Stop gap measures (Bennett, Vestergaard) have been pissing in the wind. In retrospect, we could have done with Maguire staying put for another year; c'est la vie eh?

So it is a real thing that happened and not the result of some drug-fueled (a heady cocktail of cholesterol medication, Vitamin D and anti-depressants) fever dream.

It's all interesting stuff, but the fact is that Vestergaard is an absolute ****ing donkey, of the highest order. Watch him on corners FFS, it's a shitshow

If Ryan Bennett were free I'd actually say he was a ****ing upgrade right now

That's how shit he is

It's all interesting stuff, but the fact is that Vestergaard is an absolute ****ing donkey, of the highest order. Watch him on corners FFS, it's a shitshow

If Ryan Bennett were free I'd actually say he was a ****ing upgrade right now

That's how shit he is
He’s absolutely ****ing crap. And we are stuck with him

So given that we need to score 3 goals per game to either win or draw where does BR go from here? Does he take risks and start playing players from the reserves or does he completely change our style of play to accommodate what we have?

One thing for certain is that we can not continue to have players remaining upfront and leaving our defence horribly exposed, perhaps last night showed the immense work Ndidi gets through, is BR instructing his wingers to stay up and around the halfway line?

If he is then he is clearly not learning from how other managers are exploiting him, if he is telling them to come back and make us more compact then the players are not listening to him, which means he should drop them.

Our desire and work ethic has been woeful since the start of the season and we have looked unfit ,is it because of Injuries and two condensed seasons I do not know? BR must surely now go back to the drawing board with a fresh canvass, because his current approach is insanity IMO.

Corners is a perfect example. We asked Vestergaard to do the zonal thing which is madness.

Last night, we had Thomas man-marking Kane at corners whilst Vestergaard watched the ball continually float over his head for Kane to bully Thomas.

Is that Vestergaard or Thomas's fault? I don't think so. It's incompetent tactics.

I blame last night's debacle on the stupid stadium announcement about an incident on Burnmoor Street. On the second unnecessary one, everybody, the fans and the players, just lost concentration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263