Pre Match Leicester v Tottenham

• Thread starter Thread starter Jeff
  • Start date Start date
  • Featured

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were relegated with a mid table premiere league team that massively underperformed. My grandma could have managed us to promotion last season, the gulf in class was massive and was bloody obvious from the outset (view interview with Mark Robbins on the opening game of last season). To back this up further Just listen to Marc Albrighton being interviewed on Talk Spurs he pretty much stated the standard is now a chasm.

Those who stated we would be beaten ten nil every game were looking at things judged on relegation from a league that was of a far higher standard. Maresca made a sound decision to take the LCFC job and he is profited well from it, SC has come into the job with opposite version of Maresca position, I am with BN on this at the moment, I can accept being relegated if our team can go at and have a go and keep us on the edge of our seats, rather than being relegated under a philosophy that was boring and would have been suicidal imo, just look at Burnley last season, the coaching and set up was pretty similar to Maresca, both learnt under Pep who took the philosophy from Cruyff.
What about not being relegated at all? I'd probably plump for that.

And if promotion was so much of a sure thing, why did so many posters predict us finishing outside the top 2?

Our squad wasn't 'a gulf of class above every other'. Our starting eleven were the best in the league without doubt, out squad however weren't as great as some folk liked to make out. We lost a couple fo out players mid season and we looked every inch a much poorer team because of it. Yes, we could have changed the system which I am sure will be the argument but the personnel we had to use were still sub-par.

Oh, while we're at it, is thinking we will be beaten ten nil every game because you watched some Burnley games (who absolutely were not set up like us) really a logical path to follow?

Other than that, a barstormer of a post.

Nah, it's a load of old bollocks, plus the airfare and travel time is a bit off putting.
Yeah probably wouldn’t bother, we’re already doomed because of pre season performances.

And if promotion was so much of a sure thing, why did so many posters predict us finishing outside the top 2?

Our squad wasn't 'a gulf of class above every other'. Our starting eleven were the best in the league without doubt, out squad however weren't as great as some folk liked to make out. We lost a couple fo out players mid season and we looked every inch a much poorer team because of it. Yes, we could have changed the system which I am sure will be the argument but the personnel we had to use were still sub-par.

Oh, while we're at it, is thinking we will be beaten ten nil every game because you watched some Burnley games (who absolutely were not set up like us) really a logical path to follow?

Completely agree

see my original post "Those who stated we would be beaten ten nil every game were looking at things judged on relegation from a league that was of a far higher standard. " I stated at the beginning of last season that we would finish top 2, that was based on the depth of our squad compared to the rest of the championship.

Our squad was miles better than other squads in the championship and by a significant margin, I would argue most pundits and those currently managing in the game stated this. It could be argued quite reasonably that the biggest achievement of last season was Ipswich.

I did not say we would be beaten ten nil every game, you quoted that phrase not me. I said "Those who stated we would be beaten ten nil every game were looking at things judged on relegation from a league that was of a far higher standard." The wording of Those would suggest that I did not state that would be the case? again I said at the beginning of last season that we would finish top 2 that was based on the depth of our squad compared to the rest of the championship.

With regards to Burnley, Maresca did adopt the same philosophy last season (and I would have no reason for him to change if he were at the helm now) it is straight out of Pep's philosophy, funny old thing I believed Maresca worked under him at Man City? What Burnley did last season was stupefying, when you come up against the very best sides in the Prem, passing it out from the back when your opposition employs a very accurate and damaging high press was critical in their downfall. As an example look at our performance against Liverpool in the Cup game, Maresca employed the exact same way of playing as Burnley did all season.

It was interesting to listen to Marc Albrighton explaining how Maresca wanted his CD to follow the play forwards and overload the opposition defence thus keeping them pressed into their own half, even though he knew it would leave us exposed at the back. In the Championship you can get away with it, in the Premiership you are punished severely for it, the gulf in class is there for everyone to see.

The fact that those sides at the bottom of the Championship faired better against us than those at the top demonstrated the risk that Maresca employed, the sides that employed a low defensive block and hit us with a counter attack down our left and right sides exposed our weaknesses terribly. The difference was the lack of quality of strikers in the Championship compared to that in the Prem, I feared Maresca would have carried on with the same tactics regardless now we are in the Premiership.

Why are you totally incapable of accepting someone's difference of opinion? Also I think you really should read and digest what someone has written before you respond with a subjective response rather than on that is objective.

One thing that is unknown, is whether or not we would have recruited better quality to slot into Maresca' style of play, Chelsea will show what he can do with a better caliber of player. As for SC lets just wait and see, 4 games in charge that were friendlies is no basis to make any judgement although, I take on board your concern that the players appeared to not know what was required of them. 15 games is about right to see if we can compete well in this league, he must be given that no matter how uncomfortable it becomes.

As I’ve already said, and you quoted, I do think we would have struggled under Enzo and I think we will under SC.

My view is I want to win games and stay up. I don’t care how we do it. If SC goes 10 men behind the ball and we grind out 1-0 wins then so be it.

However, as we’ve already seen, and I think we’ll continue to see even if we are losing, is the argument of ‘I don’t care if we lose as long as don’t play like Enzo…’ which frankly is moronic and will be used by those trying to justify silly comments from last season.
I do care how we do it.

I would much rather we had 38 exciting, tight games and got relegated than hanging on with 1 point after a year of turgid shit.

None of us have any financial commitment to the club. Really seriously considering that we aren’t going to win the league any time soon, why would you rather grind out dull year after dull year as long as we just manage to stay in a league that by all accounts is ruining football?

I am aware this is not a normal opinion. But I’ve now reached the stage where we’ve seen Leicester win a lot. Without any hope of it happening again, your money is paid to go see some entertainment. Or is that not correct?

Completely agree

see my original post "Those who stated we would be beaten ten nil every game were looking at things judged on relegation from a league that was of a far higher standard. " I stated at the beginning of last season that we would finish top 2, that was based on the depth of our squad compared to the rest of the championship.

Our squad was miles better than other squads in the championship and by a significant margin, I would argue most pundits and those currently managing in the game stated this. It could be argued quite reasonably that the biggest achievement of last season was Ipswich.

I did not say we would be beaten ten nil every game, you quoted that phrase not me. I said "Those who stated we would be beaten ten nil every game were looking at things judged on relegation from a league that was of a far higher standard." The wording of Those would suggest that I did not state that would be the case? again I said at the beginning of last season that we would finish top 2 that was based on the depth of our squad compared to the rest of the championship.

With regards to Burnley, Maresca did adopt the same philosophy last season (and I would have no reason for him to change if he were at the helm now) it is straight out of Pep's philosophy, funny old thing I believed Maresca worked under him at Man City? What Burnley did last season was stupefying, when you come up against the very best sides in the Prem, passing it out from the back when your opposition employs a very accurate and damaging high press was critical in their downfall. As an example look at our performance against Liverpool in the Cup game, Maresca employed the exact same way of playing as Burnley did all season.

It was interesting to listen to Marc Albrighton explaining how Maresca wanted his CD to follow the play forwards and overload the opposition defence thus keeping them pressed into their own half, even though he knew it would leave us exposed at the back. In the Championship you can get away with it, in the Premiership you are punished severely for it, the gulf in class is there for everyone to see.

The fact that those sides at the bottom of the Championship faired better against us than those at the top demonstrated the risk that Maresca employed, the sides that employed a low defensive block and hit us with a counter attack down our left and right sides exposed our weaknesses terribly. The difference was the lack of quality of strikers in the Championship compared to that in the Prem, I feared Maresca would have carried on with the same tactics regardless now we are in the Premiership.

Why are you totally incapable of accepting someone's difference of opinion? Also I think you really should read and digest what someone has written before you respond with a subjective response rather than on that is objective.

One thing that is unknown, is whether or not we would have recruited better quality to slot into Maresca' style of play, Chelsea will show what he can do with a better caliber of player. As for SC lets just wait and see, 4 games in charge that were friendlies is no basis to make any judgement although, I take on board your concern that the players appeared to not know what was required of them. 15 games is about right to see if we can compete well in this league, he must be given that no matter how uncomfortable it becomes.
What are you blithering on about?

I read and digested what you wrote and disagreed with it. I accept that it’s your opinion, I’m also perfectly allowed to disagree with it. You think our squad was light years better than others last year, I don’t. I told you why I think this. You think we were a carbon copy of Burnley, I think that is bollocks based on what I watched. I didn’t say you thought we’d finish outside the top six anywhere, I said lots of people expected us to and therefore they should consider that as a reflective way to judge how we actually did.

You also really do need to understand words like ‘subjective’ and ‘objective’ before using them.

You are entitled to think what the hell you want. If you don’t want me to disagree with you, tough titties. It doesn’t mean that I don’t accept that you have your opinions and I have mine.

Out of interest, and moving away from that, what is your realistic ambition for us this season? What do you think is realistically possible and what would you be accepting of?

I do care how we do it.

I would much rather we had 38 exciting, tight games and got relegated than hanging on with 1 point after a year of turgid shit.
And that’s fine, but it’s where we differ and probably why we also differ on the club and the way it handles itself. To an extent, I understand your view and I think it’s a sort of ‘romantic notion’ but I want to watch the very best football and the very best footballers that my cash can buy and that isn’t in the Championship watching us play Preston or some such club.

I want us to be in the PL where remarkable things can happen out of nowhere. We of every club on the planet, should be cognisant of this. I genuinely don’t know what people are expecting under Cooper and I don’t know what we will get but his past history doesn’t suggest exciting free flowing football. I also don’t think that model will do us any favours either so I am hopeful he can build something here. You can’t build a skyscraper from the penthouse down, you start at the foundations and go from there. I’d take slow and turgid with PL football and something to build on next year every single time over going balls deep, getting battered week in week out 6-3 and having to go back to basics again in The Championship.

I accept that it’s your opinion
Saying it was a barstormer (presume you mean barnstormer) of a post suggests otherwise, and I believe it was that which he had an issue with. Disagreeing is perfectly fine, but the way you do it comes across incredibly obnoxiously.

Anyway, time for me to give that ignore function another go. Ta-rah.

What are you blithering on about?

I read and digested what you wrote and disagreed with it. I accept that it’s your opinion, I’m also perfectly allowed to disagree with it. You think our squad was light years better than others last year, I don’t. I told you why I think this. You think we were a carbon copy of Burnley, I think that is bollocks based on what I watched. I didn’t say you thought we’d finish outside the top six anywhere, I said lots of people expected us to and therefore they should consider that as a reflective way to judge how we actually did.

You also really do need to understand words like ‘subjective’ and ‘objective’ before using them.

You are entitled to think what the hell you want. If you don’t want me to disagree with you, tough titties. It doesn’t mean that I don’t accept that you have your opinions and I have mine.

Out of interest, and moving away from that, what is your realistic ambition for us this season? What do you think is realistically possible and what would you be accepting of?
My benchmark would be mid table but I would accept survival, I still think we have the nucleus of a decent side however we lack pace at the back and without Vardy we are light upfront, these two factors make us extremely vulnerable.

I think we will do well to avoid relegation and that is based on two factors PSR and the inevitable points deduction plus the board dithering about when Maresca left. If SC can sort us out quickly ( and I genuinely take on board the comments you made about our pre season performances,) I think we are capable of finishing comfortably above the bottom three.

Our strength as I see it is the midfield so I would go for a 3-5-2 against those outside the top 6 and 4-5-1 against the others.

How long do you think the club will give SC?

My benchmark would be mid table but I would accept survival, I still think we have the nucleus of a decent side however we lack pace at the back and without Vardy we are light upfront, these two factors make us extremely vulnerable.

I think we will do well to avoid relegation and that is based on two factors PSR and the inevitable points deduction plus the board dithering about when Maresca left. If SC can sort us out quickly ( and I genuinely take on board the comments you made about our pre season performances,) I think we are capable of finishing comfortably above the bottom three.

Our strength as I see it is the midfield so I would go for a 3-5-2 against those outside the top 6 and 4-5-1 against the others.

How long do you think the club will give SC?
I think it'll be very difficult but with the wind in the right direction and some very astute signings we could stay up. You are right about Vardy and we absolutely have to make sure we have a goalscorer on our books. It doesn't look like he fancies Cannon and Daka is not a footballer so hopefully one of the newbies we are being linked to knows where the goal is.

I think he needs a reasonable fair few games to get everything settled and into place but I want to see some progression in those games. I need to see things getting better or him reacting to losses in a logical way.

I think it's imperative that we take points off the clubs that are going to be in and around us and we may need to be brave enough to make some difficult choices about the eleven we put out in the LC, FAC and games against the big boys if that is what it takes to stay up. I also think playing open, expansive football would be suicide so we need to find a way to be savvy.

Saying it was a barstormer (presume you mean barnstormer) of a post suggests otherwise, and I believe it was that which he had an issue with. Disagreeing is perfectly fine, but the way you do it comes across incredibly obnoxiously.

Why are you speaking for others now? Like I say, you're a strange little fellow.

Watching Palace a few times last season, i thought , on seeing Eze and Eloise [sp!!!!], how they got stuck into the opponent, it would be nice to see Fatawu and Stephy, do that for us this season.

I think we were ****ed either way. ****ed with Snide Pep in charge and ****ed with anyone else.

Against the half decent (very few) teams in the championship last season we weren't great other than against Southampton. Very little suggests we'd be better than Burnley or Sheff Utd were last season. We're being awkward over the points deduction so wouldn't be surprised if we're made an example of for that.

Another barstormer of a post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47