Play-off semi-final 1st Leg - City 0 Cardiff 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been a more than decent season - but NP was too cautious in his approach to the game. He should have seized the moment and gone for it and now - in my opinion - the moment has gone.

It's quite possible we could win on Wednesday but I doubt that very much.

Disappointing performance and result, too many of our attacking players had an off day and we created very little until the last ten minutes when we through caution to the wind in the hope of clawing back an equaliser.

In defence of the team and the Manager, our lack of play off experience was clearly evident, I honestly believe that on Wednesday night we will give a far better account of ourselves.

IMO we missed our more experienced players, Brown was a big miss and whilst Bruce played well as an individual, I felt we lacked leadership and we didn't look as organsied or well drilled.

Disappointing performance and result, too many of our attacking players had an off day and we created very little until the last ten minutes when we through caution to the wind in the hope of clawing back an equaliser.

In defence of the team and the Manager, our lack of play off experience was clearly evident, I honestly believe that on Wednesday night we will give a far better account of ourselves.

IMO we missed our more experienced players, Brown was a big miss and whilst Bruce played well as an individual, I felt we lacked leadership and we didn't look as organsied or well drilled.

What play off experience does the Cardiff team have?...:102:

Dave Jones has play off experience and it showed in his tactical approach to the game. I also think that we suffered from some of our more experienced players not being available such as Brown & Howard.

I was thinking the same thing. We have experience of Wembley which might help down the line, but our last play-off success was in 2003, and none of that team is still at the club.

Thought we got the tatics wrong although with suspension and injury im not sure what the alternatives would have been. I agree that Nguessan looked a threat and maybe could warrant a start on Wednesday, I thought Gallagher had his worst game in a city shirt. King was missing again.Wellens looked average but worked hard. I thought Hobbs had great game apart from being a tad deep. Bruce had a good a game and indeed kept us in the game.
I think the gung ho approach would be the best option Wednesday but doubt that we will see it. Come on City lets go out fighting :038::038::038::038:

Cardiff were on another planet to us in the first half and every time they swept forward it scared me, they have pace, height and guile up front

if we are going to play 4-3-3, let's not have 4-5-1 instead, at home!

second half, thought we were the better side. the two penalty claims, one was "seen them given" and the other was stonewall (this word only gets used for penalties and er... gay rights!)

Fryatt...by crikey he was out of sorts, by which i mean shite

decent free kick for the goal, not sure about the one man wall...or whether it was a free kick

overall: thought the better team won, but if we play the way we did second half and use Howard/Kermit starting, we have a decent chance

The main problem IMO was that Cardiff seemed to be closing Wellens down as soon as he got anywhere near their half and that mean't we werent creating anything, Gallagher and Dyer were also kept very quiet.

Cant understand the complaints about 4-5-1, for me it seemed the only formation available to us and has worked well for us in the past.

Looking ahead and the pressure is all on Cardiff now!!! 1-0 up and second leg at home they will be big favourites to go through. We have nothing to lose and will hopefully be able to be a bit more attacking with Howard back, Vaughan hopefully fit and Fryatt with another 30 minutes under his belt.

It aint over untill (Insert female member of TB) starts singing

1st half - crap tactics - crap formation. What was the point in playing Waghorn up front alone whilst hoofing it to his head. Kermo should have started IMO, he had a great game last week and we played so much better yesterday when he came on. Start him second leg with Vaughan (if fit) with Waghorn left and Gallagher right.

Also IMO Bothroyd was superb yesterday, best attacking player on the pitch by a mile.

After a good season we showed yesterday that we're short of the quality to finish the job. Perhaps with a few good summer signings we can make a push next year

Well, We are pretty crap yesterday untill the last 5mins, too much long balls, too much time on the ball, Fryatt not fit enough to the be on the pitch, should have kept Waghorn on and bought on N'guessen earlier,

well its only half way through, i am pretty worried, but the pressure is on them in front of the their own crowd, if we can get a early goal or two and just play our game then on the way to Wembly, i think Cardiff are going up this season :(

Looking ahead and the pressure is all on Cardiff now!!! 1-0 up and second leg at home they will be big favourites to go through.
All the pressure on us? We're both under pressure not to concede, but we aint under pressure to score.

All the pressure on us? We're both under pressure not to concede, but we aint under pressure to score.

Of course the pressure is on you, Cardiff have everything to lose on Wednesday and we have everything to win.

I don't agree with all this "all the pressure's on Cardiff" chat, but I do think that if we manage to score first on Wednesday, there's potential for your lot to fall apart under the weight of fading expectation.

Of course the pressure is on you, Cardiff have everything to lose on Wednesday and we have everything to win.

I agree, on paper Cardiff have done the hard work and whilst I have faith in my team, my expectation levels, given our record at the Cardiff City Stadium this season, are pretty low. Also there is the possibility of the Cardiff players and fans being complacent and thinking the job is done.

Gutted, absolutey gutted.

We just simply didn't show up and I don't know has this can be the case in a Play off semi final. Defensively we looked strong and never looked like conceding from open play whch was good. Going forard we were a waste of time, Waghorn on is own is ****ing pointless, play two strikers up top as there defence is shite and can easily be exposed. To only play one striker at home is criminal. Spearing, King and Wellens were all quiet as were Dyer and Gallagher.

Don't mean to be a negative **** but I'm starting to accept that there is going to be now Wembley for us this year.

P.S. Please say what was posted earlier about Hobbs is a joke. :(

Gutted, absolutey gutted.

We just simply didn't show up and I don't know has this can be the case in a Play off semi final. Defensively we looked strong and never looked like conceding from open play whch was good. Going forard we were a waste of time, Waghorn on is own is ****ing pointless, play two strikers up top as there defence is shite and can easily be exposed. To only play one striker at home is criminal. Spearing, King and Wellens were all quiet as were Dyer and Gallagher.

Don't mean to be a negative **** but I'm starting to accept that there is going to be now Wembley for us this year.

P.S. Please say what was posted earlier about Hobbs is a joke. :(

Cannot agree with you there Harbs, Chopra hit the post and missed a decent chance plus Bothroyd went close from long range and then hit the bar in the second, and there was McCormacks chance at the end all from open play. I actually felt we looked disjointed at the back and missed Brown's organisation and on another day we could have been on the end of a far heavier defeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566