Racist Chanting

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad, for example, he's not as cosmopolitan or as educated as me and it can be embarrasing you know. He doesn't understand all the new trendy words - like he'll say 'poofs' instead of 'gays', 'birds' instead of 'women', 'darkies' instead of 'coloureds'.

Well that must mean it doesn't happen then.

Oh grow up. My point was that anyone who has the faintest idea about the problem of racism in this country would know that people of ethnic minorities are all painfully aware that 'playing the race card' only makes this worse. It enables the sort of views that Rich is demonstrating on this thread.

I don't know any black or Asian people who ever choose to play the 'race card'. What you're saying is ignorant, patronising and offensive. I suggest you shut the **** up or do yourself a favour and educate yourself.

I, on the other hand, do know Asian and black people who have used the race card, a lot.

Also, I don't feel there is any need to tell anyone on here to "shut the **** up".

My dad, for example, he's not as cosmopolitan or as educated as me and it can be embarrasing you know. He doesn't understand all the new trendy words - like he'll say 'poofs' instead of 'gays', 'birds' instead of 'women', 'darkies' instead of 'coloureds'.

Sigh. 'Coloureds' is an offensive term.

I'm always shocked by how little known this appears to be.

And now, by arguing against this sort of thing, there'll be a strawman constructed about me being 'right on'. How long before 'it's political correctness gone mad!' raises it's boring head.

Oh grow up. My point was that anyone who has the faintest idea about the problem of racism in this country would know that people of ethnic minorities are all painfully aware that 'playing the race card' only makes this worse. It enables the sort of views that Rich is demonstrating on this thread.

If that was your point it was pretty piss-poorly made but it's great to know that you have your finger on the pulse of the opinions of the people of ethnic minorities.

Firstly, would like to point out it was the use of the word 'coloured' I found archaic and rather jarring.

What's clear is that Forest, as a club, have been weak in dealing with racism. It takes a board that isn't afraid to incur the wrath of supporters who are profitable to them in the pursuit of decency on the terraces. Racism is not banter, the majority of decent Forest fans would agree with that. I know of a few Forest fans who are downright embarrassed in general by their fellow supporters in the Main Stand, it's seen as far more problematic and far more of a poor reflection on the club than our very own L Block.

L Block has its idiots, but it's a rare day when you hear a genuinely racist chant emanate from there. The Yuki dog eating abomination may be heard on occasion, but people are beginning to realise that's nonsense and sacking it off. There's abuse coming from there, shit banter and other stuff but racism? Rare indeed. This is in stark contrast to how things were in the bad old days of the 1980s, showing how far we've come as a club.

Agreed. I was just referring to your use of "you lot" inferring that all Forest fans are racist and archaic in their thinking. Others have done it in this thread yours was just the post that prompted me to reply

If that was your point it was pretty piss-poorly made but it's great to know that you have your finger on the pulse of the opinions of the people of ethnic minorities.

I certainly have a better idea than some on here appear to.

Point taken re: a poorly made point.

Sigh. 'Coloureds' is an offensive term.

I'm always shocked by how little known this appears to be.

And now, by arguing against this sort of thing, there'll be a strawman constructed about me being 'right on'. How long before 'it's political correctness gone mad!' raises it's boring head.

It's political correctness gone mad.

Or it's a quote from The Office that highlights what you are talking about. And I quite enjoyed.

It's political correctness gone mad.

Or it's a quote from The Office that highlights what you are talking about. And I quite enjoyed.

Ha, fair enough, I was obviously too quick to jump on it. Sorry. This forum makes me a little jumpy about the topic of race.

Agreed. I was just referring to your use of "you lot" inferring that all Forest fans are racist and archaic in their thinking. Others have done it in this thread yours was just the post that prompted me to reply

It was more of a dig at their penchant for living off past glories, but can see how it could've been misinterpreted.

Who'd have thunk a little thread on racisms could've garnered so much anger and hatred.

Shambles.

Yes, or I wouldn't have posted the comment otherwise.

Well I can see why you are getting the responses you are then.

Yeah, I am being a little opinionated, but as above, some of the outdated views on here tire me. In fairness, most people on here are great, but there's definitely a higher percentage of Daily Mail-esque thinking on here than I'm used to in real life.

Like that time you thought I was on a wind up because I said patriotism was daft. You couldn't even entertain the idea that there was a serious and perfectly valid point there.

This forum makes me a little jumpy about the topic of race.

Why?

Why take any forum seriously?

No one will change their lives based on your opinion, or mine...or even Gwilliam's. Getting all bent over an internet comment is pointless.

Yeah, I am being a little opinionated, but as above, some of the outdated views on here tire me. In fairness, most people on here are great, but there's definitely a higher percentage of Daily Mail-esque thinking on here than I'm used to in real life.

Like that time you thought I was on a wind up because I said patriotism was daft. You couldn't even entertain the idea that there was a serious and perfectly valid point there.

Perhaps you need to realise that we're not all idiots.

Why?

Why take any forum seriously?

No one will change their lives based on your opinion, or mine...or even Gwilliam's. Getting all bent over an internet comment is pointless.

It's what it represents that winds me up, I suppose. It's a proxy for the sort of little England views that I find really depressing*.

*Not the forum as a whole, just the odd revealing comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669