Southend Post Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see how you could misunderstand what he said, but I'm sure your version of what he meant is not the right one.

He's talking about the way the team's form has changed over the last few weeks. We're now going to places like Southend expecting to win, and being disappointed when we don't, when a few weeks ago we may have been happy with a point.

Are you saying that there was a time when we should have been happy with todays performance and result??

Firstly you never make a 3rd substitution unless
a) the game is definately won, or
b) a player is injured

Lots of managers make three substitutions without someone being injured and the game won, it's not something unique to Kelly.
It could have been he felt we weren't hanging on to the ball and wanted some fresh legs up front if Hume had run out of steam, for example.

And someone getting injured in the last few minutes and being stretchered off is something that rarely happens, I don't think we can blame Kelly for that.

It's easy in hindsight to blame the substitution - no one criticised in in the match thread when it happened, it was thought to be a good thing by the one person who commented.
We've made late substitutions before and not conceded. Other times we've not made late substitutions and have conceded - and people have blamed that on RK for not making a change.

Are you saying that there was a time when we should have been happy with todays performance and result??

No, but a few weeks ago when we were towards the bottom of the table and losing games the manager may not have been disappointed with a draw at Southend (it would have been another point towards the survival target), but now we're aiming higher and he expects better than that.

No, but a few weeks ago when we were towards the bottom of the table and losing games the manager may not have been disappointed with a draw at Southend (it would have been another point towards the survival target), but now we're aiming higher and he expects better than that.

To my mind even if we were bottom of the table, today's result would have been disappointing.

Could somebody tell me why Hendo didnt pick up the long ball over our defence just before there 1st goal,it wasnt a backpass and he looked in his box unless i was seeing things

We were fecking awful but should have been 3-0 up by half time. Our midfield was terrible.

Good day out, I was on Southend Beach by 1 with TNBD and his 3 kids and wife.

Fair result really, they lacked any cutting edge.

Dont blame it on our RK. We played gash, his subs were decent Hammond came on created some probelms. Maybury's injury came from IMO, a late dirty tackle which the referee didnt dare give after their appealing from our second goal.

Oh Yeah and Hughes was our best player.

Last edited:
I thought it was a bit harsh from the Southend fans the abuse they were giving Maybury as he was stretchered off around the pitch.
I also thought we should've had the free kick but the ref nor the linesman saw it:icon_roll.

I was talknig to a Southend mate straight after the game and he said that Hume shold've scored with that chance that was about 2inches wide of the post.

I'm disappointed not to see us take the three points tbh, the only thing that made me smile was that the point pulls Southend further away from Leeds.

I thought it was a bit harsh from the Southend fans the abuse they were giving Maybury as he was stretchered off around the pitch.
I also thought we should've had the free kick but the ref nor the linesman saw it:icon_roll.

I was talknig to a Southend mate straight after the game and he said that Hume shold've scored with that chance that was about 2inches wide of the post.

I'm disappointed not to see us take the three points tbh, the only thing that made me smile was that the point pulls Southend further away from Leeds.

Absolutely. I mentioned it to my brother, singing 'cheat!' at a bloke whose just broke his ankle from a dirty, late challenge is not on.

Hume and Horsfield in the first half should of scored.

Cheat Of The Day: Southend get it back to 1-1, 'You've never won feck all', soon gotta em sitting down.

Forgot to mention,

The one and only Chesney Hawkes doing the pre match entertainment and Henderson almost hitting him every time he practiced his kicking.:icon_lol:

I for one would like to see a change in leadership at the end of the season but the undercurrent of feelings and tone against RK on here is a little o-t-t imo. Lets be fair we are heading for a mid-table finish, and if you look back to the start of the season and with the resources available to RK, most people were predicting that sort of finishing position. RK overall as not done a bad job with the squad he inherited, and there are signs that the young team he has played are improving. Now though that MM is on the scene its not enough,it seems to have provoked visions of grandeur amongst the fans.
Suddenly we expect a number of million pound players to come to the club, a top manager to move here, and premier lge football. If it was only that easy. How many good managers are out there that will definately do a better job than RK:102: . They say about journeymen footballers, but isn't that the same with managers. There are plenty out there that just go from club to club and what do they acheive. The likes of John Gregory, Peter Reid, Ian Dowie, do we really want them here:102: . I'd be happy to see a manager with more passion than RK and a manager that dosent sound like hes reading from a script after every game. But unless the right man for Leicester city is out there, then why panic.
:038: :038: Great post Brauny.

The day started badly, got on the Fox Travel coach and within 5 minutes MHS had been sick all over himself due to too much drink last night.:icon_lol:

You poor sod, were you sat next to him?

You can't blame RK for us conceeding the second goal today and you can't blame him for bringing on his final sub with four minutes to go. He's not Mystic Meg. How was he to know that we would lose a player to injury with such little time left. Bringing on a fresh pair of legs to see out the final few minutes would in normal circumstances be a good thing. It isn't RK's fault that the team were not organised from the restart. It was up to Patrick Kisnorbo as Captain and all of the other players individually to make sure they were switched on.

Whether RK is the man to lead us to a promotion push is very much open to question. Personally I am not sure that he is, He has in the past made strange substitutions and his tactical ability, or lack thereof is at times in question. However, I think he deserves some praise as of late. He must be under severe pressure. He has to prove himself to the new owner who certainly won't be slow in getting rid of him if he doesn't cut it. We are now six unbeaten and we are are realistically, if not mathematically, clear of any relegation worry. Whether we were fortunate at Burnley or played bad today, so what, we are unbeaten in six and RK along with the players deserves credit for that.

Well done Rob... Keep up the recent good work!!!

Forgot to mention,

The one and only Chesney Hawkes doing the pre match entertainment and Henderson almost hitting him every time he practiced his kicking.:icon_lol:

You forgot to mention those cheerleaders dancing at half time, Elvis, Cadamarteri, Logan, Kenton and Yeates were having a right good stare. So Cad 'accidentally' kicked the ball over to where they were dancing, and they made Elvis fetch it. :icon_lol: Quality stuff it were

The fact is we matched Southend. That disappoints me. We always seem to drag (or raise) our game to the level of the opposition, and when you've seen how we can compete with sides that are at the right end of the table (like WBA last week), I do wonder what is going wrong (rhetorically speaking, of course).

We got what we deserved yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670