Post Match Swansea 2 Leicester 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd read all about how good Drinkwater was on here and it was only towards the end of last season that I found the streams to watch the games. I know it won't be very popular to say but considering what I saw last year and from what I have seen so far this season I'm yet to be convinced that he is the player that all the talk says he is.

The overall performance today was woeful, with only Ulloa and possibly Morgan emerging with any credit.

I also thought Mahrez at least tried.

Admittedly in a completely crap team performance I thought Hammond did ok. He was certainly as good as Drinkwater. And Cambiasso was anonymous at Newcastle.

Matches like this make me glad I was at work. It was a difficult day but at least I didn't have to watch it live. What I saw on MotD was quite enough (too much?).

We're averaging a point a game and we've played some top teams. The Manure result gave us false hope and expectations. That said, we really were piss poor yesterday.

We're averaging a point a game and we've played some top teams. The Manure result gave us false hope and expectations. That said, we really were piss poor yesterday.

I don't think the manure game should be seen as false hope. We played a team with better ability but frustrated them and attempted some creativity. The last two games I've seen we've given up on chasing teams down and have forgotten how to do basics like kick a ball five yards to a team mate. I'm sure that tinkering with the team hasn't helped but the players look like they've lost a lot of confidence in their play.

I'd agree always looking for an opening. Always wanting to attack. He was unlucky with that shot too.

As for De Laet, I hope he got a bollocking for that 2nd goal. Pathetic.

De Laet has been crap all season other than half an hour against United and I'd drop him, but. Moore was at fault for their second, not him. De Laet stepped up and played offside along with Morgan and Konchesky. Moore played their man onside. If he'd stepped up there's no second goal.

All of our defenders are the reason we can't play the containing game which Pearson appears to be attempting. They're not good enough for us to do it. Moore and Morgan have been largely praised but I think they look crap at this level. Good for a few dramatic last ditch blocks but their positioning and intelligence has looked hopeless to me. De Laet has been a liability and we look in trouble every time we're attacked down our right hand side and Konchesky wanders up the pitch too often and isn't quick enough to get back into position, as well as being costing us possession every time he floats one of his shit crosses into the opposition box.

We need to play to our strengths by pressing opponents and attacking with pace. We'll get a few thrashings along the way but we'll also win enough to stay up. The current style of play is asking for relegation.

Last edited:
That's a few times I've seen RDL defended by saying he was playing for offside. As he regularly switches off and starts ball watching I'm surprised anyone could confidently say that he was playing the man offside.

That's a few times I've seen RDL defended by saying he was playing for offside. As he regularly switches off and starts ball watching I'm surprised anyone could confidently say that he was playing the man offside.

He wasn't playing offside. He completely lost where the man was then when he saw he had nipped in behind him threw his arms in the air in some poor attempt to claim offside.

He is good going forward but thir doesn't even slightly offset the fact that he can't defend.

Wasipants must be wondering what needs to happen for him to play. We have a young England u21 who isn't up to scratch at this level, but we haven't strengthened this area so have few choices.

RDL needs dropping as well.

Completely forgot about Wasilewski. I wouldn't be opposed to dropping Moore in exchange for a bit more experience at the back. IMO Moore's fault for the second goal, feck knows why he went for the line rather than cover the unmarked man in the middle.. obviously no faith in Kasper to make the stop or expecting a chip rather than a cutback or something..

Like I say, we just don't have great defenders, we might as well play our attacking game. Get Schlupp and Mahrez on the left and right with cambiasso and drinkwater in the middle, mahrez and Ulloa upfront and stick to it for a few games... IMO that's our best starting line-up.

There is little point picking apart the limitations of our defenders/defending. Surely, we always knew that this was the area that we were most vulnerable this season? So far, Morgan looks like a Premier League defender. Aside from the odd brain fart, Konchesky has mostly done well. Aside from that, we're struggling. At this level, Moore, De Laet and Schmeichel are inexperienced and showing it.

For me, it was time for Hamer, Simpson and even Wasyl at Newcastle. We're missing the pre-planned experience and know-how of Upson. The time for defensive changes is now long overdue and it's worrying that NP has ignored this.

Our main issue is in midfield where we have somehow lost our shape completely. Those calling for a return to a 4-4-2 formation are deluded and foolish. It won't work at this level without exceptional players and we don't have them. Even average Premier League teams would destroy us playing that way. We must play three central midfielders who all have clear and distinct roles. Cambiasso must always be one of them. So far, King has been the best and most consistent other midfielder. Why he's vanished from the team mystifies me. Drinkwater, James and Hammond are all much the same at the moment; flawed. So we pick the one that seems most appropriate.

We then must play three attack minded players. One with a physical presence (Ulloa) picks himself. Another for pace/trickery should be either Vardy or Mahrez. Schlupp and Knockaert aren't good enough. The third needs to link our play and be a good passer. This is the role that Nugent usually fills but he's hopelessly out of his depth so far.

My team against WBA: Hamer (if fit), Simpson, Wasyl, Morgan, Konchesky, Cambiasso, King, James, Powell, Mahrez, Ulloa

The omission of Powell seems bizarre to me. Why sign him in loan and not even play him from the bench? Not that he's some kind of saviour or anything, just the situation is an odd one. Is he unfit? Perhaps he's a wanker?

Our main issue is in midfield where we have somehow lost our shape completely. Those calling for a return to a 4-4-2 formation are deluded and foolish. It won't work at this level without exceptional players and we don't have them. Even average Premier League teams would destroy us playing that way. We must play three central midfielders who all have clear and distinct roles. Cambiasso must always be one of them. So far, King has been the best and most consistent other midfielder. Why he's vanished from the team mystifies me. Drinkwater, James and Hammond are all much the same at the moment; flawed. So we pick the one that seems most appropriate.

We then must play three attack minded players. One with a physical presence (Ulloa) picks himself. Another for pace/trickery should be either Vardy or Mahrez. Schlupp and Knockaert aren't good enough. The third needs to link our play and be a good passer. This is the role that Nugent usually fills but he's hopelessly out of his depth so far.

My team against WBA: Hamer (if fit), Simpson, Wasyl, Morgan, Konchesky, Cambiasso, King, James, Powell, Mahrez, Ulloa

I agree with that pretty much, except I'd stick with Schmeichel.

But I agree we need to pack the midfield more. I was really surprised yesterday that Nigel didn't take one of the attacking players off for an extra midfielder, because we were being overrun there. I know some would've seen that as negative but sometimes you need to make that kind of change to effect the game. Your front players aren't going to have an impact if the team can't get the ball.

We were very very poor yesterday. RDL needs to be dropped and I'm amazed he's lasted this long, but I'll be shocked if Simpson doesn't play next time.

I thought Mahrez did well yesterday (compared to most of the others at least) so was disappointed to see him come off - he was at least tracking back and had the chance of creating something going forward. It wasn't coming off, but he was giving it a good go at least.

Pearson's being criticised for switching the formation and players around too much, but of course he's going to because the teams he's putting out aren't working at the minute. If we go with that same starting lineup next time out I can't imagine many would be happy about that either

For what it's worth, I thought we actually came out a lot better at the start of the second half. That was probably our best spell of the match, possession wise at least, and I was starting to think we could get back into it until Swansea then hit us on the break with a very soft goal.

This season was always going to be tough but I think our bright start raised people's expectations and they're being brought back down to earth with a bump now. I still think we'll be okay, but we will have days like these. The important thing is that we need a good day soon.

Last night I was disappointed with Moore's efforts on their second. Having watched it again this morning I have sympathy for the lad. As the winger was running at RDL Moore had two players to watch but once De Laet couldn't be arsed any more he had 3 to try and deal with. In the last two games both Swansea and Newcastle have looked more threatening with two players around the box than we are with 5 or 6 which wasn't the beef when we created goals earlier on this season.

For our next three games go with:

01 Schmeichel
05 Morgan
03 Konchesky
Simpson
18 Moore
09 Vardy
07 Hammond
19 Cambiasso
04 Drinkwater
35 Nugent
23 Ulloa

Substitutes

08 James
10 King
12 Hamer
15 Schlupp
26 Mahrez
27 Wasilewski
39 Wood

Stop ****ing around with the team and formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669