Post Match Swansea 2 Leicester 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
We failed to do sufficient decent business in the summer. The defence was always going to be short in numbers and quality. I don't think that we have ANY options in central defence.

We have as many points as could be reasonably expected at this point...although its extraordinary in the way they have been gathered (and not gathered).

I always thought finishing 17 th would be about the best outcome avaailable outcome - and I think the club will need to do something worthwhile in the January window to secure that position.

Pearson keeps saying that he has a lot of options - I think he has next to no options and that is without a spate of injuries/ suspensions which will likely occur at some stage.

He wasn't playing offside. He completely lost where the man was then when he saw he had nipped in behind him threw his arms in the air in some poor attempt to claim offside.

It seemed to me that he threw his arms in the air in desperation when he saw that the rest of the defence was not playing the same 'off-side game'.

It seemed to me that he threw his arms in the air in desperation when he saw that the rest of the defence was not playing the same 'off-side game'.

Yes, this as well. You mean he was playing his own 'singular' version of the Arsenal off side trap?

People need to check their expectations a bit. We were very poor yesterday but we will have more losses than wins this season and more games where we're outplayed than not. That's just part of being a promoted team. The Man Utd game seems to have skewed how some people seem to think the season will pan out.

Of course they were a better class than us yesterday, they are an established premier league team.

People were criticising Mahrez for not meeting some definition of caring enough because of one pulled out tackle; yet he was the only one who consistently ran at players yesterday. For me, we have too many players playing below their best at the minute. Redditch says we should have bought more players, but the quality of players who would be happy to be bit part players for a newly promoted team is minimal.

I agree with BN one regards to the midfield.

Nige needs to find a settled side and system. As poor as we were against Newcastle I was really hoping he would stick with the same midfield for a few games and give them a chance to gel. Instead we reintroduce Hammond and shoehorn Vardy into a left wing role.

We need two upfront (pick from Ulloa, Vardy and Nugent), three in midfield, and one of Albrighton, Powell, Mahrez, Knockaert, Lawrence or Schlupp.

If we play two in midfield we have to play Schlupp to help Konchesky who is absolutely exposed any time we play a "proper" winger in front of him.

Above all else I want to see a settled side...and I'd bet the players do too.

Next week is a chance for Pearson to put a marker out for his prefered team. I hope he takes it.

People need to check their expectations a bit.

I think everyone is well aware of the overall goal and expectations rose upon the Man United route. The disappointing part of yesterday was our inability to compete. Some of which was caused by us not carrying out the basics of ball retention in the first half.

People need to check their expectations a bit.

I agree, however we were the only people who were responsible for that result last night. Swansea were totally shit in nearly every aspect of their play and yet we managed to lose the game ourselves by being on a whole new level of inept.

They did not even apply a high pressing tactic and we still couldn't pass to each other from 5ft away, this is nothing to do with playing vastly superior sides, it was down to our own ineptitude.

Danny Drinkwater was embarrassing yesterday, I was gobsmacked that he remained on the pitch. Matty James was the only midfielder who when receiving the ball looked to turn and actually face the direction of the Swansea goal, It was depressingly negative.

We also seem to have no idea what to do when we do face forwards, there was no tactic or plan of attack in attendance and it was very worrying.

We simply do not look like we are anywhere near scoring a goal away from home at the moment.

Last edited:
Matt is right to an extent about people checking their expectations in that this season was always going to be a relative struggle and bad runs are going to happen. But I don't think it's going too far to expect that we are good enough for a midtable finish.

The bottom half of this league isn't all that brilliant and I'm certain that our approach and performances last season would have had us finishing comfortably clear of last season's relegated Premier League sides.

I'd take 17th at the end of the season but our players really are capable of more than that. The gap between the top two leagues isn't that big.

Last edited:
Matt is right to an extent about people checking their expectations in that this season was always going to be a relative struggle and bad runs are going to happen. But I don't think it's going too far to expect that we are good enough for a midtable finish.

The bottom half of this league isn't all that brilliant and I'm certain that our approach and performances last season would have had us finishing comfortably clear of last season's relegated Premier League sides.

I'd take 17th at the end of the season but our players really are capable of more than that. The gap between the top two leagues isn't that big.

At the minute, a win would take us to roughly 10th so we aren't off mid table really. Yesterday was poor and hopefully we will bounce back soon but at the minute I wouldn't be surprised to hear booing again at the stadium, which would an unsurprising negative.

People are saying that the gap from championship to PL is not a big gap, theyre right until it comes to the detail and tactics, anyteam can beat a big team if they want it much much more but that has to be the attitude every game and its up to the manager to do that and set them up in a way where they can get motivated to win the game and not set out for a point, as im sure you will have figured out that you can do that in the championship as teams are not as clinical as the teams in the PL so after the results I hope that the staff and nigel have learnt just as much as the players have learnt from the opening games and that we will improve for not just west brom but our away games as well.

People are saying that the gap from championship to PL is not a big gap, theyre right until it comes to the detail and tactics, anyteam can beat a big team if they want it much much more but that has to be the attitude every game and its up to the manager to do that and set them up in a way where they can get motivated to win the game and not set out for a point, as im sure you will have figured out that you can do that in the championship as teams are not as clinical as the teams in the PL so after the results I hope that the staff and nigel have learnt just as much as the players have learnt from the opening games and that we will improve for not just west brom but our away games as well.

Welcome, gws. That's a nice pair of lungs you've got there

Last edited:

Hello GWS. Steer clear of homer.

People need to check their expectations a bit. We were very poor yesterday but we will have more losses than wins this season and more games where we're outplayed than not. That's just part of being a promoted team. The Man Utd game seems to have skewed how some people seem to think the season will pan out.

Of course they were a better class than us yesterday, they are an established premier league team.

People were criticising Mahrez for not meeting some definition of caring enough because of one pulled out tackle; yet he was the only one who consistently ran at players yesterday. For me, we have too many players playing below their best at the minute. Redditch says we should have bought more players, but the quality of players who would be happy to be bit part players for a newly promoted team is minimal.

I was particularly thinking about defenders - especially central defenders.

I find it difficult to understand how the club could have thought we had adequate cover or choices in those positions - positions where suspensions and injuries are common. These problems have not really kicked in yet - but they most likely will.

I recognised that Pearson was serious when he said that his intent was to ao with as far as possible with his championship squad....and overall its not doing so bad. But so far we have found no easy fixtures this season - including Burnley (h).

I think we needed to spend at least twice what was spent - and whilst it is difficult to sign the quality needed to make a difference that is what the guys at the club are paid to deliver. I'm surprised that they couldn't locate some potential in say eastern europe.

I'ts beginning to feel like we would have to score at least two goals an away game to get any points - which is difficult.

On the plus side, I thought King did well again. 100% pass rate, our only decent shot of the game and a good dispossessing tackle too. Would start him ahead of Drinkwater, James or Hammond atm.

Hasn't put a foot wrong really in any of his appearances this season and not sure why he was ever dropped.

I'd start with Cambiasso, King and Drinkwater for WBA if we're sticking with 3 which I think we should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566