TBers Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
And spent a day and a half scratching the surface of the amazing Yosemite National Park. This place is incredible!

normal_Yosemite-092109-18-ED.jpg

normal_Yosemite-092109-34-ED.jpg

normal_Yosemite-092109-56-ED.jpg

normal_Yosemite-092209-13-ED.jpg

With just a few hours before getting my plane home, we were just about to leave Yosemite when we saw a couple of people looking excitedly at something in the trees... bears! I've always wanted to see bears in the wild and have even found bear shit so fresh it was steaming here in Arizona, but this was my first encounter. I was looking directly into the light so the photos are a bit ropey, but it was quite a way to end the trip.

normal_Black-Bear-Yosemite-092109-19-ED.jpg

normal_Black-Bear-Yosemite-092109-22-ED.jpg

normal_Black-Bear-Yosemite-092109-09-ED.jpg

These are Black Bears by the way, the smaller of the North American bears, but still, you wouldn't mess with one. I was probably a bit too close in my usual Steve Irwin "the twat's gonna get what's coming one day" style :018:

Anyway, bloody great holiday. I can recommend it! :icon_bigg

Superb those DF, truely amazing.

Really makes me wish I had an SLR when I went to New Zealand.

Thanks DF. Cracking stuff, as ever.

Superb as ever Dessie

They rather show up my bear and whale photos in post 842/843 :icon_redf
I'd love to go to Alaska. Next couple of years, I hope (although I've become such a warm weather wussie that the cold might just kill me immediately. I've experienced about four mild frosts in the past few years, and that's it!)

I've just enjoyed browsing through the last few pages of stuff on here, and there are some fabulous photos, especially from young Mr. Beighton (another reminder for me to get a decent macro lens...)

:038: :038: :038:

lundy083.JPG

Returning from Lundy in a Force 7 gale

SDC11644_modified_small.jpg

The moon, behold. I do have a bigger version but I cropped this one for my blog and it has been processed a bit more.

Fake! It's Photoshopped. I can tell by the pixels etc etc

I had the pleasure of covering a classic Arizona birding hotspot in a survey the other day, a place called Whitewater Draw, which has one of the biggest wintering flocks of Sandhill Cranes in the world and all sorts of other cool stuff. I was mainly finding, counting and logging birds, but I grabbed a few pics while I was at it.

normal_Sandhill-Crane-Whitewater-Draw-211209-03-ED.jpg
Lots of cranes.

normal_Snow-Goose-Ross_s-Goose-Whitewater-Draw-211209-01-ED.jpg
Snow Geese.

normal_Loggerhead-Shrike-Whitewater-Draw-211209-01-ED.jpg

A Loggerhead Shrike. I later saw it with a sparrow it had caught and ripped open. It's only slightly larger than a sparrow itself and struggled to carry it when it flew from one tree to another.

Last edited:
We saw a few more gory moments during the day - a Sharp-shinned Hawk with a freshly killed bird, an American Kestrel with a rodent and this, the most surprising and impressive. Great Horned Owls are big, but I didn't realise that they can take other owls as prey. Apparently they do it quite regularly. I found this one (sorry about the crap photo, best I could do) roosting on last night's supper... a Barn Owl!

normal_Great-Horned-Owl-Whitewater-Draw-211209-03-ED.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool718
2Manchester C  717
3Arsenal717
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa613
6Newcastle712
7Fulham711
8Tottenham 610