The F A Cup 2011-12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Nan has ESPN? What a legend! Even I don't have it.

Thoughts with his family... truly gut wrenching tearful stuff for anyone close to the game.

She signs up for a month every time we are on! She tends to just listen to half the conversations though, hence her confusion today, bless the senility.

Sky were a bit previous and possibly taken in some wrong info as it has just come through that he has gone into Intensive Care and is critically ill.

Lets just hope he will get a bit better overnight and we hear more hopefull news tomorrow.

On the day I chose to moan about the perils of getting older a 23 year old has possibly been deprived the privilege. In short, I'm an idiot.

I sincerely hope this young man pulls through and have great sympathy for all that had to bear witness to such an awful occurunce.

This is a truly devastating story. One can only hope it has a positive conclusion.

Last edited:
Clarke has just been interviewed on 5live and heaped praise on David Rennie. Amazing tale, such a lucky man.

Martin Allen is now being interviewed and is choking as he recalls the events at Forest.

As an aside, what do Sky & News International have to do for people to stop buying their product?

They have just lied to everyone about Muamba's condition in order to lead a story. He was never in a stable condition and it was very wrong to claim so.

As an aside, what do Sky & News International have to do for people to stop buying their product?

They have just lied to everyone about Muamba's condition in order to lead a story. He was never in a stable condition and it was very wrong to claim so.

News International/Sky are so big they think they can do pretty much as they like... it seems to be working so far (unfortunately).

They didn't lie about anything as far as I can tell. I imagine they got the 'stable' comment from a source close to the player or the hospital and it has proven to be the case. 'Stable' does not mean 'well' or 'better'. It means that the patient's condition is neither improving nor deteriorating. He is still extremely ill which should have been obvious to anyone with half a brain given how he left the pitch yesterday evening.

I'm no fan of Sky, but it's hardly their fault that people failed to understand a simple term. I suspect that people jumped the gun a bit and got their hopes up because 'stable' sounds a damned sight better than 'dead', which is probably what most people were expecting to hear. I certainly was.

I'm no fan of Sky, but it's hardly their fault that people failed to understand a simple term.

Each NHS Trust has its own guidance but most NHS Trusts will specify the following phrases in the following order:
  • Deceased
  • Critical
  • Critical but stable
  • Stable
  • Satisfactory
  • Comfortable
  • Progressing well
  • Discharged

Stable used on its own has direct significance which is in contrary to critical and is no open to misinterpretation or misunderstanding unless you are unaware of the phrases and have loaded your own meaning onto it.

As I said, Sky reported this factual error and I maintain that I am correct in my assumption as to why they did.

Who says that the information came from the trust? As I understand it the source was somebody at the hospital. Could have been anyone. If it was official they would have said so. At no point upon hearing the word 'stable' did I think "oh he must be OK then". Because he couldn't be. Not after the condition the poor sod had been in just hours previously. It is also possible that his condition was stable at one point and that he deteriorated later. The hospital and Bolton Wanderers have (correctly, as it's none of our business) been quiet on the matter other than giving short statements.

Also, I would suggest that most people are not aware of the direct meaning of the terms you have listed. And either way stable still does not mean "better", which is how a number of people took it. Which would suggest that they had loaded it with their own meaning.

Last edited:
update Muamba's heart condition is "showing small signs of improvement" Mawsley will agree with the assessment

Also

ROTHERHAM United manager Andy Scott - whose playing career was ended prematurely due to a heart condition is in our local paper http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/rotherham/scott-urges-heart-tests-for-players-1-4360878 tonight calling for heart testing to be carried out throughout football. Then Rotherham go and sack him this afternoon. Having relived his own near miss on death at the weekend and then spoke about it very well on 606 he then gets the sack. Probably cos Burton sacked Pesch and both teams will likely be after similar managers for replacements.

Last edited:
Each NHS Trust has its own guidance but most NHS Trusts will specify the following phrases in the following order:
  • Deceased
  • Critical
  • Critical but stable
  • Stable
  • Satisfactory
  • Comfortable
  • Progressing well
  • Discharged

I feel a traffic light system, similar to that of the national terror threat level, would be a far simpler solution in situatuions like this - bloody NHS don't know their arse from their elbow!!

Haha, though to be fair, I bet he'd take that right now!!

Encouraging signs though as it was reported on 5Live that a friend had been to see him and he is talking but it is still very early days.

Haha, though to be fair, I bet he'd take that right now!!

Encouraging signs though as it was reported on 5Live that a friend had been to see him and he is talking but it is still very early days.

A friend of Fabrice Muamba tells the Associated Press that the footballer is speaking again. Curtis Codrington has been visiting Muamba in intensive care and says that the Bolton midfielder has spoken "minimal words in English and French, which is better than nothing".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669