The Foreign Football Thread 2010/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolfsburg are relegated as things stand, with Frankfurt leading Dortmund 1-0. Just two years after winning the title.

Just goes to show how much more competitive and exciting the Bundesliga is compared to the other top European leagues!

Indeed. Although Wolfburg beat Hoffenheim 3-1 in the end, and Frankfurt went down 3-1 at to Dortmund. That means Wolfsburg finish 15th. Frankfurt and St. Pauli down, with Gladbach facing (realistically) one of Bochum or Furth in the play off. Hertha Berlin and Augsburg have taken the automatic places unless Augsburg and Bochum manage to swap places by virtue of a twenty goal swing.

And at the end other end of the table: Last season's 5th place finishers won the title. 3 of the pre-season relegation favourites finished in the top 6, while 2 of last season's top 3 ended up in the bottom half.

Speaking of Bundesliga; FC Cologne has signed Stale Solbakken as new manager. He had already agreed to leave highly succesful FC Copenhagen for the national team of Norway. Changed his mind though.

Interesting Romanian Champions. Otelui Galati's first league title.

It's a very odd season there, Steaua in 7th, Cluj in 8th and Unirea Urziceni relegated. Unirea were always a Chelsea and the owner pulled the plug.

Plzen could win their first ever Czech league title. Two rounds to go, and they need two points to clinch the title. Sparta is trying to catch them, but they might just run out of games. It is not often that the Czech league title finds it way outside of Prague.

My local team, Sigma Olomouc, are in the Czech Cup final against Mlada Boleslav to be played next Wednesday. If they win, they'll go to the Europa League.

For all those lovers of Italian football here on TB - you know who you are, Juve lover!

According to an article by Des Kelly in todays DM:

"This is why Italian football is in a rut. Perhaps the seasons most startling statistic was unearthed by OPTA. It showed during AC Milan's game against Juventus, the ball was in play for a mere 44 minutes and 29 seconds. This means the public paid to watch an entire half where absolutely nothing of consequence happened, except complaining, play acting, time wasting and the careful adjustment of assorted Alice bands. Incredible."

Deportivo La Coruna go down, but it was inevitable, considering how they've been struggling for years now. Quite sad thou. La Liga Champions in 2000, CL semi-finalist in 2004. Relegated in 2011. *sadface*

For all those lovers of Italian football here on TB - you know who you are, Juve lover!

"This is why Italian football is in a rut. Perhaps the seasons most startling statistic was unearthed by OPTA. It showed during AC Milan's game against Juventus, the ball was in play for a mere 44 minutes and 29 seconds. This means the public paid to watch an entire half where absolutely nothing of consequence happened, except complaining, play acting, time wasting and the careful adjustment of assorted Alice bands. Incredible."
I'll bet you any money you like he didn't actually watch that game. And the 'Alice bands' comment is no less than I'd expect from a Daily Mail writer.

I'll bet you any money you like he didn't actually watch that game. And the 'Alice bands' comment is no less than I'd expect from a Daily Mail writer.

I accept what you write, but the OPTA stats presumably don't lie.

Anyone know what the average time the ball is in play for in an English league game is for comparison purposes?

I accept what you write, but the OPTA stats presumably don't lie.

Anyone know what the average time the ball is in play for in an English league game is for comparison purposes?

i can't remember the exact figures but Sven made a comment after the Burnley home game about the time the ball was in play compared to the Pompey home game i think it was around 10mins longer but it was definitely significantly longer

Last edited:

Just sounds like typical English media bollocks that football outside England doesn't matter. Italian football is far more tactical than English football and isn't largely based around kick and rush game.

Last edited:
It only goes to show that some people's definition of good football is a high paced running up and down the pitch game even though that means less quality and sharpness, whereas others take great pleasure out of other parts of the game, such as set pieces, formations etc.

That said I prefer the "English" style of football - if there is one anymore.

Just turned on the Bundesliga play-off on ESPN. Bochum currently 1-0 up vs Borussia Monchengladbach.

Gladbach equalise in this game and go ahead on aggregate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669