Post Match West Ham 4 Leicester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only in defence

I mean, yes, but surely you can see the difference even going forward between Amartey and Fofana. Justin was a huge part of our attacking setup and Evans often contributed positive balls forward for the strikers in the channels.

It’s also affecting Ndidi who has to drop deeper than he’d like, etc etc.

The two things aren’t independent.

I don’t know if you’re joking but I half watched MOTD on Saturday night and speculating on which player from an ‘Other Fourteen’ club would leave for a better one was the extent of their punditry as far as I could tell.
Man City, Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, City, West Ham, then the rest. Right?

Man City, Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool, City, West Ham, then the rest. Right?
Hmm I’d have it as City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, City, City but yeah something like that.

What I don't understand is that Soyuncu kicked the ball out of play so that Fornals could get attention after Perez's challenge, why did the game restart with a West Ham freekick?

What I don't understand is that Soyuncu kicked the ball out of play so that Fornals could get attention after Perez's challenge, why did the game restart with a West Ham freekick?
Because the West Ham player was fouled?

Observations from me...

We got bullied.
We weren't good enough on the ball to counter their style.
Barnes and Maddison didn't contribute which killed our attacking prowess.
Our defensive injuries might well decide our season before we get to the half way point.
The loss of Fofana is just huge.

It's all abit shit isn't it?

Hopefully perez being out means he'll switch to a system that actually works.

I really fear for Maddison, he fails to impact the game at all if we aren't on top.

It could have been Leeds, Man U, Tottenham, Everton, Newcastle…. All of them would have rolled us over in exactly the same manner last night. We turned up looking lightweight and unprepared.

I love Brenda but he needs to sort this shit out.

I really fear for Maddison, he fails to impact the game at all if we aren't on top.

He seems to have fallen so far from the player he was, even when we first signed him.

These days his decision making seems poor, his awareness has deserted him and after 2 years of terrible corners/free kicks, he is no longer trusted as our set piece taker.

Obviously he's had some injuries, but I don't think there were many on here that would have refused £50-60m for him in the close season.

I did wonder if BR being so clear about having no enquires for him in the summer was to make the point publicly to him that he's not that desirable as a player right now (or was it his agent whipping up that story...). It seems unthinkable that he might get in the England squad any time soon as things stand.

Obviously he's had some injuries, but I don't think there were many on here that would have refused £50-60m for him in the close season.
Arsenal could probably afford that but they didn't put in any kind of bid for him because they realise he's not all that.

I'm no fan of Maddison but he's not the reason we were battered last night.

We have senior key players that didn't show up. Soyuncu was terrible. Ndidi and Tielemans were both well below their usual standard. Vardy was anonymous.

We're carrying some passengers in the team due to injuries or players trying to recover form/fitness. That only works if your main characters deliver and ours just didn't.

There was a distinct lack of leadership in the side. I only really saw Tielemans talking but he soon got lost in his own awfulness.

We have a goalkeeper as captain which I don't like. In an empty stadium you could hear Schmeichel throughout the game. In a full stadium players won't hear him at all.

In theory, with them playing 4-2-4 we should have had them over ran in midfield if we'd managed to break the high block they employed. However what resulted was a succession of one-two tippy tappy between Soyuncu and Amartey for large swathes of the first half. I think we really missed Evans' influence here because it's hard to imagine the same thing would have happened with him in the starting lineup. He surely would have been bellowing out instructions to the midfield who really needed to work much harder out of possession looking to create space and make themselves available. Even when we spread it out wide to the full backs the ball just got recycled back again and again and it was an endless cycle of cluelessness. At least the Perez red card spared us from more of that mind numbing shit..

Soyuncu's lackadaisical gaff just summed up the general approach to the game, quite half arsed, not a lot of effort and no concentration. Literally nobody came out of that with any credit.

In theory, with them playing 4-2-4 we should have had them over ran in midfield if we'd managed to break the high block they employed. However what resulted was a succession of one-two tippy tappy between Soyuncu and Amartey for large swathes of the first half. I think we really missed Evans' influence here because it's hard to imagine the same thing would have happened with him in the starting lineup. He surely would have been bellowing out instructions to the midfield who really needed to work much harder out of possession looking to create space and make themselves available. Even when we spread it out wide to the full backs the ball just got recycled back again and again and it was an endless cycle of cluelessness. At least the Perez red card spared us from more of that mind numbing shit..

Soyuncu's lackadaisical gaff just summed up the general approach to the game, quite half arsed, not a lot of effort and no concentration. Literally nobody came out of that with any credit.
I think Thomas put in a good shift, considering what he was up against. Made some crucial interceptions and looked frustrated with his team mates.

The players gave up. Brenda pretty much did the same by leaving any changes until far too late. Passing along the back all game just doesn't work against these, players were clearly getting frustrated but we only have one way of playing. We'll get a similar result against any other side who won't let us....see Leeds at home last season, Newcastle at home to name a couple. Teams that press us when we're passing around for no reason tend to bum us.

If we again finish in the top 5/6 then Rogers has done a good job. But for these types of games we'll always wonder if we could get more by trying something less ****ing obviously hopeless.

At 2-1 I actually thought we had a chance but then it all just fell apart.

As good as Ricardo is going forward, he is often way to over comitted and then left out of position and us exposed as we were for their first goal.

Further reasoning how essential it is we strengthen that RW position as Ricardo is a fantastic attacking addition but we relying on him to effectively do all the work on that side is costing us.

Not the sole reason we lost last night as everyone was off their game, probably Wilf and Youri the most, and Vardy giving the ball away was terrible but Ricardo was no where for their opening goal.

It is obvious our midfield just did not want it last night why Tielemans or Ndidi just did not go and collect the ball off the defence is beyond me. West Ham were happy to pack the midfield out and prevent us from gaining any momentum.

BR must now surely look at playing two upfront Perez just gets in the way of Maddison thankfully he is out for 3 games. I feel sorry Maddison and Tielemans last night they had no way of playing Vardy into space as Moyes ensured he had none.

We were resorted to trying to thread a 40 m ball to Vardy who was surrounded by three defenders, when is Castagne likely to be fit? I would like to see him as a winger with Barnes on the other side, Castagne is effective going forward and works hard going backwards something Barnes needs to add to his game.

The Norwich game is key to see how we react to last nights performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669