What Are You Listening To Now?

Hi lads. I've just popped to the Cover Version Corner again and thought that some of you may enjoy something from REM.

In their early days they did several cover versions, some rather well. When they got a decent following, they set up a fan club and offered members some very exclusive records, cover versions generally. At the time, these were only available to fan club members and were very much sort after. Now, with that internet thing, everything is gettable - even this odd choice of Spizzenergi 'Where's Captain Kirk?'

REM doing 'Where's Captain Kirk'? You'll be telling me they did 'Merry Christmas Everybody' next.

I consider myself to have most things they’ve done, but I know I’m short of fan club songs….so thanks for this.

had the honour of meeting and having a photo with Peter Buck this year, playing bass for one of his pet project bands at little old Clwb Ifor Bach in Cardiff.

I’ve just started listening to the Replacements after hearing them on The Bear TV programme (which - not coincidentally - went heavy on the R.E.M. in their soundtrack)

I’ve just started listening to the Replacements after hearing them on The Bear TV programme (which - not coincidentally - went heavy on the R.E.M. in their soundtrack)
I've never managed to enjoy The Replacements.
I should - They tick a lot of my boxes, but I've not really liked what they've done. Strange, but a lot of people like them and they are respected.

It's worth checking out a few records across their career, I prefer Tim and Pleased To Meet Me over the commonly considered classic Let It Be and others prefer the early stuff - all quite different for a pre-electronic four piece though

I'm doing an old bloke thing.

Got some new shelving to rearrange the record collection into a more orderly formation. This inevitably lead to coming across stuff that had lurked in forgotten parts of the stacks for years. So of course they had to be played. Might post a few over the coming days but I'll start with this.

Saw them at the Hummingbird in Brum & looking at the crowd gave me the shocking realisation that I wasn't the young punk anymore. I was 3 to 4 years older than the majority. My mate Dave actually said " **** me, are they doing school dinners later? "

Anyway...

I was in Market Harborough yesterday, a second hand shop was selling vinyl records couldn’t believe the asking prices Pink Floyd dark side of the moon was. £45 for example while that was at the top end but most were around £20

I was in Market Harborough yesterday, a second hand shop was selling vinyl records couldn’t believe the asking prices Pink Floyd dark side of the moon was. £45 for example while that was at the top end but most were around £20
Yep. Thats pretty much the state of play now. I'm constantly kicking myself for not paying enough attention at the time.

At some point after 2000 vinyl records moved from being ancient tech that nobody wanted, to vintage collectable.

& that was that.

My record buying had tailed off massively in the 90s as I had other priorities. I curse myself for it now as the stuff I would have bought then would cost me the thick end of a fortune now.

It's ridiculous to someone my age who remembers records as everyday items, as easy to buy as a loaf of bread or a tin of beans.

The only small comfort is that me & my mates were spot on. We refused to have anything to do with CDs until it was literally impossible to get vinyl. We knew they were shite & said so often.
40 years later & vinyl is the only physical format that has sales growth year on year. You can barely give CDs away.

1-0 to the Luddites.

Yep. Thats pretty much the state of play now. I'm constantly kicking myself for not paying enough attention at the time.

At some point after 2000 vinyl records moved from being ancient tech that nobody wanted, to vintage collectable.

& that was that.

My record buying had tailed off massively in the 90s as I had other priorities. I curse myself for it now as the stuff I would have bought then would cost me the thick end of a fortune now.

It's ridiculous to someone my age who remembers records as everyday items, as easy to buy as a loaf of bread or a tin of beans.

The only small comfort is that me & my mates were spot on. We refused to have anything to do with CDs until it was literally impossible to get vinyl. We knew they were shite & said so often.
40 years later & vinyl is the only physical format that has sales growth year on year. You can barely give CDs away.

1-0 to the Luddites.
You skipped tape then? A sensible Idea, CDs seemed wonderful after the "hiss on the tape", but not the same as unscratched vinyl. I think that vinyls were relatively expensive in the 60s, as a kid. My first 12" album was bought with winnings on a horse race (Saratoga Skiddy - I even remember its name). I was underage to bet, but, luckily, my mate's dad had a betting shop.
With the relative cheapness of downloading and streaming these days, the young 'uns don't know how lucky they are. However, this is one factor in the demise of live music :sleepy: I remember seeing a band called Ned Ludd play in Leicester a few times, from Trees town, I think, like Ned himself. Although looking at the modern contraption of the internet, it seems there is a newer band with the same name.

When Dark Side of the moon was released, LPs cost around £2.50. Adjusted for inflation that would be around £26 today.

You skipped tape then? A sensible Idea, CDs seemed wonderful after the "hiss on the tape", but not the same as unscratched vinyl. I think that vinyls were relatively expensive in the 60s, as a kid. My first 12" album was bought with winnings on a horse race (Saratoga Skiddy - I even remember its name). I was underage to bet, but, luckily, my mate's dad had a betting shop.
With the relative cheapness of downloading and streaming these days, the young 'uns don't know how lucky they are. However, this is one factor in the demise of live music :sleepy: I remember seeing a band called Ned Ludd play in Leicester a few times, from Trees town, I think, like Ned himself. Although looking at the modern contraption of the internet, it seems there is a newer band with the same name.
I had the usual home made tapes done by mates as a stop gap until I could afford the album. Later on they were handy when the Walkman arrived. But I actually did go through a phase of buying tapes. It was the early 90s when vinyl releases started to disappear & albums were on CD & Cassette only. I guess the cassette survived longer due to ther being lots of cars still on the road with tape players as well as the walkman still bein popular. CD players still cost too much to buy new. The tape buying stopped when it became viable for me to finally buy a CD player second hand at an affordable price. I hated being forced into it.

When Dark Side of the moon was released, LPs cost around £2.50. Adjusted for inflation that would be around £26 today.
Sounds about right. But that was for a brand new album. Today's prices for second hand items over 30 years old are in that same range.
I think relative economy comes into it too. Most of the stuff I bought in the 80s was 2nd hand. An album from Cank St or Archers or Boogaloo or wherever went for £2.50 to £3.50 depending on condition & relative popularity. That would be in 1983/86 ish. I bought 2 albums a fortnight if I was on the dole & 2 a week if I was working.

There's the clue I reckon...being able to buy a treat like records while unemployed. ****ing impossible now.

Prices of everyday stuff were low compared to now. Food was cheap, fags were cheap, a pint in a pub was cheap, the football was cheap, cinema was cheap. As a scruffy punk I had no interest in designer labels, that stupid shit had only just kicked in anyway. I bought almost all my clothes second hand apart from socks & underwear. Best of times really but we didn't know it.
Also, paying the electricity bill (my flat was all electric) meant putting a fiver in the top drawer of the sideboard on payday & going down to EMEB on a Saturday morning every 3 months. I even got change apart from in the winter quarter. Bit different now !
Hardly anyone had a phone so no phone bill. There were no mobile contracts or broadband bills to pay, Both now necessities rather than luxuries.

£26 a week dole & I could buy 2 records, go out at the weekend, go to the football & still cover bills & food. I'd go back right now if I could, as long as my hair grew back.

I had the usual home made tapes done by mates as a stop gap until I could afford the album. Later on they were handy when the Walkman arrived. But I actually did go through a phase of buying tapes. It was the early 90s when vinyl releases started to disappear & albums were on CD & Cassette only. I guess the cassette survived longer due to ther being lots of cars still on the road with tape players as well as the walkman still bein popular. CD players still cost too much to buy new. The tape buying stopped when it became viable for me to finally buy a CD player second hand at an affordable price. I hated being forced into it.
Perhaps for the "What are you watching .." thread, but relative to this. I recently finished watching Mixed by Erry, supposedly based on a true story. There was a lot of money in pirate tape mixes in those days, Lamborghini and mafia levels

Sounds about right. But that was for a brand new album. Today's prices for second hand items over 30 years old are in that same range.
I think relative economy comes into it too. Most of the stuff I bought in the 80s was 2nd hand. An album from Cank St or Archers or Boogaloo or wherever went for £2.50 to £3.50 depending on condition & relative popularity. That would be in 1983/86 ish. I bought 2 albums a fortnight if I was on the dole & 2 a week if I was working.

There's the clue I reckon...being able to buy a treat like records while unemployed. ****ing impossible now.

Prices of everyday stuff were low compared to now. Food was cheap, fags were cheap, a pint in a pub was cheap, the football was cheap, cinema was cheap. As a scruffy punk I had no interest in designer labels, that stupid shit had only just kicked in anyway. I bought almost all my clothes second hand apart from socks & underwear. Best of times really but we didn't know it.
Also, paying the electricity bill (my flat was all electric) meant putting a fiver in the top drawer of the sideboard on payday & going down to EMEB on a Saturday morning every 3 months. I even got change apart from in the winter quarter. Bit different now !
Hardly anyone had a phone so no phone bill. There were no mobile contracts or broadband bills to pay, Both now necessities rather than luxuries.

£26 a week dole & I could buy 2 records, go out at the weekend, go to the football & still cover bills & food. I'd go back right now if I could, as long as my hair grew back.
Did you live in a cardboard box in the middle of the road?

Baxter Dury - I Thought I Was Better Than You

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363
9Middlesbro4463