Disabled Supporters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just got in so haven't read the rest of the thread, but I'm sure there are many ways a deaf person can enjoy going to a music festival, just like blind people can enjoy going to football matches.
Well I wasn't sure. But now I have the impression it's something like a karaoke/mud pack/Clairol footspa experience.

I've just got in so haven't read the rest of the thread, but I'm sure there are many ways a deaf person can enjoy going to a music festival, just like blind people can enjoy going to football matches.

I'm sure there are some people who abuse the system but it would be difficult to means test it, you either give disabled people special treatment or you don't.

I have taken a blind person diving, and I still cannot understand what he got out of it. Afterwards I lied like **** about what he could have seen and he lapped it up.

I have taken a blind person diving, and I still cannot understand what he got out of it. Afterwards I lied like **** about what he could have seen and he lapped it up.

Just think - you could have taken a blind Juve fan to Craven Cottage tonight. By the time you had worked your magic, he would still think that he's on his way to Hamburg.

Just think - you could have taken a blind Juve fan to Craven Cottage tonight. By the time you had worked your magic, he would still think that he's on his way to Hamburg.

I don't take disabled to matches, I get the hump if I found out I paid more for my ticket than they did.

At LCFC, disabled supporters pay, carers go free.

There is a special subsidised rate for disabled people, but you can only get that rate if you sit in a particular section of the ground from next season.

From next season, a disabled supporter and a carer can sit together anywhere in the ground for half price. This is outstanding value. If they want an even better deal (which personally I disagree with), they have to sit somewhere designated by the club. Big deal.

There are plenty of disabled supporters with more disposable income than people paying full price.

Well done to LCFC doing this. It is long overdue that this issue was tackled. They are bound to be criticised for it but this doesn't mean it's wrong. The club is a business, not a charity.

From next season, a disabled supporter and a carer can sit together anywhere in the ground for half price. This is outstanding value. If they want an even better deal (which personally I disagree with), they have to sit somewhere designated by the club. Big deal.

There are plenty of disabled supporters with more disposable income than people paying full price.

Well done to LCFC doing this. It is long overdue that this issue was tackled. They are bound to be criticised for it but this doesn't mean it's wrong. The club is a business, not a charity.

If this is so, I think it's very odd that it hasn't been mentioned by the people on one side of this discussion.

I'm sure there are some people who abuse the system but it would be difficult to means test it, you either give disabled people special treatment or you don't.

I'm sure that you're right in your first paragraph - but that doesn't necessarily exclude what I said being correct too.

Nobody has argued for means-testing.

There is no reason that the club should not seek to alter/amend the terms of what is a very generous offer.

Last edited:
The club is a business, not a charity.

Of course you are right that the club is a business. So are museums, churches and art galleries. But like museums, churches and art galleries being a business should not be its primary function. A football club should make money in order to provide better football.

There is always a feeling of distaste when the owners of a club see it as primarily a business. One sign of this is the feeling against the Glazers by ManU supporters. Another sign was the business decision to move a club from Wimbledon to Milton Keynes; a decision that caused revulsion throughout football. Compare that with the affection felt for Jack Walker putting his money into his beloved Blackburn without aqny hope of getting his money back.

Football is part of the community in a way that Tesco or Morrisons are not. That is why Leicester City rightly have an annual remebrance parade. It is also why they had a minutes silence for the victims of 9-11for the death of the Queen Mother and for local servicemen killed in action. To me the memorial garden where there is a memorial plaque to the son of one of my closest friends killed in Iraq is especially moving.

If you wanted to look for the heritage of 20th century Leicester you would find it not in the paintings let alone those dreadful university buildings that won prizes.(Never underestimate the wit of people who award architectural prizes.). The attachment that 20th Century Leicester people had was to the Tigers, the cricket club and above all to Leicester City.

The football club represents the city. I have discussed Leicester City with a Lazio supporter who had never heard of them -Leicester City are piccolo I commented - with a Swiss Chelsea supporter in Lucerne, with a Bayern supporter in Nurembourg let alone innumerable people from other English cities.

In the Year Of Four Managers like thousands of others I turned up week after week despite the "product" being dreadful. No mere business could command such loyalty.

The empathy with the disabled in this thread is amazing. :icon_cry:
I just hope that none of you ever find yourself or your family in this situation. Doubt you will get much help from anyone on here.

That's a bit harsh - there appears to be lots of people ready and willing to help herd them into their 'special' section, where they can safely stay stored away from all the normal people

They should be grateful that they are allowed into the ground at all - the workshy feckers

Last edited:
The empathy with the disabled in this thread is amazing. :icon_cry:
I just hope that none of you ever find yourself or your family in this situation. Doubt you will get much help from anyone on here.

I don't think anybody is failing to empathise with disabled people.

There are plenty of people who can't afford to go to football matches; disabled people are not the only ones.

That's a bit harsh - there appears to be lots of people ready and willing to help herd them into their 'special' section, where they can safely stay stored away from all the normal people

They should be grateful that they are allowed into the ground at all - the workshy feckers

Brown Nose has already pointed out that disabled people and their carers can continue to sit wherever they like on a half-price basis. That seems fair to me. Why do you choose to ignore it?

Others have said the same thing or nearly so. What is it that makes you judge me an ignorant **** and not them?

Just because you think that the carer should get in free, it doesn't mean that everybody should think the same.

Because you seemed to be suggesting the only reason she was there was to provide me free entry. This topic has strayed from just football and you seem to begrudge anyone having a free carer to anything unless they are in a near vegetative state.

I'm pretty sure you've never lived with someone who's deaf. If you had you wouldn't be so flippant in your response. It might not be as noticeable as pushing someone around in a wheel chair, but it's needed none the less.

I've been 100's of places where I've spent almost every second helping her understand what's going on. So much so we've paid again to go in so I could actually take everything in. Without the free carer we'd of had to pay 4 times or 3 if I've gone back in on my own.

I've also been places that I had no interest in going to. If she was hearing she could have gone on her own, but she's not so I've had to go to help her. Should we have to pay twice just because people don't make provisions for the deaf?

Back to football in general. I've already said it's debatable whether free carer tickets for the deaf at football are correct, your hearing isn't needed to enjoy the game. I've never taken advantage of it and probably never will.

If you wanted to look at it from a health and safety standpoint though (which unfortunately football clubs have to do to a ridiculous level) then yes she would need someone there with her.

99.9% of the time she'd probably be fine at football and need no help at all, except ordering food or drink or letting her know when someone wants to get by. Health and safety don't look a the 99.99% though... they focus on the 0.01%.

I know what you're saying, but what you're asking for is almost impossible. And would probably cost the club more to try and implement than it does to give away a few tickets on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669