Fryatt ....will he stay ?

Fryatt in the January transfer window.......staying or going?

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last season Fryatt never recovered from the way Martin Allen treated him; putting him to train with the kids and making it clear he was not wanted. That and injury seemed to mess up his head. Now he is scoring lots of excellent goals. The problem is that when he is faced with a really easy opportunity and has time to think he panics; when he is under pressure like with his goal yesterday he does well. He needs to stop thinking and start reacting.
We all remember how Campbell was brought at great expense to replace Fryatt and has been a failure. I would rather keep Fryatt than have money to spend on someone who may or may not do the business.

Great post. Much as I think.

I totally agree.

If he wants to go, he will go. Simple, so he holds all the strings. I hope if he chooses to stay then his form won't be affected; and also that the fans get right behind him, it doesn't matter how we dress it up - if I had said he would score 16 goals this season prior to December, most on this board would claim I was talking pure Joey.

If he wants to go, he will go. Simple, so he holds all the strings. I hope if he chooses to stay then his form won't be affected; and also that the fans get right behind him, it doesn't matter how we dress it up - if I had said he would score 16 goals this season prior to December, most on this board would claim I was talking pure Joey.

Joey's coming back you say?

Rubbish.

JHMO.

:)

2006/07 - 34 appearances/ 4 goals (Championship)
2007/08 - 35 appearances/ 3 goals (Championship)
2008/09 - 23 appearances/ 16 goals (Leage One)

Everyone can protect him and say he didnt have the confidence or wasnt match fit but the figures speak for themselves.

I agree that people do lose confidence but not for two seasons and even if he did fall out with certain managers, we certainly had enough of them for it not to make a difference. Also, whatever match fitness he was lacking should have been recaptured in this many games.

The main difference is that in the Championship you might only get one or two clear cut chances, were as in League One you will get several.

Don't get me wrong I would like him to stay and think he will be vital if we are to go up, but I think he will always be a very good League One player and an average player above this.

I've just had an email from an ex work colleague who is a family friend of the Fryatts.

He is unsure about a new deal but says, "Derby are trying to buy him in January!!"

It's not gospel but I know this person (ex colleague) and don't think he would intentionally lie.

2006/07 - 34 appearances/ 4 goals (Championship)
2007/08 - 35 appearances/ 3 goals (Championship)
2008/09 - 23 appearances/ 16 goals (Leage One)

Everyone can protect him and say he didnt have the confidence or wasnt match fit but the figures speak for themselves.

I agree that people do lose confidence but not for two seasons and even if he did fall out with certain managers, we certainly had enough of them for it not to make a difference. Also, whatever match fitness he was lacking should have been recaptured in this many games.

The main difference is that in the Championship you might only get one or two clear cut chances, were as in League One you will get several.

Don't get me wrong I would like him to stay and think he will be vital if we are to go up, but I think he will always be a very good League One player and an average player above this.

Are players not allowed to improve?

Are players not allowed to improve?

Its easy to improve when the standard has been lowered.

Also interesting that he hasnt improved in previous seasons?

Last edited:
He's still a young player and he did look good for a spell under Kelly. We need his goals this season and, while I'm on record saying the jury is out on his ability to do it at Championship level, imo he's done enough to warrant another proper crack at it and I hope that's with us.

Its easy to improve when the standard has been lowered.

Also interesting that he hasnt improved in previous seasons?

Yes, true I admit.

Not many players (if any! Kisnorbo maybe?) have improved over the last two years in what is the darkest period in the clubs history.

IMO we should do all we can to keep him until the summer at least. We just need to get out of this league. I would like to see him stay longer and prove he's a Championship level player.

Yes, true I admit.

Not many players (if any! Kisnorbo maybe?) have improved over the last two years in what is the darkest period in the clubs history.

IMO we should do all we can to keep him until the summer at least. We just need to get out of this league. I would like to see him stay longer and prove he's a Championship level player.

I completely agree and hope I am proved wrong :038:

Long term im not too bothered what he does. I think he would need to replaced were we to get into the championship and plan to be at the top end of the table. However, he will be hard to replace in january and i'd would be happy for him to score the goals that take us up, sign a pre-contract agreement and then we get 200k for him at a tribunal.

Derby are about to tie up a loan deal for Varney from Charlton. I don't think the'yl be in for Fryatt if i'm honest.

Long term im not too bothered what he does. I think he would need to replaced were we to get into the championship and plan to be at the top end of the table. However, he will be hard to replace in january and i'd would be happy for him to score the goals that take us up, sign a pre-contract agreement and then we get 200k for him at a tribunal.

I would think that if Fryatt is looking for an excuse to leave then the above kind of attitude would provide it.

There are plenty of instances where young players have improved and gone on to prove their doubters very wrong. Fryatt may well be such a case. Also; any young striker getting a shed load of goals at league level is going to be worth serious money - and if Fryatt was on any sort of extended contract then he would fetch a sizeable fee.

The reality is that it is Fryatt who is in the driving seat in this matter not LCFC.

As for us planning to be at "the top end of the table" (championship) - you must be jesting. Currently, we are looking to get out of the 3rd division and largely on the back of Fryatt's goals. There is no reason to believe that we have a playing strength that is remotely up to chasing promotion to the Premiership and my guess is that we would be more likely to struggle at second tier level as I doubt if Mandaric would want to spend millions. I agree that we would need lots of replacements to be in that sort of position - but I wouldn't start the process by planning to lose one of our best assets nor by deluding ourselves that we could manipulate a scenario where Fryatt and his agent act in the club's rather than his own interests.

Personally I would sell him. Yes he is our top scorer but he has made it obvious by his interviews and his body language after scoring that he does not want to be here. His strike rate over the previous 2 seasons has been woeful and we need to cash in rather then lose him for a minimal fee at the end of the season. I still belive that Howard can do a job but he nevers gets any decent service from our wingers they never seem to get the byelline and deliver. I would like to see Pearson get in 2 strikers maybe a prem / championship loan and a permanet signing. DJ is not the answer and not sure what is happening with Dickov.

Personally I would sell him. Yes he is our top scorer but he has made it obvious by his interviews and his body language after scoring that he does not want to be here. His strike rate over the previous 2 seasons has been woeful and we need to cash in rather then lose him for a minimal fee at the end of the season. I still belive that Howard can do a job but he nevers gets any decent service from our wingers they never seem to get the byelline and deliver. I would like to see Pearson get in 2 strikers maybe a prem / championship loan and a permanet signing. DJ is not the answer and not sure what is happening with Dickov.
'bout sums it up for me too. Still think we need to replace him though, the others aren't doing the biz, he is.

'bout sums it up for me too. Still think we need to replace him though, the others aren't doing the biz, he is.

I'm afraid that it's more a case of having to replace him - because I think he will be off in January - and it will still be at a minimal fee because there is next to nothing left on his contract.

The goal output from the rest of the strikers is derisory and I fear that it will not be possible to find an adequate replacement (s) from outside and the consequence will be a big question mark about our promotion chances. Howard has his strengths but DJ was a waste of money and I'm afraid it's may be a season too far for Dickov.

Unfortunately, I don't think that there is a lot that can be done to influence the situation

I am no fan of Fryatt but we are at last getting some value for money from him (i.e goals)... I think it would be madness to sell given how unconvincing the teams performances are. I would take a short term view and keep him for his goals - and let him go on a free if that ias what it comes to at the end of the season. If his goals give us promotion they are worth the fee we'd lose if did not sell him in January.
If we sell him and the goals dry up and we miss promotion - would it really have been worth the fee we'd get?

This may be 'academic' I know - HE may insist on leaving in January, but I'd hope the club would do its upmost to resist.

Last edited:
I would think that if Fryatt is looking for an excuse to leave then the above kind of attitude would provide it.

There are plenty of instances where young players have improved and gone on to prove their doubters very wrong. Fryatt may well be such a case. Also; any young striker getting a shed load of goals at league level is going to be worth serious money - and if Fryatt was on any sort of extended contract then he would fetch a sizeable fee.

The reality is that it is Fryatt who is in the driving seat in this matter not LCFC.

As for us planning to be at "the top end of the table" (championship) - you must be jesting. Currently, we are looking to get out of the 3rd division and largely on the back of Fryatt's goals. There is no reason to believe that we have a playing strength that is remotely up to chasing promotion to the Premiership and my guess is that we would be more likely to struggle at second tier level as I doubt if Mandaric would want to spend millions. I agree that we would need lots of replacements to be in that sort of position - but I wouldn't start the process by planning to lose one of our best assets nor by deluding ourselves that we could manipulate a scenario where Fryatt and his agent act in the club's rather than his own interests.

My attitude is irrelevant as to whether he decides to stay or not. As has already been pointed out, he gets a damn sight more support from the fans, despite under-performing for a couple of seasons. He comes under some criticism on here, but generally the Fryatt-du-du-du crap should be enough to convince him that a large majority of fans want him here.

Im slightly surprised by your last paragraph, you are constantly berating people that openly support our team in the JPT, accusing them of accepting city at an level that belies where the club belong. Yet when a poster says that we ought to be aiming to challenge the top half of the championship, i must be jesting.

The quality of the lower divisions isn't great and i firmly believe that we are where we are due to poor management not down to the quality of the players available. Thus, with the current squad and some sensible work in the transfer market, the top half of the championship isn't really that far away. When we are signing players, i am sure NP is looking sign ones that at least have the potential to play at that level. I am also sure he is looking at some of the ones we have and is happy that they are performing in league 1 but won't cut the mustard in the league above. I strongly suspect that Fryatt falls into this category and that he needs to be kept till the end of the season to give us the best chance of getting out the division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669