Post Match Ipswich 1 Leicester 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHYDAL

So how was the pitch this week? Looked a bit ropey again.

camberwell fox

Really frustrating position we find ourselves in once again.

We are now left chasing second which will take a Readingesque kind of run to achieve.

Only the most deluded of fans can realistically see us going on a ten game or so undefeated run.

I have a nasty suspicion we are going to be in an almighty scrap for sixth spot.

I also feel Pearson is a dead man walking.

I would take Warnock in the blink of an eye.

Matt_B

Really frustrating position we find ourselves in once again.

We are now left chasing second which will take a Readingesque kind of run to achieve.

Only the most deluded of fans can realistically see us going on a ten game or so undefeated run.

I have a nasty suspicion we are going to be in an almighty scrap for sixth spot.

I also feel Pearson is a dead man walking.

I would take Warnock in the blink of an eye.

Leeds are doing brilliantly

LeeCovFox

I also think Pearson is within a couple of months of losing his job. He just doesn't seem to learn and, more worryingly, he gives the impression of being a man who doesn't feel he needs to. I doubt a decision will be made before the end of the season unless an horrific run sees us looking like struggling to meet the play offs at all. Our home form should be sufficient to prevent that happening.

However I'm at the point where I wouldn't be angry if Pearson was sacked tomorrow. The more we go on dropping points to poor teams the less faith I have that he is capable of getting us promoted. And if he isn't capable of that what's the point? We're only a few points better of than we were at the same stage in his last full season and yet he has spent far more and has, I think, a much stronger team. A play off place in this league might just be his ceiling.

Just a couple of weeks ago I said we should keep Pearson on if we make the play offs this season as he will have demonstrated an ability to improve the team year on year and thus earned another go at it. I've thought about it and I've changed my mind. If we don't go up and there is somebody out there with a record of winning automatic promotion from this league in recent years then we should approach them. There are three obvious candidates for me; Nigel Adkins, Neil Warnock, and Mick McCarthy. We are capable of attracting all three. I still want Pearson to succeed. But if he doesn't do so it's time to look to somebody who can.

LeeCovFox

Leeds are doing brilliantly

He has a track record of winning automatic promotion from this league, though, which is more than our current manager has. He hasn't been backed particularly strongly at Leeds and it seems clear that their owners want him out at the end of the season. Leeds are probably doing about right for the quality of their squad.

Graz

I still feel there is much over-reaction going on here.

8 points is going to be a tough ask, but I can see Hull dropping off soon too. No one tends to put together much more than a 4/5 game run in this league still - so there's time for the form team to change about 2/3 times still this season.

Yes, we've been left wanting in physical away games, but at the end of the day we're 5th. We are not a million miles away. I still think with someone like James in yesterday, we'd have had a better chance. Pearson recognised we needed an extra striker still after adding Wood so went and got one. I'm hoping he'll now do the same in midfield. Anyone know how much longer James is out for?

It's going to be tough from here, but if we have a run like we did in January, chances are we'd be there or within touching distance again. To say it's going to need a "Reading-esque" run is massively overstating it.

I'm not incredibly optimistic now about our chances of getting 2nd, but I definitely wouldn't say it's over. Plus, I think saying we're now likely to miss out on the playoffs (as a lot seem to be saying) is getting carried away with the doom and gloom.

RHYDAL

There are three obvious candidates for me; Nigel Adkins, Neil Warnock, and Mick McCarthy. We are capable of attracting all three. I still want Pearson to succeed. But if he doesn't do so it's time to look to somebody who can.
You can easily attract them and any other manager who fancies two years pay for 6 months work.

camberwell fox

I still feel there is much over-reaction going on here.

8 points is going to be a tough ask, but I can see Hull dropping off soon too. No one tends to put together much more than a 4/5 game run in this league still - so there's time for the form team to change about 2/3 times still this season.

Yes, we've been left wanting in physical away games, but at the end of the day we're 5th. We are not a million miles away. I still think with someone like James in yesterday, we'd have had a better chance. Pearson recognised we needed an extra striker still after adding Wood so went and got one. I'm hoping he'll now do the same in midfield. Anyone know how much longer James is out for?

It's going to be tough from here, but if we have a run like we did in January, chances are we'd be there or within touching distance again. To say it's going to need a "Reading-esque" run is massively overstating it.

I'm not incredibly optimistic now about our chances of getting 2nd, but I definitely wouldn't say it's over. Plus, I think saying we're now likely to miss out on the playoffs (as a lot seem to be saying) is getting carried away with the doom and gloom.

I normally agree with you Graz but our remaining fixtures are riddled with banana skins, which we can ill afford at this point. We must win our next 2 and then take a point off Cardiff. I can't necessarily see us achieving that but if we take that as a given look at the next few.

Derby away, I would take a point right now.

Millwall at home will outmuscle us as they did at their place unless we loan a combative midfielder.

Barnsley away - banana skin.

Brighton away - I can't see us getting anything there.

I just can't see another 5 game winning run, let alone a 10 unbeaten. Particularly at this stage of the season with most teams still with something to fight for, and also as we have zero momentum.

I, as everyone else on here wants us to get promoted but I just can't see it coming via the top two and I am anxious of our fighting ability to maintain our position within the play offs.

God help us if we need to get something from Forest at the end of the season, or they do, I feel we are in a bit of trouble at the moment Matt.

LeeCovFox

You can easily attract them and any other manager who fancies two years pay for 6 months work.

Eriksson got a year and Pearson has had more than that. Yes, the reason we can attract good managers is because we can offer them money. We might as well take advantage of that. I don't actively want Pearson out now but I'm past the point of defending him. He has had money to spend and has a team he can call his own and, despite those things, it looks as though there is a point at which he is incapable of improving his own performance much further.

I wouldn't feel particularly depressed if we don't go up and he's still here in August but then I wouldn't be too upset if he is given the push either. I do think it would be a bit silly not to be looking for better options though and I'd be amazed if our owners aren't already doing so in the background.

Last edited:

Blue Maniac

Alzheimers sufferer
No, not at all.

A few wins later though...
It wouldn't be anywhere near as hostile a reception as Benitez is still getting at Ch€£$ea, even though City fans have a real reason to hate Warnock while, as far as I can tell, Chelsea fans hate Benitez because he used to manage another club.

Lako42

There is zero point in changing things now, however if we find ourselves in this pit of a division next season I would be beating down the door at Portman Road.

Billyjof

Beyond nervous few sound like the towl is being prepared to be tossed in the middle. Still got a cracking goal difference and a lot to play for. Well positioned for an attack on the playoffs.

Keep the faith. Talk or Warnock and Mick is silly talk.

Miles Away

Wow. Hope the players have a bit more about them than some of the posters.

It's a frustrating spell, we look unlikely to grab the second spot and, yes, our away form is troubling.

That said, talk of the managers future who essentially has two squads in the top six, seems uniquely "Leicester". The management chopping and changing we have done in the last ten years has really ****ed the psyche of the club and its fans.

If I was a neutral I'd think we were ****ing loons. As it is, I understand where the frustrations come from (the away form mainly) but leaning on short term fixes is what leaves businesses 30 million in debt.

Last edited:

Hazzman

He has a track record of winning automatic promotion from this league, though, which is more than our current manager has. He hasn't been backed particularly strongly at Leeds and it seems clear that their owners want him out at the end of the season. Leeds are probably doing about right for the quality of their squad.

Pearson has obstacles here too which people appear to ignore (though Redditch/BN came with a reasoned posts on this topic), it's clear there's now a wage structure and the board want see departures before arrivals.

I find Warnock's time at Leeds far more indicative of his true ability than QPR where he had a squad possessing 2/3rds a decent team. His time has gone. This division has changed since his promotion with Sheffield United.

I don't think anyone's mentioned that this is actually our best season in years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670