Lazzers Good/Bad Food Guide for Leicestershire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was back in Leicester a couple of weeks ago. It might have been mentioned on this thread before but if it hasn't (and even if it has)...

Curry Fever on Melton Road, opposite the Balmoral. I'm a big fan of Indian food and I eat a lot of it (I have to make it myself out here). My brother has been going on at me for years but I always went to a couple of other places, just because I always had. But I gave it a go this time and it was possibly the best Indian meal I've ever had. Outstanding, 10/10. The Panir Shashlik was to die for.

Went to Feast India on Saturday. Not sure why all the fuss to be honest. Don't get me wrong, it's alright, but you'd think it was the best restaurant to have ever existed the way people talk about it. It's not even the best buffet restaurant in Leicester. Concept is well worked though, decent if not spectacular food. Took hours to get a simple drinks order. 7/10.

Went to Feast India on Saturday. Not sure why all the fuss to be honest. Don't get me wrong, it's alright, but you'd think it was the best restaurant to have ever existed the way people talk about it. It's not even the best buffet restaurant in Leicester. Concept is well worked though, decent if not spectacular food. Took hours to get a simple drinks order. 7/10.

I'd agree with that review BM

Last week I went to the Crown Inn in Old Dalby (not for the first time). Yet again it was top notch. It's a small but very good menu and although it might be slightly pricier than other places, we had 3 courses each and 2 drinks each and it was still only £80, which is good value for the excellent standard of the food. Service was very good too.

Natterjacks-Braunstone gate restauarnt bar. Simple pub grub but done very well indeed. Prices from £7-£11 for a main. Nice atmosphere secent place 8/10 .

Edit : I did go early doors on a Friday evening so cant vouch for service when its busy.

Went to the Case at lunchtime today, ate off the pre-set lunch menu. It was very very good

Couldn't fault the steak or the Malbec. Had the rib-eye and it was superb. The rest was so so and therefore it was over priced. Could have done Cini for the same price.

7.5/10

Last edited:
Morrisons "select your own" salad bar - Coalville.

On the face of it, a good choice of salad items. Need to be careful though as a lot of the stuff is calorie laden - don't be fooled into thinking that because it is called a salad bar it is all good for you!

Great value at £2.09 for a regular sized plastic box that you can really fill to the brim and then squash the lid down on. A word of advice - collect a plastic bag from the grocery section first so that you can put your over-flowing salad box into it. Saves making a mess of the rest of your shopping.

Only two downsides.
- One: you can't *officially* mix the fruit bits in with the regular salad items. They expect you to use a separate box for fruity bits.
- Two: It's in Coalville - 'nuff said.

Overall value for money, got to be an eight out of ten.

Morrisons "select your own" salad bar - Coalville.

On the face of it, a good choice of salad items. Need to be careful though as a lot of the stuff is calorie laden - don't be fooled into thinking that because it is called a salad bar it is all good for you!

Great value at £2.09 for a regular sized plastic box that you can really fill to the brim and then squash the lid down on. A word of advice - collect a plastic bag from the grocery section first so that you can put your over-flowing salad box into it. Saves making a mess of the rest of your shopping.

Only two downsides.
- One: you can't *officially* mix the fruit bits in with the regular salad items. They expect you to use a separate box for fruity bits.
- Two: It's in Coalville - 'nuff said.

Overall value for money, got to be an eight out of ten.

Super lunch time treat. £2.59 for a large box. A regular choice on a Friday lunchtime from freemans common.

And what do you mean fruit? Forget that, just pack the pasta items in and squash the lid. Great value for money!

Last edited:
Bistro Pierre last night.

Spot on yet again.

Mushroom brucheta, followed by steak with Black Pepper butter and a bottle of wine £18.50.

I'm going Thurs night - feeling slightly disappointed before even getting there now :icon_sad:

Caravelli in Loughborough.

Fairly new italian run by italians which makes a change.
Food was superb, my only criticism was that the portion sizes were huge, which isn't good for the diet.The bowl of mussels for the starter was bigger than you normally get in most places as a main course.

The wine based sauce on my salmon fillet was one of the best I've ever tasted.

Approx £50 for 2 people for 3 courses including wine and other drinks.

Mumtaz - Harborough's latest addition to the St Mary's road 'curry triangle'. Its basically the old Moment of India which was famed for its troubles.

Today they had an all day buffet for £6.95 a head. Got there and we had to wait for a table to be set (there was only one other table in use!). There was very few starters left, apart from a warm salad which looked like it had been there for a few hours. The mains had a choice of only Chicken Tikka Massala or Chicken Jalf - there was naan and rice. Tasted ok, but ice cold plates meant that it all went cold very quick. The couple sat next to us ate from the main menu and were less than impressed with the cold plates and lack of lamb in a lamb madras.
Teething problems perhaps, so it was a nice touch when they added an extra tenner on to the bill when we came to leave!!!

I hope its teething problems because its a nice place, but I will be back in the bengal or the blooz from now on

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  513
2Liverpool512
3Aston Villa512
4Arsenal511
5Chelsea510
6Newcastle510
7Brighton59
8Nottm F59
9Fulham58