Post Match Leicester 0 Bournemouth 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like how people are suddenly on Vardy's back for having a few games without scoring. Thought he was unlucky on Saturday.
Naah, a Premier League striker should score there IMO. But he's allowed a couple of off-weeks, especially if injured.

Naah, a Premier League striker should score there IMO. But he's allowed a couple of off-weeks, especially if injured.
Absolutely, it was a really good chance, but it's not as if he squandered loads of chances in the game. It looked like it had hit the post and gone in from where I was sat. How disappointing

Ha I was expecting it to be honest but, bar Saturday, the fans have been superb this season. Then again, this is the first real slip and test of our character.

I think that it's important that you keep on logging acts of dissent. Mind you it might be best if you insisted that those identified completed a questionnaire just to confirm who they were actually booing. Finally, probably best not to seek to involve our previous manager in all this......you know what happened to the attempted OAP uprising of January(?) 2015. Just being helpful.

Well Howe said they wouldn't bother with the appeal as it's only the FA Cup game but he was clearly talking as much bollox as he was when he said he seen Francis win the ball perfectly from the half-way line!!

Maybe some mud from one of his studs just brushed the ball but no way did he actually win the ball.

It doesn't matter whether he won the ball or not. You're not allowed to take the player before or after taking the ball - makes no difference.

It doesn't matter whether he won the ball or not. You're not allowed to take the player before or after taking the ball - makes no difference.
That kinda doesn't make sense though does it?

It was interesting to hear Howard Webb talk about the Aguero 'penalty' against us. Although, there was clearly contact in the box with Inler missing the ball entirely, he said he wouldn't have given it. For him, contact is a natural part of the game all over the pitch and you have to interpret whether the contact is sufficient to impede the player or not, rather than simply interpret any contact as a foul.

I agree with this but it does make every contact in the box extremely subjective. Vardy goes down in the area to win penalties more than any other player and he often does it with minimal contact. Both examples against Bournemouth were in this category for me. Neither were penalties, despite there being 'minimal' contact. However, once a ref has given the penalty, he has to send off Francis and then the appeal has to be rejected because there is contact.

It was interesting to hear Howard Webb talk about the Aguero 'penalty' against us. Although, there was clearly contact in the box with Inler missing the ball entirely, he said he wouldn't have given it. For him, contact is a natural part of the game all over the pitch and you have to interpret whether the contact is sufficient to impede the player or not, rather than simply interpret any contact as a foul.

I agree with this but it does make every contact in the box extremely subjective. Vardy goes down in the area to win penalties more than any other player and he often does it with minimal contact. Both examples against Bournemouth were in this category for me. Neither were penalties, despite there being 'minimal' contact. However, once a ref has given the penalty, he has to send off Francis and then the appeal has to be rejected because there is contact.
Why do you think the one he got was not a penalty?

Why do you think the one he got was not a penalty?

For exactly the reason in the above post. There was contact but it wasn't a foul. If that challenge had happened in the centre circle it would have been called a good tackle.

For some reason, we consider challenges in the penalty area as somehow different from those elsewhere. It happens all the time at corners with clear fouls being ignored.

For exactly the reason in the above post. There was contact but it wasn't a foul. If that challenge had happened in the centre circle it would have been called a good tackle.

Of course it was a foul. The defender took his legs. The fact that it wouldn't be given if it occurred in the centre circle (if that is in fact true) is the problem.

For some reason, we consider challenges in the penalty area as somehow different from those elsewhere. It happens all the time at corners with clear fouls being ignored.

Most of the "clear fouls" that happen at corners occur when the ball is out of play.

Agree with your second point and to an extent with your first point. However, I think the penalty Vardy got was correct. By moving his body in between Francis and the ball, he provokes the situation. Yes, Francis gets a toe on the ball, but he doesn't get it away and Vardy still has the goal scoring opportunity. That is if he had been able to stay on his feet, which Francis prevented him from doing. I agree that Vardy too often seeks penalties and it annoys me a bit. He did it in that situation too and was successful in doing it. Correct decision by the ref this time.

I think the fact that the red card was appealed and rejected (presumably they've now watched various replays), pretty much ends the argument.

But it's odd that two of the best referees we've had in the game (Howard Webb and Dermot Gallagher) have both said it was the wrong decision.

I think this just goes to show how ridiculously subjective decisions are within football.

...this just goes to show how ridiculously subjective decisions are within football.

...and why Referees Chart devotes more than 80 pages of advice to officials on how they should interpret the 17 simple laws.

Of course it was a foul. The defender took his legs. The fact that it wouldn't be given if it occurred in the centre circle (if that is in fact true) is the problem. Most of the "clear fouls" that happen at corners occur when the ball is out of play.

It wasn't obviously a foul at all. For example, they all agreed on MOTD that it was a good tackle. Eddie Howe described it as the best tackle against Vardy this season.

It's subjective and this is why we need more consistency across the pitch. Fouls occur at every corner when the ball is in play.

The solution to all this is video evidence if it's done properly like in Cricket and Tennis.

It seems like most of the pundits switched off their brains once Francis touched the ball and never considered that he didn't actually clear the ball.

What Eddie Howe says bears no relevance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566