Post Match Leicester 0 Millwall 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If people want to criticise Sven, that's their perogative, but doing it by trying to slate his outstanding record as a manager is ridiculous.

You are only as good as your last appointment.

Would one of the "slow build" advocates please list an 18 - 20 man squad, based upon the players on the books at the end of last season, with one or two additions?
-Thank you.

I've answered this question previously. I'd have targeted five players - a goalkeeper, a right-back, a creative midfielder, a winger and a striker.

So we'd have been

Schmeichel
Weale

Peltier
Tunchev
Hobbs
Berner
Bamba
Parkes (back-up)
Moore (back-up)

King
Oakley
Wellens
Abe
Dyer
Gallagher
Another midfielder
Another winger

Howard
Waghorn
Nugent
Vassell
Schlupp

Decent enough...probably short of a left-back and a striker. Biggest laugh is the defence....Tunchev was part of a Palace team which find themselves currently in playoffs, Jack Hobbs also part of a back four who are above us.

Last edited:
Sorry but im getting the feeling that they dont want to play for sven,no motivation from the bench yet again.

You don't have to scream and shout at people to motivate them and you don't have to jump aorund in your technical area like a ****ing lunatic to get your point across either. If you're a good manager, all this work should be done in the changing rooms before the match and at half time - everyone should know exactly what it is they're supposed to be doing during the match before they set foot onto the field. I've often thought, when I've seen manager's screaming from the touchline during a match, why is it that your players are so unprepared for this half that you've got to scream your instructions out across the pitch (so all the opposition players can hear exactly what you're telling them to do too)?

As for the players not wanting to play for Sven, I'd chuck that theory out straight away - in every interview I've read with a Leicester player this season, they're quick to point out how much respect they have for Sven, how he played a big part in their decision to sign for the club and how much they enjoy playing for him - even yesterday Gallagher was saying what a great manager he is on the radio during the Millwall commentary.

You are only as good as your last appointment.

Well, excluding international jobs, which requires a completely different kind of management, his last club job was Man City, where he did a great job!

If you're a good manager, all this work should be done in the changing rooms before the match and at half time

You are wrong (IMHO). The really good managers are capable of changing the course of a game DURING the game either by means of effective substitutions or changing tactics.

Using your criteria, if you need to change something 20 minutes into the second half you are ****ed.

Last edited:
You are wrong (IMHO). The really good managers are capable of changing the course of a game DURING the game either by means of effective substitutions or changing tactics.

Of course, that also assumes having the correct players on the bench in the first place.

Against the likes of Millwall we were crying out for Howard to come on yesterday but he hadn't been made available.

I was pleased to see an unchanged line-up, possibly (in hindsight) yesterday was the time to change a winning team, (if 3 games in 7 days is too much for some).The same midfield 4 as v Derby may have been better, that said we should be beating these teams whatever team we field!

I'd guess none, but that would mean it was made up, reactionary nonsense so I thought I'd give you the benefit of the doubt.

Reactionary nonsense !! I dont think so, if i posted within 30 minutes of the match finishing then maybe. If the players are not affected by losing at home 3 times in 7 games and all against teams that can only dream about the resources we have, then i'd suggest their attitude is all wrong. Losing home games like this is showing weakness to our rivals, that is why i consider it psychologically damaging.

I've answered this question previously. I'd have targeted five players - a goalkeeper, a right-back, a creative midfielder, a winger and a striker.

So we'd have been

Schmeichel
Weale

Peltier
Tunchev
Hobbs
Berner
Bamba
Parkes (back-up)
Moore (back-up)

King
Oakley
Wellens
Abe
Dyer
Gallagher
Another midfielder
Another winger

Howard
Waghorn
Nugent
Vassell
Schlupp

Decent enough...probably short of a left-back and a striker. Biggest laugh is the defence....Tunchev was part of a Palace team which find themselves currently in playoffs, Jack Hobbs also part of a back four who are above us.

Firstly sir, I congratulate you: you were able to spot the players who have settled in quickly, and currently appear to be the better signings. My next question; would these players have signed for a run of the mill team? Schmeichel in particular, may have felt that Leeds was a better option to your squad.

Oh dear. checked the socres while I was at work and my oh my was this a shocker. Huge feeling of disappointment and it doesn't sound like we were ever going to come back either. I don't know whether this is anywhere near accurate but it seems Sven's cool, calm response to everything is beginning to rub off on the players- and that's not going to work in the championship. We haven't yet got the quality in the squad to unsettle teams with an unerring calm- we need to earn the right to do that first, and you get that challenging everything all the time. Instead of trying to pass it around and walk it in we need to be making the most of 2 strikers who are the type who like running at Players- I have seen Beckford do it to teams and Nugent do it to others.

If we are to get promoted, Svennis needs to inspire in the players a fightback at some point. How many times have we come back from being down this season? It's either very few or none.

We need drive, purpose, intent- something that neither Sven nor captain Matt Mills with his signing-on fee's Audi R8 is currently giving us. Perhaps he should have promised it to himself after promotion!

My belief in Eriksson's ability to get us promoted is fast disappearing. Like many others I have for weeks being bemoaning our lack of creativity and width. Nobody in the midfield seems willing (or perhaps able) to move into space. We get to the final third of the pitch and the movement stops. I never feel that we are going to score when we go forward. We are entirely predictable. The most frustrating aspect of this for me is that Eriksson is well capable of getting us playing fast, fluid, attacking football.

There was a spell last season during which I felt we would score every time we attacked. From which I can only conclude that he has gone this way by choice. I rate Eriksson highly as a manager. But I really don't think he has what it takes to get us promoted as things stand. But I don't advocate sacking him just yet. As much as failing to win promotion would rightly be regarded as abject failure (given our expenditure), I don't see who else is available that could turn is into a potent attacking force with the current personnel.

I also think that there are problems at the club which run far deeper than that which manifests itself on the pitch. There is a problem of attitudes at the club, starting from the very top. The owners have clearly meant well, and haven't hesitated to spend their money. Unfortunately their approach is naive in the extreme. Spending money alone will not bring about success. And nor is combining such spending with the biggest name managers available necessarily a recipe for glory. I should declare my interest by admitting that I have always been cynical about these owners anyway. I dislike what they have brought to the club and I think that eventually they will become fed up and leave us in real financial trouble. But that aside, I believe that they need to change their approach.

If it is true that before their arrival they demanded the replacement of Nigel Pearson by Paulo Sousa in spite of the former's success here, then I'm afraid that speaks volumes for their lack of knowledge of the game. Even if that is not true the appointment of Eriksson suggests to me that they are easily seduced by football's celebrities ahead of managers who have a history of sustained (relative) success in English football (I believe Eriksson was an excellent England manager, but international football is a different animal to club football). Fortunately such attitudes can change. If Eriksson fails they may well learn that the fame of a prospective manager is not the most important consideration. I certainly hope so.

Last edited:
My lad's just come in with another bottle of red.

Hard to believe that we are still in October, and ONLY 2 points away from the top 6.

Improvement? where were we this time last year?

Oh well, I'm sure some Manure fans will be calling for SAF to be sacked.
Fickle boneheads everywhere!!!

Eriksson made his name in club football didn't he? As do most managers...

I'm not sure if he will get us promoted or not, but you can't argue with his CV.

The expectation last season was lesser, and Sven had inherited a squad which was little more than a set of players who happened to have a good season. There is no way you can compare this season with last- Sven was given whatever budget and was briefed that instead of just creating a squad, it was expected to challenge.

No compariosn- Sven needs to get the players to play harder, and that takes a bit of grit. I hope he is able to turn it around because I have no doubt that if we get promoted now we would survive in the prem- a league Sven knows better.

The expectation last season was lesser, and Sven had inherited a squad which was little more than a set of players who happened to have a good season. There is no way you can compare this season with last- Sven was given whatever budget and was briefed that instead of just creating a squad, it was expected to challenge.

No compariosn- Sven needs to get the players to play harder, and that takes a bit of grit. I hope he is able to turn it around because I have no doubt that if we get promoted now we would survive in the prem- a league Sven knows better.

They play the same ****ing football in both leagues.

A decent job at Notts County- ha ha!!! A great job for England!!

Please tell me you are taking the piss. Tell me a manager with a better record for England since Alf Ramsey?

Bloody hell... you'd think we were already relegated reading some of this.

I hate it when we don't have midweek games.... means all the doom and gloom will last at least another week.

I still think Sven get us promoted, but do agree we need more options in the midfield. I don't agree that our midfielders lack creativity, but just (as I've said before) that we lack width and midfielders that will give us different options to stretch teams. We do better against the top teams because they won't just sit. Teams like Millwall are happy to sit and try and snatch a result and we have to grind them down.. This is when you need width and pace to get round teams. I'm sure Sven can see this too though and will be working on a way to fix it. These things take time though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669