People That Piss You Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had that at Primary school, but then it was a Catholic school so kind of expected. I have to say after 11 years of schooling and having religion rammed down your throat, it does turn you against it somewhat.

We were given the option to get the lad out of the Mormon assembly. Sod it, I thought, the best way to emphasise what a bunch of pricks they all are is to make him sit through an hour of their drivel. He's hitting puberty - the very last thing he gives a shit about now is religion.

...although, thinking about it, the option of multiple partners may be appealing. Bollocks. I may have royally cocked up.

...although, thinking about it, the option of multiple partners may be appealing. Bollocks. I may have royally cocked up.

Don't forget about the magical underwear. Who wouldn't want magic undercrackers?

At Xmas it was like Christ had risen from the dead and was going to breakdance for us in the hall.

That's just wrong. Everybody knows that should be at Easter!

It isn't pointless to me that my 6 year old is 'taught' bible stories as fact and makes visits to the local church where a vicar talks to the children about god. In this day and age, I find this astonishing at a bog standard primary school.

I want my daughter to be educated about religion but not indoctrinated at 6 years old. When I counter the 'lessons' by explaining them to be stories like Snow White etc, she looks at me puzzled and confused because I'm contradicting her teachers. And don't get me started on the sight of 4-5 year old muslim kids being frog marched in mosques every evening for their education.

There is no more important battle for me.

OK, so I'm playing devil's advocate here, but by "explaining" bible stories to be "like Snow White" aren't you being just as bad on the other side of the argument as the school, by categorically stating that these stories are fiction. Surely if you "want your daughter to be educated about religion", you should be explaining that some people see them as fact, some as fiction?

For the record, (a) I think religion should be taught in this context at school (i.e. here are all of the different religions and non-religions that people believe, you can make up your own mind if one / none of them is for you), and (b) you obviously have the right to teach your daughter almost whatever you like, and certainly with regards to religion.

For the record, (a) I think religion should be taught in this context at school (i.e. here are all of the different religions and non-religions that people believe, you can make up your own mind if one / none of them is for you), and (b) you obviously have the right to teach your daughter almost whatever you like, and certainly with regards to religion.

And does that include the historical development of religion including the acquisition of power & wealth and the abuse of individuals by members of the church in the name of the church?

The simple fact is that there is no time within a curriculum to fully explore religion and so what is left is a superficial coverage of the main ones, no in depth analysis and absolutely no coverage of atheism and the reasons for it.

In my opinion, if there can be no fair coverage of the subject it shouldn't be covered at all.

OK, so I'm playing devil's advocate here, but by "explaining" bible stories to be "like Snow White" aren't you being just as bad on the other side of the argument as the school, by categorically stating that these stories are fiction. Surely if you "want your daughter to be educated about religion", you should be explaining that some people see them as fact, some as fiction?
Think he's just exercising the right you mention as (b).

I think it's fine, of course, to teach your children whatever you want (when it comes to personal faith, that is). Preferably by telling them about the options, too, but sooner or later they'll be old enough to find out about them anyway. No-one can know for sure they have the truth and it would just be silly to tell parents what they should or should not teach their children.

Last edited:

Your points are all good ones.

The reality is that a 6 year old struggles to separate fiction from reality. My main concern is that no mind is sophisticated enough at this age to be 'educated' about religion. Therefore, what the school and churches etc are doing to young children is pure indoctrination and I think that this is sick.

What I did in relating bible stories to fairy stories was to try to separate them from reality in a way that she understands. She can decide for herself whether they are fact or fiction when she is at an age where she can make such informed decisions.

I did actually try to explain that some people believe the stories are true and some don't. However, this resulted in her saying this to another child in her class who then reacted badly and said her Mummy and Daddy say it's true etc so my daughter was wrong.

Personally, I don't think that religion should be taught in school because it is not something that has any place in the education system. It's a belief that some people have largely because their parents/teachers/churches indoctrinated them.

I believe 100% that religion is man made and an ancient and outdated way of explaining the world that has had no valid educational relevance for 150 years.

The reality is that a 6 year old struggles to separate fiction from reality. My main concern is that no mind is sophisticated enough at this age to be 'educated' about religion. Therefore, what the school and churches etc are doing to young children is pure indoctrination and I think that this is sick.

What I did in relating bible stories to fairy stories was to try to separate them from reality in a way that she understands. She can decide for herself whether they are fact or fiction when she is at an age where she can make such informed decisions.

I did actually try to explain that some people believe the stories are true and some don't. However, this resulted in her saying this to another child in her class who then reacted badly and said her Mummy and Daddy say it's true etc so my daughter was wrong.

Personally, I don't think that religion should be taught in school because it is not something that has any place in the education system. It's a belief that some people have largely because their parents/teachers/churches indoctrinated them.

I believe 100% that religion is man made and an ancient and outdated way of explaining the world that has had no valid educational relevance for 150 years.

Out of interest, does your daughter get visited by the Tooth Fairy and Santa?

I got taught all about religion when I was younger, I went to church with my parents when I was younger as well. But once I was older, I looked into it myself and made up my own mind on the subject.

In my opinion if you want to believe in something; a God, Santa, the Tooth Fairy, Leicester as play-off contenders, or anything else that there's not a shred of evidence for, you will if you want to. If you don't believe, you won't believe. No-one can force you to believe something you don't.

If you can't objectively question the things that people have told you once you're old enough to find out things for yourself, then you only have yourself to blame. Kids grow out of believing in Santa. Why should religion be any different?

I'm just talking from my personal experience, obviously.

I agree with just about everything you say here. I believe in God, so not quite all, but I'll let the last paragraph go! I absolutely don't think any school should teach kids about religion in a partisan fashion (i.e. this is the only one, this is correct, or this is what you should believe), but an education system with no mention of religion creates a gaping hole in terms of how it relates to many other subjects. History / Current Affairs / Politics are all easy examples here - how do you even begin to correctly tackle subjects such as the Crusades, the Palestinian conflict or even 9/11 without a decent grasp of religious teaching? Maybe not to a 6-year old, but religion has to have some role in an education system.

And does that include the historical development of religion including the acquisition of power & wealth and the abuse of individuals by members of the church in the name of the church?
The simple fact is that there is no time within a curriculum to fully explore religion and so what is left is a superficial coverage of the main ones, no in depth analysis and absolutely no coverage of atheism and the reasons for it.

In my opinion, if there can be no fair coverage of the subject it shouldn't be covered at all.

Absolutely it should, if taught in an objectionable, knowledgable way. As for whether there is time in the curriculum for religion, I believe that there has to be, as per my post to BN just now.

Absolutely it should, if taught in an objectionable, knowledgable way. As for whether there is time in the curriculum for religion, I believe that there has to be, as per my post to BN just now.

What do you plan on dropping from the syllabus then?

I make no bones about it, I refuse to teach RE. If I am not allowed to teach evolution and atheism I will not be party to a process of indoctrination through accepted beliefs which lend credence to intelligent design.

There is not enough time to deliver current curriculum contents, for other things to be added stuff has to be taken away.

I agree with just about everything you say here. I believe in God, so not quite all, but I'll let the last paragraph go! I absolutely don't think any school should teach kids about religion in a partisan fashion (i.e. this is the only one, this is correct, or this is what you should believe), but an education system with no mention of religion creates a gaping hole in terms of how it relates to many other subjects. History / Current Affairs / Politics are all easy examples here - how do you even begin to correctly tackle subjects such as the Crusades, the Palestinian conflict or even 9/11 without a decent grasp of religious teaching? Maybe not to a 6-year old, but religion has to have some role in an education system.

I agree that religion is a key factor in most conflicts and wars and that this fact should be emphasised at some point to young people. If they've not been indoctrinated by this point, and such events are explained as they occurred, I'd back almost all young minds to regard god(s) with the contempt it/they deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa613
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Tottenham 610
9Brighton69