Stringer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody will know that Nigel Pearson has been irked by many of the questions put to him by Ian Stringer for some time. It is my understanding that the final straw came in the first half of the game at Pride Park when in commentary IS questioned the reason for NP's absence from the bench/technical area and for some time suggested that he wasn't at the game at all. I can't remember his exact words and in a way his exact words are not important; listeners were left with the clear impression that IS considered that the team's lack of performance was down to the absence of NP. As it turned out, NP *was* at the game and apparently had good reason not to be in the technical area at that time. I thought at the time that IS was going over-the-top about it; clearly NP agrees in spades.

Hmm. Seems like an over-reaction from the club, probably due to our poor results. I heard the piece of commentary and as far as I remember it was nothing more than 'I haven't seen Nigel Pearson today, is he even at the match? We'll find out at half-time', as I remember not seeing Pearson at the Reading match when I glanced at the touchline I was quite interested to find out. Now I could definitely see how the club would be annoyed with some of his (probably naive) comments and tweets, re the Brown thing etc. and I could even see that they could get him suspended for a couple of matches, but not talking to Radio Leicester at all (which I believe they haven't for over a week?) especially when the station has been in a long sloppy anal kiss with the club over every difficult issue that fans want raised, seems like just touchiness on their part over the recent wobble in form.

(ETA: Of course, if this tactic leads to better results I'm not sure many people will complain)

Last edited:
Hmm. Seems like an over-reaction from the club, probably due to our poor results. I heard the piece of commentary and as far as I remember it was nothing more than 'I haven't seen Nigel Pearson today, is he even at the match? We'll find out at half-time', as I remember not seeing Pearson at the Reading match when I glanced at the touchline I was quite interested to find out. Now I could definitely see how the club would be annoyed with some of his (probably naive) comments and tweets, re the Brown thing etc. and I could even see that they could get him suspended for a couple of matches, but not talking to Radio Leicester at all (which I believe they haven't for over a week?) especially when the station has been in a long sloppy anal kiss with the club over every difficult issue that fans want raised, seems like just touchiness on their part over the recent wobble in form.

(ETA: Of course, if this tactic leads to better results I'm not sure many people will complain)
Good post, but I can't see how not talking to RL is going to improve our results whatsoever. If there using that as an excuse its a bit pathetic.

Long live the Fourth Estate! (even if Stringer is a nob)

When Barber left, I thought yes get rid of the sheep following retard.
In his place, came along Ian Stringer. his first few commentaries gave the appearance that he was a witty, City fan.

As time has evolved I'm left questioning both!

When you tell a joke, if you have to keep retelling it or explaining it, it's no longer funny.
In fact, just the opposite.
If you're a City fan, why sound so excited when the opposition score? Why sound like you want a City player to get booked or sent off? Why sound like that you want the opposition to score?

Close the door on your way out Mr Stringer.

Next?

I have heard him telling listeners that it was an awful decision NOT to give a penalty or NOT to send someone off. Problem is, he was arguing for a penalty to be given to the OPPOSITION or for one of OUR players to be sent off.

If you're a City fan, why sound so excited when the opposition score? Why sound like you want a City player to get booked or sent off? Why sound like that you want the opposition to score?

Eggsactly.

:038: Couldn't have put it better (or possibly so well) myself. Stringer isn't perfect but, for we remote fans, he does a pretty good job.

Disagree...He does my head in.

As previously stated, I listen to find out what is going on, not him. He just wasn't very good at informing the listeners as to what was going on in the game.

And I don't need my commentator to be a fan, in fact, I'd rather he wasn't.

Last edited:
My experience is that when someone who is bad at the job is no longer there they have usually been promoted.

Clubs usually try and keep on good terms with the local media and Nigel does not seem the type to be quick to take offence. I cannot believe the club would ban interviews because of inept commentary. Where clubs take offence is for seriously damaging allegations. . An example is Robbie Savage (for once rightly) complaining about Radio Derby. The station had used that staple of bad journalism an "unknown source" to claim that there was a feeling within the club that the management team was not up to the job.

In the early 1970s Frank O'Farrell clashed with the Leicester Mercury at criticisms in the Mercury that he did not know his best side. After the player had left he told a meeting I attended that he would only pick Davie Gibson after he had seen the pitch was in good condition but had been unable to say this at the time.

There can be times when the local media are right to criticize the club. They would have been right to complain at the clash between Elsom and Pierrepoint when the chairman and manager were banned from writing in the club programme was one. More recently the Year of Four Managers was another.

However, if Radio Leicester have made strong criticisms of the club in recent weeks then I think they are out of order. The club has been admirably run since Pearson, Shakespeare and Walsh arrived.

Good post, but I can't see how not talking to RL is going to improve our results whatsoever. If there using that as an excuse its a bit pathetic.

Long live the Fourth Estate! (even if Stringer is a nob)

The only reason I could see is from a superstitious/attitude point-of-view (ie don't let the players hear the negative comments and/or Stringer constantly saying that we're nailed on for the playoffs), but it seemed like they were talking to the OS and the Merc still.

Pretty sure I caught the end of a Pearson interview on RL this morning so it seems the issue might be resolved?

The only reason I could see is from a superstitious/attitude point-of-view (ie don't let the players hear the negative comments and/or Stringer constantly saying that we're nailed on for the playoffs), but it seemed like they were talking to the OS and the Merc still.

Pretty sure I caught the end of a Pearson interview on RL this morning so it seems the issue might be resolved?

Interview was with radio five reporter though, not radio Leicester, so the issue probably not resolved!

Interesting that todays interview on Radio Leicester with Jack Hobbs wasn't done by Ian Stringer even though he was doing the sports round up on the evening news.

He did sound quite contrite and less exuberant than usual. I wonder what actually went on?

Interesting that todays interview on Radio Leicester with Jack Hobbs wasn't done by Ian Stringer even though he was doing the sports round up on the evening news.

He did sound quite contrite and less exuberant than usual. I wonder what actually went on?

Its obvious Strings has been shagging Hobb's girlfriend ( she's a cracker by the way ) and is now out of the loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669