The hysterically annoying and totally unfounded, but traditional, Summer 2024 rumours thread.

I agree to some level. Striker is priority.

But you get the deals done as you can, particularly at this stage of the window. And you'd hope we're capable of doing both simultaneously.

The word was we wanted to add another attacking mid and a striker - so seems this is one part of that ticked off.

Cooper clearly likes a big squad...
90 million spent so far.... It's a lot of cash for what we've seen coming in

Genuinely don’t understand how it adds up, unless we’re doing a Chelsea on contracts.
The following top level salaries have left in the last two years:

Barnes
Maddison
Nacho
Praet
Tielemans
Albrighton
Castagne
Cags
Evans
Amartey
Mendy
Bertrand
Dewsbury-Hall

Conservatively thats about 40+ million in wages. That's before we account for expected relief on Soumare, Iversen, Cannon, Souttar, Ward and Thomas, either via transfer/loan or eventual contract expiring.

Obviously we've replaced a few of those, but very few of the replacements will command the salaries of those listed above. So there's almost certainly room on the wages side.

On the transfer fee side of things, this is part of the reason I think Mads will go.

I'm struggling to think of any available striker that we could afford or who would want to be here.

Maybe thats just how it is so we're getting done what we can get done.

Genuinely don’t understand how it adds up, unless we’re doing a Chelsea on contracts.
If you sign him for 4 years for 20m it is basically £5m per year.

We sold KDH and let Maresca go for around 50m pure profit. We could sign a lot of these and still not overspend. The issue is 1) Wages; and 2) whether they are any good and have any sell on value. We can’t do a Chelsea and collect 40 odd players.

I'm going to stop worrying about the cost of players, their wages and their worth. I'm assuming that the people in charge know far better than me..... I'm like a toddler questioning his parents.....

"Dad why are you spending that crazy amount on a motorbike, we could buy a lifetimes supply of lollies for that?" "Dad, why are you spending so much on beer, where's the value in that?" "Mum, why are the men taking our telly away?" "Dad, wheres mum gone? I like living in this caravan, this is a long holiday.....what happened to our big house?"

I'm going to stop worrying about the cost of players, their wages and their worth. I'm assuming that the people in charge know far better than me..... I'm like a toddler questioning his parents.....

"Dad why are you spending that crazy amount on a motorbike, we could buy a lifetimes supply of lollies for that?" "Dad, why are you spending so much on beer, where's the value in that?" "Mum, why are the men taking our telly away?" "Dad, wheres mum gone? I like living in this caravan, this is a long holiday.....what happened to our big house?"
That’s dark.

Jesus

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46
10Manchester U46