The hysterically annoying and totally unfounded, but traditional, Summer 2024 rumours thread.

Well that's complete wank

We appear to have had no actual strategy for this transfer window, other than maybe 'we need some blokes with Premier League 'experience', regardless of what position they are or how good they are. Leaving us with 37 year old Vardy, a totally shite (and injured) Daka, and filling in with the likes of Ayew is a ridiculous position to be in

But I don't actually know that, so probably not allowed to speculate about it, apparently

It's mad, our priority positions at the start of the window looked like being ST and LB, and we've signed neither.

Ayew, BDCR are good squad players with Prem experience. Buonanatte and Bilal are potentially exciting additions and we needed creativity in midfield, but did we need both. Skipp is probably an improvement to give us a stronger midfield but is it enough of an upgrade for the price we've paid?

While I don't think any of them are terrible signings individually, I wouldn't say any of those signings make us significantly better...

It's concerning for sure.

I have no real problem with Cannon going. I know others are annoyed about it and him not being given a chance, but if the manager doesn't rate him and we can sell him for a fee then generally it's probably right to. And if you look at the level of club he's being linked to then it doesn't feel like we've just missed a gem here...

But...

Selling a striker when we need to sign a striker and haven't done seems mad. If this opens up the option to bring someone better in then go for it. But leaving ourselves even lighter up front seems mad.

I don't have a problem with selling Cannon. I do have a problem with loaning him out.

WOTS is that he's refused a permanent move and will only go on loan. Wonder whether he thinks that there will probably be a new manager when he gets back.

£90m spent and we have huge weaknesses both defensively and up front. We've got a shiny new midfielder though whose numbers suggest he's not great at scoring goals or creating them so that'll be smashing.

If this is the end of our transfer window business then we are really going to struggle even more than than I thought we might.

£90m spent and we have huge weaknesses both defensively and up front. We've got a shiny new midfielder though whose numbers suggest he's not great at scoring goals or creating them so that'll be smashing.

If this is the end of our transfer window business then we are really going to struggle even more than than I thought we might.
I’m going to go the other way and say that I’m fairly happy with the window.

90m spent showing intent to fight, very easily could have spent nothing and claimed we were suffering from PSR etc.

Players have come in that have already shown fight and an identity under the new manager, and we haven’t seen them all yet.

Exciting young talent as well as experienced old heads. The latter which I felt cost us dearly when we lost Schmeichel last time around.

For me keeping Mads and signing Fatawu were crucial.

Not worried too much about lack of striker, as attacking options have been bought and it seems apparent to me that fast breakaways and wingers is going to be our main style, which I don’t mind.

Not disastrous in my mind, I can see why others may worry, but I think it’s okay.

I’m going to go the other way and say that I’m fairly happy with the window.

90m spent showing intent to fight, very easily could have spent nothing and claimed we were suffering from PSR etc.

Players have come in that have already shown fight and an identity under the new manager, and we haven’t seen them all yet.

Exciting young talent as well as experienced old heads. The latter which I felt cost us dearly when we lost Schmeichel last time around.

For me keeping Mads and signing Fatawu were crucial.

Not worried too much about lack of striker, as attacking options have been bought and it seems apparent to me that fast breakaways and wingers is going to be our main style, which I don’t mind.

Not disastrous in my mind, I can see why others may worry, but I think it’s okay.
Spot on.

A striker would top it off, but overall I’m pretty pleased. It just means Vardy will be playing more than anticipated (which I like), and we’ll be using BDCR and Ayew in that position sometimes.

I do like the blend of some experienced, scrappy Premier League heads who know what this league is all about and how to survive it, along with the young exciting talent.

The problem is that the gaps we still have are pretty important ones, especially given what we have seen so far. I'm also not sure why Okoli or Golding were brought in to watch games unfold, especially given our performances so far.

I just think there seems to be very little thought as to the players we need; instead it seems to be players that the management want instead.

The problem is that the gaps we still have are pretty important ones, especially given what we have seen so far. I'm also not sure why Okoli or Golding were brought in to watch games unfold, especially given our performances so far.

I just think there seems to be very little thought as to the players we need; instead it seems to be players that the management want instead.
I don’t think LB is a problem, Kristiansen has the fight and work rate needed. I’ve already said about striker, we have attacking options.

Past experience has shown that throwing in players with no English football history doesn’t always go too well, especially against Spurs, in my opinion one of the best attacking sides in the league. No surprise we don’t change the back 4 in the game against Fulham… too early to see whether he will be first team, or second choice to inevitable injuries, rotation and suspension.

Golding is a strange one, I know absolutely nothing about him. My feeling is it is PSR related. Allowing Chelsea to sign KDH as long as we buy one of their youth. I didn’t expect a complete unknown from Chelsea youth to jump straight into the team.

I don’t think LB is a problem, Kristiansen has the fight and work rate needed. I’ve already said about striker, we have attacking options.

Past experience has shown that throwing in players with no English football history doesn’t always go too well, especially against Spurs, in my opinion one of the best attacking sides in the league. No surprise we don’t change the back 4 in the game against Fulham… too early to see whether he will be first team, or second choice to inevitable injuries, rotation and suspension.

Golding is a strange one, I know absolutely nothing about him. My feeling is it is PSR related. Allowing Chelsea to sign KDH as long as we buy one of their youth. I didn’t expect a complete unknown from Chelsea youth to jump straight into the team.
LB was certainly a problem against Fulham. As was RB. I'd swap Justin to LB and bring in Ricardo at RB personally but if Cooper doesn't want to do that and, inexplicably, continues to leave Ricardo out then we are relying on Kristiansen who has had one decent game for us followed a by a return to the type of performance that led to him being shipped out.

After the first half against Fulham (and Spurs) it was obvious that going to a back three would have helped us out massively. Okoli was sitting in the bench doing nothing whilst Rome burned.

I understand that it's early days so these things don't worry me much, or at least they wouldn't if we had some more options. As it happens, our options at LB are non existent and our options up front are the same. That's a concern whichever way you look at it.

We're two games in and finding our feet so things aren't going to be pretty or easy, but we needed to do ourselves the favour of being able to change it up when we needed to score a goal or when we needed to shut up shop. Seemingly at least, we've done neither, really.

Fundamentally, all the players we were being linked with as last season ended haven't happened because the manager left unexpectedly and we replaced him with someone with a totally different set of requirements. That scuppered everything that Martyn Glover wanted to do.

We then start on a new set of targets and they all see what is likely to be a shit show of a season and run in the opposite direction. So a window of pragmatism was necessary.

I'd much rather that we play it safe this transfer window than go mad.

However, it feels like we've done neither. We've spent about £75m on either unproven players or those with no resale value. That doesn't make any sense to me. It's neither spending to survive or saving every penny.

We also appear to have failed (yet again) to move on any of the squad players that are clearly nothing but a drain in wages and morale by being around the place.

The other thing is that we haven't used up our loan quota. Why on earth wouldn't we have at least one more loan in place? I think we're allowed up to four in a season.

It all screams random panic. A manager begging for more options and a club incapable of doing basic things right.

It all screams random panic. A manager begging for more options and a club incapable of doing basic things right.
Or a manager and his team who have identified targets (that may or may not turn out to be the right ones) being backed to the tune of more than £75m.

But that's not the narrative.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46
10Manchester U46